Martial Law To Be Lifted In 40 Provinces Of Thailand

Jai Dee

Martial law to be lifted in 40 provinces of Thailand

The Council for National Security (CNS) of Thailand, founded after the Sept. 19 coup, will propose for cabinet approval on Tuesday the lifting of martial law in some 40 provinces across the country.

CNS's chairman Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin said Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will decide whether to lift the law in Bangkok or not.

"If something happens in Bangkok, the prime minister will be responsible for handling it. So I will leave him to decide whether Bangkok should be remained under the law or not," Sonthi was quoted by local media on Monday as saying.

"Parts of the far south and the north and northeast, particularly the border provinces, would remain under martial law. CNS will forward the decision to the Cabinet for approval," Sonthi said.

The cabinet will meet Tuesday to consider the proposal. Earlier, Defense Minister Gen. Boonrawd Somtas said that the law would be remained in northern Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Buri Ram and Surin where pro-Thaksin groups are still active.

Sonthi also said that in most of the northern and northeastern provinces, martial law would remain in place because there are some reports of supporting for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Sonthi insisted that the law should remain there because of what he described as anti-coup "undercurrents."

While in the violence-plagued south, Sonthi said he wanted to keep the martial law in deep southern provinces where suspected militants have intensified their attacks on people.

Source: Xinhua - 28 November 2006

Thai military council advises partial lifting of martial law

Thailand's military coup-making Council for National Security (CNS) proposed Monday that martial law -- imposed after September 19 coup d'etat -- should be revoked in over 40 provinces out of 76 provinces.

CNS chairman and Army Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said on Monday afternoon after a CNS meeting that they agreed unanimously with CNS Secretary-General Gen Winai Phattiyakul’s proposal to lift the maritial law in provinces not along the border with neighbouring countries and likely free from political disturbance.

As for Bangkok, the CNS members believed the martial law should be maintained because a political disturbance is highly probable. Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will make the decision on when to revoke it, according to Gen Sonthi.

He added that the three insurgency-plagued southern border provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat are still under military restriction as well as some provinces in the North and Northeast.

The populous northern and northeastern regions are still considered to be political strongholds of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Meanwhile, the premier commented briefly on the issue, saying only that it needs to be discussed within the Cabinet meeting. However, he did not say whether the issue will be high on the agenda of the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Source: TNA - 28 November 2006

Thai military council advises partial lifting of martial law

Thailand's military coup-making Council for National Security (CNS) proposed Monday that martial law -- imposed after September 19 coup d'etat -- should be revoked in over 40 provinces out of 76 provinces.

CNS chairman and Army Chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin said on Monday afternoon after a CNS meeting that they agreed unanimously with CNS Secretary-General Gen Winai Phattiyakul’s proposal to lift the maritial law in provinces not along the border with neighbouring countries and likely free from political disturbance.

As for Bangkok, the CNS members believed the martial law should be maintained because a political disturbance is highly probable. Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will make the decision on when to revoke it, according to Gen Sonthi.

He added that the three insurgency-plagued southern border provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat are still under military restriction as well as some provinces in the North and Northeast.

The populous northern and northeastern regions are still considered to be political strongholds of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Meanwhile, the premier commented briefly on the issue, saying only that it needs to be discussed within the Cabinet meeting. However, he did not say whether the issue will be high on the agenda of the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Source: TNA - 28 November 2006

What steps are they bringing about to end martial law in Chaing Mai? I mean, I live in CM and apart from tanks that disappeared a couple of months ago I don't see any evidence of anything.

Martial law lift likely for 40 provinces, not Bangkok

The Council for National Security (CNS) yesterday resolved to propose the lifting of martial law in more than half of the country's 76 provinces and retain it in strategically significant areas including Bangkok and the surrounding provinces.

CNS chairman General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, who chaired yesterday's meeting of the council, said it will today ask the Cabinet to lift martial law in more than 40 provinces and keep its presence in "unstable" areas.

"CNS leaders have decided that martial law should be lifted in some 40 provinces," Sonthi said. "But the resolution will not apply to the southernmost provinces and those in the North and Northeast, which border neighbouring countries or are at risk of facing turbulence."

However, the decision to lift martial law in Bangkok would lie with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, he said, adding the final decision would rest with the Cabinet.

"If something happens in Bangkok, the prime minister will be responsible for handling it. So I will leave him to decide whether Bangkok should remain under the law," Sonthi said.

Although the Cabinet is expected to consider the proposal at its weekly meeting today, Surayud refused to comment on the issue.

Earlier, Defence Minister General Boonrawd Somtas said martial law would remain in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Buri Ram and Surin - where pro-Thaksin groups are still active.

Sonthi said he wanted to keep martial law in the southern provinces where suspected militants had intensified their attacks on civilians.

A military source said yesterday the CNS would propose that martial law be lifted in 48 provinces. It would ask the government to retain martial law in 28 provinces, most of them in border areas, including Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Buri Ram, Surin, Kanchanaburi, Phitsanulok, Song-khla, Narathiwat and Pattani.

"They also agreed that due to their strategic significance, martial law should be retained in Bangkok and the adjacent provinces like Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan," said the source.

Source: The Nation - 28 November 2006

Thai cabinet meets on lifting martial law across half country

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand's cabinet is meeting to consider lifting martial law across half the country, one day after the junta proposed the first easing of military rule since their coup in September.

General Sonthi Boonyaratglin announced Monday that the junta had asked the government to lift martial law in half of Thailand, but to maintain it in Bangkok, the far south, the north and northeast.

Until now, the junta has resisted international pressure, as well as pro-democracy activists at home, to end the regime for fear of anti-coup "undercurrents".

Although the coup was generally welcomed in Bangkok, the military has repeatedly voiced concern about possible anti-coup movements in Thailand's rural northern heartland, which remains a bastion of support for ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The military fears that Thaksin, who was twice elected to office, could try to return to Thailand and that his supporters would then rally to oppose the coup.

Thaksin was in New York when the coup happened, and then spent a month in London, where he has a home. For the last month, he has moved around Asia, inviting speculation about his political future.

Sonthi said Monday that he would allow Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to make the final decision about whether to lift martial law in Bangkok.

But he also warned: "If we lift martial law and something happens, the prime minister will be held primarily responsible."

Any decision taken by the cabinet Tuesday would still require the endorsement of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Political analyst Ukrist Pathmanand of Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University said he believed the junta was still reluctant to rule without martial law and was only relenting to ease pressure from the European Union and the United States.

"The government and the junta are facing intense diplomatic pressure, and their early effort to explain the coup to the international community did not work. So the pressure has forced them to relax the measures, but maintain it in some areas," he said.

The key questions left by Sonthi's announcement are whether Bangkok would remain under military rule, and when any relaxing of the regime would take effect.

Analysts and diplomats have suggested that martial law could be eased to improve Thailand's image abroad before the king's 79th birthday on December 5, which will be a time of national celebration when Thais are extremely sensitive to any criticism of the country.

Source: AFP - 28 November 2006

Martial law has been less noticeable than some of Mr. Thaksins more famous crackdowns on things.

It is very noticable though if you look at the almost complete lack of media reporting on many incidents here.

Like what ? First hand knowledge? Are you sources reliable ?

Martial law has been less noticeable than some of Mr. Thaksins more famous crackdowns on things.

It is very noticable though if you look at the almost complete lack of media reporting on many incidents here.

Hi again.

The media, as has been discussed by others elsewhere on this forum, didn't report on much under the Thaksin government through fear of job loss or massive loss of advertising revenue or even attempted hostile takeovers by business backers of the TRT, and then of course if they did report they had to be careful of hired drunken mobs. My point is that to most martial law is hardly noticeable and various crackdowns by the previous government are far more memorable. To retain or not retain martial law is more to do with international image as highlighted in a recent Thai Rath editorial that called for the end of martial law. Actually thinking about this editorial that goes against the current governments thinking, maybe we even have more freedom of the media now than under Mr. Thaksin.

-Like, weekly anti coup demonstrations since day one, many marches to Democracy Monument, army headquarters etc.

-Like, which groups and people who tried to attend these demonstrations were forcibly turned back and hindered from attending these demonstrations.

-Like, an analyses of the different anti coup organisations, where they stand, what their political aims are.

-Like, what did really happen during the 10 day funeral of the taxi driver who committed suicide. Which high level politicians and activists attended the funeral.

-Like, a list of incidents of infringements against freedom of the media.

First hand knowledge, and very reliable sources.

But given the martial law, you will find very little independent reporting on this incidents.

What steps are they bringing about to end martial law in Chaing Mai? I mean, I live in CM and apart from tanks that disappeared a couple of months ago I don't see any evidence of anything.
I also live in Chiang Mai and wonder what is meant by martial law. Everything seems normal here. Business, schools, night clubs, tourist attractions, and everything else are all open as normal.

It's good to hear from people actually living in the sensitive and affected areas and how little everyone seems to notice martial law.

Seeing is believing is always a good indicator and usually the clearest when it comes to the truth.

-Like, weekly anti coup demonstrations since day one, many marches to Democracy Monument, army headquarters etc.

:o Read about it in the Nation, including reports on increasing numbers of those marching.

-Like, which groups and people who tried to attend these demonstrations were forcibly turned back and hindered from attending these demonstrations.

:DIt's of course against the law as it is now. So what is really bad here - allowing people to march or preventing them from doing so?

-Like, an analyses of the different anti coup organisations, where they stand, what their political aims are.

:D There's an interview in The Nation today with Khamta of "Caravan of the Poor" who camped in Bangkok for months earlier this year.

"Khamta said the CNS and the government were too paranoid about possible subversive acts as only a minority of people was involved - and their actions would not hurt the government."

-Like, what did really happen during the 10 day funeral of the taxi driver who committed suicide. Which high level politicians and activists attended the funeral.

:DEven Surayud himself attended the funeral. Does it make him a subversive element?

:DLike the banned interview on ITV? That was a month ago and has been discussed already. Nothing new to add, I guess.

:DBut no substance, as usual.

Amazing... Some posters really must have the rosy red sunglasses on. One doesn't have to look further than the pinned post on top of this forum to see a consequence of the martial law:

"Ict Imposes Temporary Ban On Political Postings On Forums, Sms"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84529

As far as I know, this dictate by the generals is still in effect, right? There's more to martial law than curfew and soldiers in the streets.

Partial lifting? That is impossible. There will be action by the government ANYWHERE there is resistance. To call it "lifted" in provinces where there is no resistance is ludicrous. Only when the military is completely removed from government, without an "advisory" role, with all aspects run by elected officials, will there be no restrictions.

But given the martial law, you will find very little independent reporting on this incidents.

Okay, we know a lot of Chiang Mai residents post here and I don't think one person has posted anything. I work with 30 foreigners and known of them have seen anything. I don't see any first-hand evidence. Not a shred of it!

Oh, wait - extra soldiers at Wing 41 :o

Amazing... Some posters really must have the rosy red sunglasses on. One doesn't have to look further than the pinned post on top of this forum to see a consequence of the martial law:

"Ict Imposes Temporary Ban On Political Postings On Forums, Sms"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84529

As far as I know, this dictate by the generals is still in effect, right? There's more to martial law than curfew and soldiers in the streets.

We were talking about hard-evidence of martial-law. I doubt that his supposed army of "loyal" supporters in the North and North-East have internet access.

Okay, we know a lot of Chiang Mai residents post here and I don't think one person has posted anything. I work with 30 foreigners and known of them have seen anything. I don't see any first-hand evidence. Not a shred of it!

I did not talk about CM - i talked about Bangkok.

Colonel, if you read the Thai newspapers which is what Thai people do, than you would know the taxi driver's suicide and funeral was extensively reported.

As are the anti coup demonstrations at Sanam Luang.

I strongly suggest you ask your wife to buy The Matichon, The Manager, Thai Rath or The Daily News and to read out or translate the articles referring to the above mentioned incidents.

They are all extensively reported on.

:D Read about it in the Nation, including reports on increasing numbers of those marching.

you lately started reading about this in the Nation about one demonstration, not though about the many others.

:DIt's of course against the law as it is now. So what is really bad here - allowing people to march or preventing them from doing so?

What's your point? When people demonstrated againts Thaksin and everybody was allowed to join, Thaksin was evil. Now, when a military junta throws the constitution away and makes demonstrating illegal, turns groups away, than this is fine. What would you have said if Thaksin would have declared martial law? you would have raved and ranted.

Selective hypocracy, my friend.

:D There's an interview in The Nation today with Khamta of "Caravan of the Poor" who camped in Bangkok for months earlier this year.

"Khamta said the CNS and the government were too paranoid about possible subversive acts as only a minority of people was involved - and their actions would not hurt the government."

That has nothing to do with an analyses, and only shows that you have no idea about the complexities of present anti coup networks. Thanks, you have shown my point about lack of freedom of the media.

:DEven Surayud himself attended the funeral. Does it make him a subversive element?

No he didn't. What he did was calling in the wife of the deceased Taxi driver. The CNS sent somebody else. And many others were there as well. Thanks for proving my point again, regarding lack of information.

:DLike the banned interview on ITV? That was a month ago and has been discussed already. Nothing new to add, I guess.

Discussed already means that it doesn't count? Strange logic.

:DBut no substance, as usual.

:o

Colonel, if you read the Thai newspapers which is what Thai people do, than you would know the taxi driver's suicide and funeral was extensively reported.

I strongly suggest you ask your wife to buy The Matichon, The Manager, Thai Rath or The Daily News and to read out or translate the articles referring to the above mentioned incidents.

The funeral was only very selectively reported about.

The demonstrations only recently started to be reported about in the Thai language media, and very little, if not nothing in the English language media.

The funeral was only very selectively reported about.

The demonstrations only recently started to be reported about in the Thai language media, and very little, if not nothing in the English language media.

nonsense

And what do those things have to do with Chiang Mai? My point was that there was little or no evidence of even being under martial law in Chiang Mai - so why isn't it being lifted?

EDIT: Happenings in Bangkok are irrelevant as the army is not deciding when martial law will be lifted there.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid