Martial Law Lifted In 41 Provinces

george

List of 35 provinces to remain under martial law

The government Tuesday agrees to lift martial law in 41 provinces including Bangkok. The law will remain in 35 provinces due to domestic and forreign security concerns. The followings are list of 35 provinces;

1. Kanchanaburi - Only Tambon Ban Kao in Muang district, Dan Makham Tia, Thong Phaphoom, Sai Yoke, Sri Sawasdi and Sangkhla Buri districts.

2. Kamphaengphet

3. Khonkaen

4. Chanthaburi - Only Khlung, Pong Namron and Soi Dao districts.

5. Chiang Rai

6. Chiang Mai

7. Chaiyaphum

8. Trat - Only Muang, Klong Yai and Bor Rai districts, Koh Kood Sub-District and Koh Chang Sub-district

9. Tak - Only Wang Chao Sub-District, Muang, Ta Songyang, Phop Phra, Mae Ramad, Mae Sod and Umphang districts.

10. Narathiwat

11. Nakhon Ratchasima

12. Nan only Chalermprakiet, Tung Chang, Boe Klue, Mae Rim, Song Kwae and Pua districts

13. Buri Ram

14. Prachub Khiri Khan : only Tambon Ao Noi, Khoe Lak, Klong Wan and Huay Sai, Muang district, Tambon Khao Larn, Na Hu Kwang, Huay Yang and Ang Thong; Tap Sakae district, Tambon Sam Kratai and Tambon Hat Kam; Kuiburi district Tambon Kao Chao; Pranburi district, Tambon Chai Kasem, Tambon Tong Mongkhon and Tambon Ronthong; Bang Sapan district; Tambon Changrak and Tambon Chaiyarat; Bangsaphan Noi district, Tambon Hueysatyai, Hua Hin district, Tambon Raikao, Tambon Salalai and Tambon Silaloi, Samroi Yod district

15. Pattani

16. Payao; only at Chaingkham district and Puchang sub district, Chiang Kham district

17. Phitsanulok; only Chatrakarn and Nakhon Thai districts

18. Phetchaburi; only Kaengkracharn and Nongyaplong districts

19. Mae Hong Son; only Muang, Khun Yuam, Bangpama, Pai, Mae Lanoi, Mae Sarieng and Sobmoei districts

20. Maha Sarakham

21. Yala

22. Ratchaburi; only Baan Ka and Suen Phueng districts

23. Roi Et

24. Ranong; only Tambon Paknam, Sai Daeng and Rachakrud; Muang, Kapor, Kraburi and Laoon districts

25. Loei

26. Si Sa Ket

27. Satun; only Tambon Petree, Kammalang, Klongkut and Puyu; Muang Satun, Khuandone, Ta Pae and La Ngu districts

28. Songkhla; only Jana, Thepa, Natawee, Sadao and Saba Yoi districts

29. Sa Kaew; only Klong Hat, Tapraya, Wang Namyen, Wattana Nakhon, Aranyaprathet, Kok Sung sub district, Ta Phraya district and Wang Somboon sub district; Wang Namyen district

30. Surin

31. Nongbualamphu

32. Udorn Thani

33. Uttaradit - Only Fak Tha, Ban Khok and Nam Pad districts.

34. Ubon Ratchathani

35. Amnatcharoen

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more on this from aap:

Thai govt to lift martial law in Bangkok

Thailand's post-coup government has decided to lift martial law in the capital and nearby provinces to deflect international criticism after a September 19 putsch, Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas says.

However, it will remain in 35 of 76 provinces, mostly along the borders, for security reasons, Boonrawd told reporters after cabinet approved a recommendation from the generals who toppled Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra two months ago.

"We've decided to lift it in Bangkok and nearby provinces because we care about the international community and tourism," Boonrawd said.

The emergency security laws will not be lifted officially until King Bhumibol Adulyadej gives his assent, a formality that could take a few days.

The Council for National Security (CNS), as the coup leaders call themselves, agreed to the lifting of martial law in 41 provinces, which have been under notional army rule since the bloodless putsch.

The CNS frequently referred to "undercurrents" in the rural north, where Thaksin support was strongest, as justification for its continuation of martial law despite little-to-no evidence pointing to uprisings in favour of his ousted administration.

Boonrawd said martial law would remain in Thaksin's northern hometown of Chiang Mai, which lies close to the infamous Golden Triangle opium producing region where Thailand, Burma and Laos meet.

"Martial law has to be kept in Chiang Mai, not only for security reasons, but also for drug suppression," he said.

I read of Chaiyaphum in a tourist guide the other day, "...of no significant interest..."

I once stayed in a hotel there, the one with the disco in basement, the factor that made it so much more like a prision was the way that all the rooms doors opened outwards. Slop out at 06:00 :o

Mods, This obviously will cause some confusion as to what we can and can’t post. Can you provide some sort of clarification at this point. As I read this, because I am in Bangkok I can post along the rules prior to the coup. I just want to be sure before I accidently cross the line.

LOL - 50% martial law 50% no martial law.. That's not lifting martial law, it's just reducing it. As the martial law is still in effect in the higher population areas it must mean they don't have a minimum 50% support there, probably a whole lot less. In Phayao they have lifted ML in the biggest anti coup stronghold, so much for Military inteligence.... :o:D

Mods, This obviously will cause some confusion as to what we can and can’t post. Can you provide some sort of clarification at this point. As I read this, because I am in Bangkok I can post along the rules prior to the coup. I just want to be sure before I accidently cross the line.

Martial law hasn't been lifted anywhere yet:

Yesterday's resolution will come into force once the move gets approval from the King, which is expected within days.

Love the map! Graphics ... something that I understand ...

According to my wife, the big red blob up in the north east corner of your map (which remains under martial law) is full of Thaksin supporters ....

Virgil, Out!

Seeing as I have nothing better to do I decided to make a Martial Law map.

I haven't bothered to check, but I assume that the majority of the areas where Martial Law will be retained in the yellow Provinces are border areas.

Love the map! Graphics ... something that I understand ...

According to my wife, the big red blob up in the north east corner of your map (which remains under martial law) is full of Thaksin supporters ....

Virgil, Out!

Lol, Big red blob...AKA Isaan.

Edited by konangrit

List of 35 provinces to remain under martial law

The government Tuesday agrees to lift martial law in 41 provinces including Bangkok. The law will remain in 35 provinces due to domestic and forreign security concerns. The followings are list of 35 provinces;

1. Kanchanaburi - Only Tambon Ban Kao in Muang district, Dan Makham Tia, Thong Phaphoom, Sai Yoke, Sri Sawasdi and Sangkhla Buri districts.

2. Kamphaengphet

3. Khonkaen

4. Chanthaburi - Only Khlung, Pong Namron and Soi Dao districts.

5. Chiang Rai

6. Chiang Mai

7. Chaiyaphum

8. Trat - Only Muang, Klong Yai and Bor Rai districts, Koh Kood Sub-District and Koh Chang Sub-district

9. Tak - Only Wang Chao Sub-District, Muang, Ta Songyang, Phop Phra, Mae Ramad, Mae Sod and Umphang districts.

10. Narathiwat

11. Nakhon Ratchasima

12. Nan only Chalermprakiet, Tung Chang, Boe Klue, Mae Rim, Song Kwae and Pua districts

13. Buri Ram

14. Prachub Khiri Khan : only Tambon Ao Noi, Khoe Lak, Klong Wan and Huay Sai, Muang district, Tambon Khao Larn, Na Hu Kwang, Huay Yang and Ang Thong; Tap Sakae district, Tambon Sam Kratai and Tambon Hat Kam; Kuiburi district Tambon Kao Chao; Pranburi district, Tambon Chai Kasem, Tambon Tong Mongkhon and Tambon Ronthong; Bang Sapan district; Tambon Changrak and Tambon Chaiyarat; Bangsaphan Noi district, Tambon Hueysatyai, Hua Hin district, Tambon Raikao, Tambon Salalai and Tambon Silaloi, Samroi Yod district

15. Pattani

16. Payao; only at Chaingkham district and Puchang sub district, Chiang Kham district

17. Phitsanulok; only Chatrakarn and Nakhon Thai districts

18. Phetchaburi; only Kaengkracharn and Nongyaplong districts

19. Mae Hong Son; only Muang, Khun Yuam, Bangpama, Pai, Mae Lanoi, Mae Sarieng and Sobmoei districts

20. Maha Sarakham

21. Yala

22. Ratchaburi; only Baan Ka and Suen Phueng districts

23. Roi Et

24. Ranong; only Tambon Paknam, Sai Daeng and Rachakrud; Muang, Kapor, Kraburi and Laoon districts

25. Loei

26. Si Sa Ket

27. Satun; only Tambon Petree, Kammalang, Klongkut and Puyu; Muang Satun, Khuandone, Ta Pae and La Ngu districts

28. Songkhla; only Jana, Thepa, Natawee, Sadao and Saba Yoi districts

29. Sa Kaew; only Klong Hat, Tapraya, Wang Namyen, Wattana Nakhon, Aranyaprathet, Kok Sung sub district, Ta Phraya district and Wang Somboon sub district; Wang Namyen district

30. Surin

31. Nongbualamphu

32. Udorn Thani

33. Uttaradit - Only Fak Tha, Ban Khok and Nam Pad districts.

34. Ubon Ratchathani

35. Amnatcharoen

Another 'Claytons' act from the Generals -- lifting 50% - token show -

I haven't seen the map on today's list, but yesterday's list showed that, except for BKK city, ALL the provinces which retained martial law were those that bordered Burma and Cambodia and Malaysia. ....without exception. In other words: all those which were not on the border - had the M.law lifted, and all which bordered kept their restrictions. For some reason, Laos was excepted.

Puts an interesting perspective on official Thai attitudes toward their neighbors - and lack of trust thereof.

I would hardly say Songkla, Pattani and Narathiwa provinces are Thaksin supporters. :o But the rest probably were.

I would say every farmer that got 400 bath to vote for Thaskin was a supporter. If they will get 500 bath to vote for the Democratics they sure will be Democratic supporters.

TIT

I wonder why Pattaya, Chonburi, is still under martial law??

Martial Law is being lifted in Chonburi, along with most other major tourist provinces, i.e. Phuket, Surat Thani, Bangkok etc. Tourism was one of the reasons the government gave for lifting Martial Law in certain provinces.

Martial Law is being lifted in Chonburi, along with most other major tourist provinces, i.e. Phuket, Surat Thani, Bangkok etc. Tourism was one of the reasons the government gave for lifting Martial Law in certain provinces.

So why is Hua Hin still on the List?? :o

We are already packed out with Tourists much earlier than in prevoious years. I hope the BBC report "Hua Hin remains under martial law!" and then we might be able to park more easily during this High season. Actually, in reality I doubt whether any of the visitors even realise they are under martial law. It hasn't been any different here since the coup. I can only imagine they keep martial law here because the King stays in his "Far from Worries" Palace now most of the time. :D

Seeing as I have nothing better to do I decided to make a Martial Law map.

I haven't bothered to check, but I assume that the majority of the areas where Martial Law will be retained in the yellow Provinces are border areas.

Thanks for the map - Very useful.

So why is Hua Hin still on the List?? :o

We are already packed out with Tourists much earlier than in prevoious years. I hope the BBC report "Hua Hin remains under martial law!" and then we might be able to park more easily during this High season. Actually, in reality I doubt whether any of the visitors even realise they are under martial law. It hasn't been any different here since the coup. I can only imagine they keep martial law here because the King stays in his "Far from Worries" Palace now most of the time. :D

Probably due to these "undercurrents":

In Prachuap Khiri Khan yesterday, a group which called itself Hua Hin Rak Hua Hin tried to stop Chamlong Srimuang and Sondhi from holding an anti-Thaksin rally in Hua Hin, although both have signalled that they would not travel there.

The group also blocked a Khon Rak Pho Luang (Caravan of People Who Love the King) group from entering Hua Hin, which led to an abusive exchange.

Kamolphand Chiewphandsri, who led the caravan, said the group had come to Hua Hin in peace and planned to light candles and offer blessings to His Majesty the King before returning to Bangkok the following day without holding a rally.

The Nation April 2006

The title of this thread is incorrect, Martial Law will be lifted in 41 Provinces, and will remain in 35.

/Mod Edit - thread title corrected.

Edited by Jai Dee

Singapore welcomes Thai govt's decision to lift martial law

Singapore welcomed the Thai government's decision to partially lift martial law, according to a statement by Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday.

"It is a positive step toward the restoration of constitutional rule in Thailand," said the statement, adding "As an old friend, Singapore wishes Thailand well."

The Thai government has decided to lift martial law, imposed shortly after the Sept. 19 coup, in 41 of the country's 76 provinces, including the capital Bangkok.

Source: Xinhua - 29 November 2006