Legal Status Of A Baby Born In Thailand

My son is 10 months old, Filipino citizen, born in Thailand. My question about his legal status: His mother is here on a tourist visa and up to now she took our son with her for a visa run. Is this necessary?? According to the Philippine embassy there is no need to do a visa run with him, because he can stay in Thailand as long as his mother's stay is legally and he can only leave the country together with his mother.

Who can give further information?

Thanks

From memory chilfren can stay without any undue problems for 7 years. After that they n eed to get some paperwork in place to make them legal.

I take it that your son is shown on his mother's passport? This will ensure that he can not leave the country without her.

A lot of countries now insist that children have their own passport which lets them trave without the parent being present. They do however need paperwork saying that both parents approve of the travel.

Manfromoz

Thanks. My son got his own passport and up to now his mother took him always for a visa run and he got his stamps in his passport.

I only hope that there will be no fee for overstaying if the next visa run will be done without him.

I am the person to ask! :o

I have two dual Filipino/American citizen sons. The children do not need to do a visa run! :D At least not until 7 years old when a fine will kick in. If ever he is over his permitted stay, they will stamp a little stamp in his passport that a fine was waived because he is under 7(though the last time it said 13 years old, go figure???)

So no need for a visa run. :D When I do my runs, I decide if my sons feel like going bye bye or not, if they do, then off we go. Having two restless kids seems to make things go a little faster and friedlier at the border post.

Whitey,

Thanks! What I'd like to know. Is it it somewhere stated that kids under the age of 7 or 13? have the right to stay here or is it more an act of grace not to be fined?

It is 7 years. Check at the border next trip. It is not unusual to get two different pieces of factual advice that disagree with each other

I just brought my daughter (age 11) out through Don Muang in April. Traveling on her US passport on which she was in an overstay position due to her schooling.

Large sign at the overstay desk says children under the age of 17 are not subject to fines if they are traveling with their parents.

I paid no fine for her.

It's in the law, it isn't an act of grace you have to ask for. Turst that your child is ok until 7, after that it is up to anyone's guess. This is Thailand and I doubt they would collect a fine on a 13 year old leaving the country with a parent who has an up to date visa.

Good luck!