claiming early retirement UK state pension

Carlosm

I moved my personnel pension off shore some time ago and will be able to claim it when i soon reach 55 years old. My pension provider said i should be able to also claim a reduced state pension though after sifting through the UKGOV website for days cannot find an answer.

So, does anyone know if i can claim a reduced early UK state retirement pension and if so how ?

Yes, that flat rate pension, as most know, only applies to those who were never contracted out AND have paid the required number of years of NI.

I have just retired at age 57.5 with 38 years of contracted out NI and my forecast for the state pension at age 66 is just over £120 a week.

Luckily for me, I am in a final salary pension scheme which has a variable pension option whereby they pay you your estimated state pension as soon as you take the company pension (now, for me) and when the state pension becomes payable, the company pension drops by roughly that amount, giving a predictable income in retirement.

There is no facility to claim a UK state pension early. I believe without checking the OP would need to wait until he is at least 66, maybe even 67 before he is legible to start receiving it.

The way things are moving in the UK, those of us expats and those on a private pension are liable to be hearing very soon, that we will very likely be getting nothing in the way of a state pension. The last Tory government started to look at it regarding expats but I believe the EU stepped in to stop it. I'm only surprised that this shocking lot haven't yet attempted to get it looked at again. That could change after Brexit.

I moved my personnel pension off shore some time ago and will be able to claim it when i soon reach 55 years old. My pension provider said i should be able to also claim a reduced state pension though after sifting through the UKGOV website for days cannot find an answer.

So, does anyone know if i can claim a reduced early UK state retirement pension and if so how ?

'

Apologies but it is not clear what your provider is saying.Are they suggesting that you can claim the state pension at the age 55 but reduced to account for early payment, or you can claim a state pension at age 66 reduced because of contracting/opting out for a period of time

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

'

Apologies but it is not clear what your provider is saying.Are they suggesting that you can claim the state pension at the age 55 but reduced to account for early payment, or you can claim a state pension at age 66 reduced because of contracting/opting out for a period of time

My personnel provider said that as of April this year the early retirement state pension rules changed. He wasn't sure but said that he thinks i might be able to get my state pension at a reduced rate when i turn 55. I've since e-mail the pensions section of the UKgov website and am waiting their reply.

On 10/4/2016 at 3:54 PM, The Fat Controller said:

Yes, that flat rate pension, as most know, only applies to those who were never contracted out AND have paid the required number of years of NI.

I have just retired at age 57.5 with 38 years of contracted out NI and my forecast for the state pension at age 66 is just over £120 a week.

Luckily for me, I am in a final salary pension scheme which has a variable pension option whereby they pay you your estimated state pension as soon as you take the company pension (now, for me) and when the state pension becomes payable, the company pension drops by roughly that amount, giving a predictable income in retirement.

Yes  it is a very good pension:smile:

Archived