Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

Because he is retired and not giving a professional opinion. He has a vested interest in his personal investments. In other words, his views are not unbiased. I assume you are not a fat cat? 

Actually, he's teaching economics in New York. And you are making completely unfounded speculation about his economic beliefs for the sole reason that he doesn't read from the same script as you. In other words: you're deflecting.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Actually, he's teaching economics in New York. And you are making completely unfounded speculation about his economic beliefs for the sole reason that he doesn't read from the same script as you. In other words: you're deflecting.

OK

12 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

A massive surge to a 2 year high of a whole 1%

Can you give me a nudge when it reaches 15% and my Gold Plated, Indexed linked Pension starts to get interesting.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yey do seem desperate for bad news, don't they?

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

That's not bad news at all, that's excellent news, it means the economy is starting to work and we're half way towards the BOE target for inflation - you really don't understand economics, do you!

Just now, chiang mai said:

That's not bad news at all, that's excellent news, it means the economy is starting to work and we're half way towards the BOE target for inflation - you really don't understand economics, do you!

Oh, dear. Playing games, and the obligatory personal insult from our grown-up member. Nothing to see here. move along.

It's so tiresome to explain every damn thing

The BoE cut and will continue to cut interest rates in attempt to stave off recession (and/or encourage some investment). However, if inflation overshoots and reaches, say 3%, they will have to increase interest rates. It will be interesting to see if that helps Sterling and/or triggers reduced growth. I know, all very boring....

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

It's so tiresome to explain every damn thing

The BoE cut and will continue to cut interest rates in attempt to stave off recession (and/or encourage some investment). However, if inflation overshoots and reaches, say 3%, they will have to increase interest rates. It will be interesting to see if that helps Sterling and/or triggers reduced growth. I know, all very boring....

This is what chiang mai wrote:

"Hmm, inflation picks up, highest in two years, things are starting to get interesting"

Now, I don't know about others, but I wouldn't interpret the above as exactly gleeful. But both you and chiang mai saw my throwaway reply as a golden opportunity to do some really grown up, patronising put-downs. Well done!

28 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

A massive surge to a 2 year high of a whole 1%

Can you give me a nudge when it reaches 15% and my Gold Plated, Indexed linked Pension starts to get interesting.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nudge! Nudge! As opposed to not wanting to be woken up when sterling dives towards 15% and that index-linked pension sinking in real terms with it.

Edited by SheungWan

"Hmm, inflation picks up, highest in two years, things are starting to get interesting"

Now, I don't know about others, but I wouldn't interpret the above as exactly gleeful. But both you and chiang mai saw my throwaway reply as a golden opportunity to do some really grown up, patronising put-downs. Well done!

Sorry, I don't understand your point.

you said something like "yeh do seem desperate for bad news"

CM had said something along the lines of interesting times ahead

I added a few words about what I thought would be interesting

What does your Gleeful remark refer to?

In fact what is the point of your post?

BTW, you are far to bright to join Rock's squad!

Off to the pub....

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You're looking for something that is not there, mine was an honest and straight forward reply and I do firmly believe that at this juncture, an increase in inflation to 1% is a positive point, read it and your paranoia as you will.

6 hours ago, i claudius said:

So if it lasts longer ,i will lose out , but i will still win because it was never about the money it was about being free of the E.U  and we are , so remain away , WE WON .:post-4641-1156694572::post-4641-1156694572::post-4641-1156694572:

what part of "the United Kingdom is presently a member of the EU" is it you don't understand?

23 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Nudge! Nudge! As opposed to not wanting to be woken up when sterling dives towards 15% and that index-linked pension sinking in real terms with it.

You might have a point if I happened to live off a pension :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As I have said to you before, and as you have acknowleged today.

I am one of those people who believes that there is more to life than money.

And if you had been paying attention, rather than thinking furiously about what insults you could throw. You would have seen my conversation with JB300 where I advised him, for selfish reasons, I hope parity is reached £ - $ so that I can ship $$$ back to the UK. I might invest in another couple investment properties.

Personally speaking, I do not care where Sterling goes, it does not affect me, but I do have some sympathy for those that will be affected by it.

Edited by SgtRock

1 hour ago, SgtRock said:

As I have been saying for months, despite the procrastinations of those that have there heads deeply embedded where the sun dont shine and cannot see past the end of there noses.

It is getting worse for DB.

On Friday

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-17/deutsche-bank-pays-38-million-settle-silver-manipulation-lawsuit

The only reason that DB is currently an ongoing concern on the expectation that the DOJ is going to drop its fine from $ 14 Billion to the region of $ 4 - 5 Billion.

IMO this is not going to happen due to the massive amounts of lawsuits that DB have had to settle over the last 2 years.

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/09/deutsche-bank-going-under-real-reason-germans-told-prepare-national-crisis.html

Think Lehmans but only worse ? Understatement of the day. This will kill the euro completely and ultimately lead to the demise of the entire EZ.

Contrary to the wisdom of those who doubt that this will happen, the UK will benefit enormously from this, providing that they can put a big enough buffer zone in place before the EZ collapses.

So the argument is that Deutsche Bank will collapse and the whole of the EU will follow it down the Swanny river ... like Lehman Brothers but a lot worse?

That presumes that Germany and the other European countries will sit back, do nothing, and just watch this event unfold, even though they have the funds at their disposal to deal with the problem. Whatever Merkel says today she will stick to, whatever the cost? Not a chance of that happening if the sh*t hits the fan on Deutsche Bank.

That's what I'd call extreme wishful thinking. Germany could easily bail them out if they had to ... and would do so to avert an economic catastrophe. Whatever Merkel says today, faced with a calamity she will do what is needed. 

7 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

You might have a point if I happened to live off a pension :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As I have said to you before, and as you have acknowleged today.

I am one of those people who believes that there is more to life than money.

And if you had been paying attention, rather than thinking furiously about what insults you could throw. You would have seen my conversation with JB300 where I advised him, for selfish reasons, I hope parity is reached £ - $ so that I can ship $$$ back to the UK. I might invest in another couple investment properties.

Personally speaking, I do not care where Sterling goes, it does not affect me, but I do have some sympathy for those that will be affected by it.

I am sure your sympathies will go a long way and be deeply appreciated.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Er.....why does Mervyn King picking up a free pension make his views on economics invalid? Deflection indeed!

Is that the same Melvyn King who acted like a rabbit caught in the headlights during the 2007 Banking crisis?

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That word can again. Well tell that to the UK people who see EU citizens and others claiming welfare and getting housing, often ahead of them. It is this reason amongst others that really irritates people ,as their fathers and forefathers have paid into a system that others are clearly manipulating and benefiting from.

Same thing happening in the Netherlands with asylum seekers jumping the housing queue which isn't going down well with those who have been on the housing list for ten years being told they might have to wait a few more years because migrants have priority.

3 hours ago, thedivezone said:

Hahha , brilliant, . . . . a brexiteer that voted leave to cause the currency to crash . :clap2:

Not sure about that, but when some Brexiteers tell you that Brexit was 'a price worth paying' and/or the other joke 'there are more important things than money' and then you winkle out of them that actually they hedged out of sterling in advance to protect themselves against the repercussions of what they were advocating, then draw your own conclusions as to the consistency of what they have been posting.

8 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

My concern would be around the potential for political instability ... 

I think that one is on hold for now. One thing I wouldn't be doing right now is converting baht back to sterling other than for living expenses. Parking baht perhaps in dollars, but sterling?

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

I think that one is on hold for now. One thing I wouldn't be doing right now is converting baht back to sterling other than for living expenses. Parking baht perhaps in dollars, but sterling?

Dollars look like a good bet at the moment, particularly if Hillary wins as we are likely to see a December Fed rate hike ... Sterling will continue to weaken but can only go so low before it stabilises ... but for now I wouldn't bet on it.

"Poundland" -  a good assessment of the situation with UK poiund...

""There will be one group of people for whom a plunging pound is very good news indeed. London property has just become massively cheaper if you are a foreign buyer. For holders of dollars and euros and other “citizens of the world”, the sale is now on. Britain is becoming a poundland bargain – so long as you don’t actually earn your living here." - Guardian

Edited by Loeilad

5 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

"Poundland" -  a good assessment of the situation with UK poiund...

""There will be one group of people for whom a plunging pound is very good news indeed. London property has just become massively cheaper if you are a foreign buyer. For holders of dollars and euros and other “citizens of the world”, the sale is now on. Britain is becoming a poundland bargain – so long as you don’t actually earn your living here." - Guardian

Personally I always thought property was overpriced especially in London. I still don't feel that house prices will make houses more available as there just isn't enough. houses so prices are still inflated.

I think where lots of people go wrong is they measure their wealth in the equity in a house which, as happened before can get 'whisked away.'