BMC on flood alert as Northern run-off heads for Bangkok

webfact

BMC on flood alert as Northern run-off heads for Bangkok

BANGKOK, 7  October 2016 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Council (BMC) is closely monitoring the situation in the flood-prone district of Don Mueang as run-off from the upper provinces is on its way to the capital city. 

The BMC’s chairman Pol. Capt. Kriangsak Lohachala has called a meeting with the chiefs and officials of Don Mueang District Office and Department of Drainage and Sewerage to prepare a flood prevention and relief scheme.

The BMC is particularly concerned about Khlong Prem Prachakorn, since the canal is seeing surging water levels and passes through different districts in Bangkok and other provinces. Heavy rains could cause the canal to overflow and flood nearby communities. 

Don Mueang District Office has installed propeller pumps in different flood-prone areas to accelerate drainage from subsidiary canals to Khlong Prem Prachakorn.

The water will then be discharged into Rangsit Canal and on to the Chao Phraya River after that. Don Mueang District Office has proposed a new sewer system to boost drainage. The project is awaiting budget approval from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration. 

The BMC chairman then surveyed the sluice gate at Khlong Prem Prachakorn and asked residents about their problems and needs. He later continued his trip to Pathum Thani to observe the changing level of water at Lak Hok Canal.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-07

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Council (BMC) is closely monitoring the situation in the flood-prone district of Don Mueang as run-off from the upper provinces is on its way to the capital city. 

OMG!! Who would ever have predicted this??? :shock1:

It must have come as a massive shock for the powers that be! No wonder they're so utterly unprepared.

38 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

It must have come as a massive shock for the powers that be! No wonder they're so utterly unprepared.

They just don't give a damn.

I am so confused?

Didn't the head-honcho(s) say, there would be no flood?

Does that mean, they have no clue, what they are talking about?

And the grand water-plan, that upriver and downriver- people should just under-sa-tand?

Does it mean, there was no plan?

I am so shocked?

There are a bunch of people, who are in dire need of the water, though!

They have egg on their faces!

21 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I am so confused?

Didn't the head-honcho(s) say, there would be no flood?

Does that mean, they have no clue, what they are talking about?

And the grand water-plan, that upriver and downriver- people should just under-sa-tand?

Does it mean, there was no plan?

I am so shocked?

There are a bunch of people, who are in dire need of the water, though!

They have egg on their faces!

That's because it's amazing Thailand,.... every day, every year NO floods, NO scandals, NO corruption :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Why do Bangkokians pay tax? Nothing is done with it.

WRONG !  The tax "receivers" use it for their leisure and to keep their mia nois satisfied  

So...  SOMETHING is done with it...  :coffee1:

I bought my town house in Bang Bua Thong in 1998.  All through the years there were floods but nature took it's course and the low lying areas flooded.  But then the "EXPERTS" got involved and tried to control nature by opening this dam and closing this one and look what it caused, a disaster.  I had 1.7 meters in my house.  Dry for 13 years.  Now 5 years later they are doing it all over again!

They should send their experts to New Orleans, a town below see level very similar to Bangkok at the end of the Mississippi River.  There is no attempt to screw with mother nature and control the flow of the river but they have learned how to protect the the area with levies and pumps.  After the 2011 flood there was much talk about levies but nothing has happened.  I guess that it's just the Thai way.

11 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

OMG!! Who would ever have predicted this???

NOBODY! Who wants to be prosecuted for misleading the public?