Nakhon Sawan residents prepare for severe flooding

webfact

Nakhon Sawan residents prepare for severe flooding

BANGKOK, 7 October 2016 (NNT) – Residents of Nakhon Sawan Province, who are at risk of inundation, have moved their valuable assets to higher ground in preparation for severe flooding. 

Merchants in Lat Yao District of central Nakhon Sawan have moved their products up from ground level and low shelves after the overflow from Mae Wong mountain range continued hitting the area. 

After water kept rising, the province’s economic area was soon submerged. The road leading through the center of the town, which runs past the Lat Yao District Office, was under water as deep as 50 centimeters, which has prompted officials to install large water pumps to take the water out as soon as possible. 

Meanwhile, in Phitsanulok’s Bang Rakam District, local officials have held a meeting to plan assistance for flood victims, especially farmers, who are in urgent need of help. 

In Phrae Province, parts of the city’s center have been submerged for the second time since the rainy season started this year after water from Huay Pa Kham overflowed and brought twigs and weeds along with it, which clogged the drainage system. Local authorities and affected residents joined forces in removing all debris to allow water to be discharged from the area more effectively.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-07

quote  " Merchants in Lat Yao District of central Nakhon Sawan have moved their products up from ground level and low shelves after the overflow from Mae Wong mountain range continued hitting the area."

Isn't Mae Wong where they want to build a dam to stop this happening? The same place where so many protestors (who don't actually live anywhere near there) are trying to stop the dam to save the tigers? The tigers probably have more sense and have gone deeper into the jungle.

Edited by billd766
Correcting my spelling mistakes

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

quote  " Merchants in Lat Yao District of central Nakhon Sawan have moved their products up from ground level and low shelves after the overflow from Mae Wong mountain range continued hitting the area."

Isn't Mae Wong where they want to build a dam to stop this happening? The same place where so many protestors (who don't actually live anywhere near there) are trying to stop the dam to save the tigers? The tigers probably have more sense and have gone deeper into the jungle.

yeah, to heck with nature and wild animals... dam baby dam...

See there are tons of great ways to avoid catastrophic floods, ... 

not building in flood plains comes to mind.

:coffee1:

31 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

yeah, to heck with nature and wild animals... dam baby dam...

See there are tons of great ways to avoid catastrophic floods, ... 

not building in flood plains comes to mind.

:coffee1:

So tigers are more important than people? Tigers are certainly smarter than people because when the area they live in starts to flood, tigers move on. Nobody has actually seen the tigers in years and all that shows are images on remote camera devices.

quote "See there are tons of great ways to avoid catastrophic floods......."

Please describe at least 5 different ways to avoid floods.

Talking of not building on flood plains, how is Bangkok nowadays?

Edited by billd766
Adding extra text

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

So tigers are more important than people? Tigers are certainly smarter than people because when the area they live in starts to flood, tigers move on. Nobody has actually seen the tigers in years and all that shows are images on remote camera devices.

quote "See there are tons of great ways to avoid catastrophic floods......."

Please describe at least 5 different ways to avoid floods.

Talking of not building on flood plains, how is Bangkok nowadays?

So tigers are more important than people?

I don't recall saying that ... not even implying it.   However, I will state point blank that nature is not LESS important than people. ... got it? :smile:

Bangkok is a perfect example of how to NOT avoid flooding. 

31 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

So tigers are more important than people?

I don't recall saying that ... not even implying it.   However, I will state point blank that nature is not LESS important than people. ... got it? :smile:

Bangkok is a perfect example of how to NOT avoid flooding. 

You didn't say or imply that at all. I did in the form of a question.

I also asked you to explain five ways to avoid flooding but you may have missed that.

I will also state that IF the dam is built it will take about 30 or so sq/km in a forest of around 950 sq/km. IF the dam is built then the tigers and the food that they prey on will move deeper into the forest jungle. Those tigers seem smarter than people as nobody has seen the tigers except through a remote camera lens.

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

If this was Yingluck's government that want to build the Mae Wong dam, would you have said the same thing? Just curious as many of your like minded posters were more sympathetic to the animals when Plodprasop want to push ahead the 13 B Baht dam project in 2012.

53 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If this was Yingluck's government that want to build the Mae Wong dam, would you have said the same thing? Just curious as many of your like minded posters were more sympathetic to the animals when Plodprasop want to push ahead the 13 B Baht dam project in 2012.

In a way it was Yingluck's plan, but in truth it was and still is a plan from long ago and quite a few governments past. Yes I did say the same thing then, and I was not among the posters who care more about animals than people.

Unlike most of the posters and protestors I actually have part of the Mae Wong national park on the other side of the back fence though it is not the same side as where they want to build the dam. That is about 70km by road or about 40km as the crow flies.

There is supposedly a dam being built on our side to make a small reservoir but that has been on hold for a few years too.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Prayut's note to self: must blame current situation on Yingluck, that will work for 20 years.

47 minutes ago, billd766 said:

In a way it was Yingluck's plan, but in truth it was and still is a plan from long ago and quite a few governments past. Yes I did say the same thing then, and I was not among the posters who care more about animals than people.

Unlike most of the posters and protestors I actually have part of the Mae Wong national park on the other side of the back fence though it is not the same side as where they want to build the dam. That is about 70km by road or about 40km as the crow flies.

There is supposedly a dam being built on our side to make a small reservoir but that has been on hold for a few years too.

http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/a_review_of_thailand_s_proposed_mae_wong_dam.pdf

This independent assessment by ICUN worth a read.

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

http://cmsdata.iucn.org/downloads/a_review_of_thailand_s_proposed_mae_wong_dam.pdf

This independent assessment by ICUN worth a read.

Thank you for providing that link. It was very interesting and has certainly made me think a lot more about the usefulness of that dam.

There was a bit towards the end about 4 check dams between Mae Wong and Lat Yao not being used properly and the klongs etc in Lat Yao being full of rubbish and partly blocked. No body seemed to know who was in charge of the check dams.