German police hunt for Syrian after explosives found in his flat

rooster59

German police hunt for Syrian after explosives found in his flat

606x341_346129.jpg

Police are searching for a Syrian asylum seeker after hundreds of grammes of explosives were found in his apartment in the east German town on Chemnitz.

The man, who was born in Damascus, has been named as 22 year old Jabr Albakr who arrived in Germany last year.

Hundreds of police and commandos are scouring the area around the town in search of him.

Three people have so far been arrested, none of them Albakr: two at Chemnitz train station and a third in the town.

Saxony Police spokesman Tom Bernhardt said that they had received a tip off from a domestic security agency about Albakr.

“We received yesterday from the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution the tip off that an attack with explosives might be under preparation here,” he said.

But so far police have not said who or what Albakr was trying to target.

Police have evacuated the apartment block and the area around it as they prepare to safely dispose of the explosives.

In July two attacks were carried out in Germany and claimed by Islamic state: an axe attack on a train near Wuerzburg and a suicide bombing which wounded 20 people in Ansbach.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-09

As Hillary Clinton admitted in one of the recently leaked e-mails there is no way you can successfully vet the huge number of Syrian refugees to determine whether or not any Jihaddists are among them. We see this confirmed almost on a daily basis. Germany has an enormous problem. If only 1% of last year's refugees turn out to be terrorists you now have about 1,300 from 2015 alone. The police must wake up every morning cursing Frau Merkel.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, Steely Dan said:

As Hillary Clinton admitted in one of the recently leaked e-mails there is no way you can successfully vet the huge number of Syrian refugees to determine whether or not any Jihaddists are among them. We see this confirmed almost on a daily basis. Germany has an enormous problem. If only 1% of last year's refugees turn out to be terrorists you now have about 1,300 from 2015 alone. The police must wake up every morning cursing Frau Merkel.

Are you sure, I thought Germany took in over one million in 2015.

9 hours ago, Steely Dan said:

European countries take freedom of movement to the extreme: the travel across the continent by train, no documents are required. You turn up at a station ( or online) , pay and go. No passport needs to be shown and recently when I offered mine in the booking process , it was declined.

This guy could be anywhere by now.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

European countries take freedom of movement to the extreme: the travel across the continent by train, no documents are required. You turn up at a station ( or online) , pay and go. No passport needs to be shown and recently when I offered mine in the booking process , it was declined.

This guy could be anywhere by now.

Actually, you are required to carry some form of identification such as an ID card for travel between EU countries. If you're stopped by the police for any reason but cannot produce one, you're liable to arrest and held until proof of who you are can be established.

1 hour ago, Xircal said:

Actually, you are required to carry some form of identification such as an ID card for travel between EU countries. If you're stopped by the police for any reason but cannot produce one, you're liable to arrest and held until proof of who you are can be established.

Yes, but that's after the horse has bolted, so to speak. There is no record of your travels if you choose to use an alias. On the example I cited, my name was incorrect because of a mistake by the phone booking agent. They didn't want to correct it when I collected the ticket at the station and nor did they want to see my passport.

In many ways it's great: no one snooping, freedom to more or less go as you please, great for those who are legitimate...but one wonders if there is not too much freedom in these difficult times.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

Yes, but that's after the horse has bolted, so to speak. There is no record of your travels if you choose to use an alias. On the example I cited, my name was incorrect because of a mistake by the phone booking agent. They didn't want to correct it when I collected the ticket at the station and nor did they want to see my passport.

In many ways it's great: no one snooping, freedom to more or less go as you please, great for those who are legitimate...but one wonders if there is not too much freedom in these difficult times.

If you use an alias what are you going to do if you have to produce ID? You could conceivably be fined for travelling without a ticket.

In your particular case I guess the booking agent was just lazy. But even if you had to provide ID a simple spelling mistake in your name wouldn't result in any action being taken against you I would've thought. But ID cards are generally used instead of passports for travelling within EU borders.