Needing advice on Thailand visa for a British family

Hi Guys,

You guys have been extremely helpful. I can thank everyone individually.

@Phuket Man , I originally thought of getting the Multi Entry Tourist Visa (METV), however, you have to book your flights, and show tickets, which would be an issue as I want flexibility. I don't think with the Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) I will need to show pre-booked tickets. Can someone confirm if this is correct? Also, as far as I can see, based on the following link, with SETV, I can get 60 days without pre-booked tickets, and then I may be able to get a 30 days extension while I am there http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/45 

@dereklev , thanks thats very helpful. Can yo let me know if I take a 60 day SETV, I can do this at any office? I assume so.

@Khun Robert, good to see you again, :) I know the whole drama of getting a partner into the UK. It goes in round abouts...

@coppywriter yes I will be going to Philliphines anyway. I hope to be visiting most of the countries around there, including Cambodia. Its just everything that I have been told about Thailand, made me want to spend some proper time there.

@adwbkk I know you are right. Reality is always a bit different.I think once we get going, based on how things, go I can probably see my self staying maybe 3 months in a place at a time, especially if I want to cover many places in a reasonable time. The thing is, I like to plan for most scenarios and eventualities. Plans change, and things happen. I know if I have done a fair bit of research, then I feel more secure.

@BuckBee Your advice is sound. I was thinking along those lines. 

@Piet390 thank you for pointing me about Thailand Elite. How much does it cost on average? I will contact them. I may want to do this in the future, if I want to make my "second home" in Thailand. London will always be my home. It is one of the best cities in the wold imo, we just don't have the weather, and its expensive.

I know I am repeating some questions, so apologise in advance, as I am on information overload right now. To sum it up, I think I have to decide if I just want to just visit Thailand for a bit now, and just keep travelling. And maybe at some point in the future look at making it more of a base if like it, and its an "if". Hopefully I will. However, I may go to another country first, I haven't decided. As I wanted to stay somewhere about 6 months (on my first trip) and get my body back in shape (from a health perspective), and also work on some of my business projects. You guys have helped a lot.

14 hours ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Thanks elviajero. Can you answer one more question for me please. Am I right in assuming UK (and some other countries like USA, Canada etc) citizens can enter Thailand and do NOT need a visa and can stay up to 30 day. I have pasted the quote below, where I found the information. And if so, I assume the border runs means crossing the border into another country for a day, and then getting another 30 days stay if you are a UK national and entered initially for 30 days. I can't see myself doing the border runs. But I am trying to understand it just in case. Is there a cost to enter through the border?

The Visa Exempt Scheme is good for the occasional entry, but it's no good as a medium/long term way to stay. At land borders you need to buy a visa or border pass for the other country, but it's free to re-enter Thailand. It would be an impractical and expensive option for you and your family.

@elviajero thanks.

@anotheruser and @ RonUK  I saw that before, I am going to have a proper read and contact them. However, I did want to get some "independent" opinion on them in terms of if its legal and how on earth they do it? Not knowing would make me uncomfortable as its not cheap. But thank you.

@ubonjoe I have heard private schools are expensive. And I think we would prefer to home school as we don't know about our plans, as we may be country hopping a bit.

@RonUK, thanks, do you know anyone who has used them? I would love to hear from a few people who have used them and know how they do it or have theories on how they think it works :)

• Like 1

Just to add. I have to say, I am very disappointed with the whole visa situation. I blame myself for not looking into it earlier. But I am sure there are many people like me who would be spending their money in Thailand, which I would have assumed would only be good for the Thai economy. So I would be taking money from UK to spend in Thailand - I am no economist, but I can only see that as positive for the Thai government and economy. There must be tons of people who are in similar boats to mine, not poor, not rich at the same time, who get caught by this. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth of thought.

I understand the frustration, but I doubt there are many like you and, with respect, your collective contribution to the economy would be negligible. There are, however, many that would stay here if they could, which is why Thailand limit the options available for living here, and keep us all on a short leash in order to control expat/migrant numbers.

3 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

@elviajero thanks.

@anotheruser and @ RonUK  I saw that before, I am going to have a proper read and contact them. However, I did want to get some "independent" opinion on them in terms of if its legal and how on earth they do it? Not knowing would make me uncomfortable as its not cheap. But thank you.

@ubonjoe I have heard private schools are expensive. And I think we would prefer to home school as we don't know about our plans, as we may be country hopping a bit.

@RonUK, thanks, do you know anyone who has used them? I would love to hear from a few people who have used them and know how they do it or have theories on how they think it works :)

Hi. Myself and a good few others that post here use the TE program. It's a fully government endorsed programme that has been operating for more than 13 years. I like the fact the it's hassle free and your left alone to enjoy Thailand at your leisure. It's a perfectly legal and legitimate way to stay in Thailand. Just be aware though, it isn't a WP and you cannot use the PE visa to work in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I understand the frustration, but I doubt there are many like you and, with respect, your collective contribution to the economy would be negligible. There are, however, many that would stay here if they could, which is why Thailand limit the options available for living here, and keep us all on a short leash in order to control expat/migrant numbers.

Thanks. You are most likely right. But small acorns add up :), if it has a positive economic impact, and slowly add the numbers over time, it can probably amount to a fair amount. I am fairly confident, there are tons of people who go elsewhere because of the red tape, who would have otherwise spent their hard earned money in Thailand. Its not my think to get into politics and why people or governments do what they do. Its just me letting my frustrations out. 

8 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

The cost depends upon the type of school you enroll them in. A real international school would be expensive. You could pick a not so good school and still do the home schooling.

I have worked something out. Sorry to anyone who is tired of me already :rolleyes:, and I am hoping one of you lovely people can confirm if I can do this, at least a few times. I was going to travel to Malaysia anyway. And they don't need visa for UK nationals for 3 months. So I could go to Thailand, stay 30 days or less, then take a flight to Malaysia and stay a month or up to 3 months, and then take a flight back to Thailand for another month. The flights are about £56 GBP for each adult (which is within reason for me), and I may even be able to do a border crossing and stay in Malaysia for a month or 3 months, as I had plans for Malaysia anyway. I can go back forth like that a few times. Can someone please confirm if this should be doable? You would make my day. I need some good news day, a little hope. :)

Yes it would be doable. I would say it would be better to base yourself in Maylasia and visit Thailand rather than the other way around. You will probably be allowed more 30 day Visa Exempt Entries by air than land, but eventually they will likely start pushing you to get a visa and possibly deny entry.

Note that you can extend a Visa Exempt Entry by 30 days at immigration for 1,900 baht, and that some airlines will only let you fly without a visa if you have an onward flight dated within 30 days.

1 hour ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Hi Piet,

What can Thailand Elite do? I did go to their website, but unless they can get around the law, then I don't understand?

• If you mean the working law, they can't.
  • The cheapest you could get membership for you and your family would be 1,100,000 baht (approx £25K).

14 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Thanks. You are most likely right. But small acorns add up :), if it has a positive economic impact, and slowly add the numbers over time, it can probably amount to a fair amount. I am fairly confident, there are tons of people who go elsewhere because of the red tape, who would have otherwise spent their hard earned money in Thailand. Its not my think to get into politics and why people or governments do what they do. Its just me letting my frustrations out. 

I agree there is a positive financial impact, but with the negative of more foreigners living here. Look at the mess the UK is in! It is right that a country controls it's expat/migrant numbers, but unfortunately certain groups lose out. I have many long term options now, but I spent my first 14 years playing the visa game (legally).

Most tourists are easily catered for and visitor numbers go up year after year. You are an exception to the norm, and there really isn't a good fit for you and your family as medium/long term visitors.

Based on limited info, if I were you, I would go for the METV or several SETV's and use the 60/90 day border runs as an opportunity to visit Maylasia etc.

On 09/10/2016 at 4:37 PM, Fithman said:

Be aware !  It is unlikely that your non Thai speaking daughter would be admitted to a Government school. 

I suggest you check the fees of a few private schools before making any decision. The link will provide insight.

https://www.isb.ac.th/admissions/general-information/fees

A google search will throw up other schools.

What self-respecting Westerner would send their kids to a Thai government school?

@@elviajero , yes you are right, I am finding that in most things in life, if you belong to a big group, then demand is there and people are catering to your needs, laws of demand and supply. However, as my situation is a bit different, I'll have to learn and adapt.

Regarding internet, what do country hoppers do, the so called digital nomads? If you are staying a month here, and couple of weeks in another country etc, do they get PAYG 3G/4G sim in every country they go to or are there a few companies that cater for a world package. About 6 months pack I was looking at this, and landed on this companies website, Global Gig, https://uk.globalgig.com/index.html , I don't know if you guys have heard of them. Quite expensive, but it would be a good backup option. However, I haven't been able to find many companies like them to see if better deals are out there? Anyone have any idea, or know of any other companies who do similar things?

On 10/10/2016 at 0:50 PM, elviajero said:
  • If you mean the working law, they can't.
  • The cheapest you could get membership for you and your family would be 1,100,000 baht (approx £25K).

Since OP wants to stay only 9 months maximum, = EXPENSIVE !

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, RyanLondonUK said:

Not sure if I asked this, if you know, do foreigners who buy buy condos/flats/houses get any rights to stay longer or does it make no difference. I am just curious.

Unless 10 million Baht is invested in buying a new condo which enables a one year "investment" extension there is no advantage.

@swissie , I don't want to stay 9 months maximum, although thats what I probably said. I had less knowledge compared to a few days ago. I have no maximum limit, but I known if I had it my way, I would probably like to come for 6 months to a year. I now realise I have to be very flexible. I may come for a month or two and see how it goes and take it from there. Yes I am "mesmerised", I also have the added complexity of having a family with me. 

@Fithman 10,000,000 for one year access to the country is not worth it, and I can't afford it. I am not rich. However, if it gave me a lifetime access for me and my family, or even 6 months at a time visa allowance without having to check in, then I would seriously consider buying a house/flat if I liked the country.

The bottom line is I am looking for somewhere where we can live peacefully by ourselves, where the cost of living is low, where we can keep to ourselves most of time and just enjoy ourselves. Life is very expensive in London. The short of it is I am also very tired. Now, if I am honest, I am probably better off than the average person, I have a few properties, a tiny business with employee etc. If I find it all too much somedays, I wonder how many people who are on average salaries feel with a few kids to feed. No wonder we have so many food banks etc now.

I am not looking to go out to any country to break laws. On top I have a family with me. The last thing I want is legal hassle. However, I am looking for somewhere to call "home" at some point. London, England will always be home etc. But you know what I mean. It may or may not be Thailand. Given everything I have heard about Thailand from every single person who has been there, it has every single time been positive. Having the Brit population there already makes me feel a bit more secure and comfortable. A few Brits have already reached out to me offered their assistance, and they seem genuine people. I am not in my early 20's looking to get hookers and get drunk every night. We are too boring I am afraid. I love adventure stuff, and want to introduce my daughter to that. I pay my taxes, vote. pay my mortgage every month on time in the UK, so I do not go out to deceive or break the law. 

If you are living there, and you are a "foreigner" or a Brit, then you must be doing it somehow, either doing border runs yourself, or you may have married a Thai person. Either way, you found you probably liked the country and found a way to stay. All I ask is you part with some of this knowledge if you feel you can. I already know its going to be difficult, and I will have challenges. Trust me, when you have 9 year old with you, and she is your world, you really don't want to be blame yourself for something going wrong. 2 days ago I was even questioning doing this. But I know if I continue living the way I live in the UK right now, I will become something I don't want to be. Life is way too short...

Most people who stay here long term do so on the basis of marriage(to a Thai person), retirement or work. Remaining in country is dependent on meeting the requirements of an "extension of stay" each year.

Then there are those who dice with the law and attempt to live in the country by using multiple back to back tourist visas/visa exempt entries which is not easy and is becoming more difficult.

Ryan

You will be well aware of the Immigration situation in the UK especially after the Brexit Vote and the proposals to tighten it up and to favour UK nationals as opposed to foreign workers. Well Thailand's Immigration and employment controls are far stricter. 

There is supposed to be freedom of movement coming under the ASEAN agreement but that is with other S E Asia countries. I don't recall from your other posts whether you have based your desire to improve your family's quality of life, particularly your daughter, from previously visiting Thailand or just from all the positive things you have been told. If you have not visited why not enjoy a long holiday with the correct Tourist Visas, either a Single Entry for 60 days extendable to 90 days at a local Immigration Office for 1900 baht or a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) as previously described (as many entries in and out and back in for up to 60 days each (again extendable by 30 days) within 6 months of first entry? Then you can get a real feel for the country and which parts, if any, you want to commit your longer term future to. 

2 minutes ago, Arandora said:

There is supposed to be freedom of movement coming under the ASEAN agreement but that is with other S E Asia countries.

There has never been "freedom of movement" proposed within any ASEAN agreement. 

If you wish to disagree then produce some evidence in the form of reputable links which supports what you claim.