changing residential address during 90 day reporting period

Im in the govt teaching job and have a WP and ext of stay based on employment. I did the 90 day reporting online a month ago. We are moving into a new rental house in 2 weeks. Am I obliged to report the change of address to immigration? As this is Thailand no one will surely care or know if I don't one would presume? 

Thanks for your opinion on this

cheers

You should report your change of address to immigration. You will  need to submit a TM28 form to do it.

If you tried to do a online 90 day report using your new address it would likely not be approved when it is processed at your local immigration office.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should report your change of address to immigration. You will  need to submit a TM28 form to do it.

If you tried to do a online 90 day report using your new address it would likely not be approved when it is processed at your local immigration office.

thanks for the reply. why is that? do they check with the landlord etc?

If we are having an issue with our existing landlord can he cause problems for us even though we are there for another 2 weeks at least?

do I need to let the new landlord know that she has to fill out a form to give to immigration saying that we are new tenants. We live in the sticks and she might not know about any requirements

thanks

3 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

thanks for the reply. why is that? do they check with the landlord etc?

If we are having an issue with our existing landlord can he cause problems for us even though we are there for another 2 weeks at least?

do I need to let the new landlord know that she has to fill out a form to give to immigration saying that we are new tenants. We live in the sticks and she might not know about any requirements

thanks

Not sure what you are asking about in the first line. If you mean the 90 day report they would see a different address on the new report than what you used in the past. They check to see that the addresses match when they do the approval.

Immigration may also want a TM30 form when you do the change of address. But you or your GF/wife can do it if you have a rental agreement.

On 10/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you are asking about in the first line. If you mean the 90 day report they would see a different address on the new report than what you used in the past. They check to see that the addresses match when they do the approval.

Immigration may also want a TM30 form when you do the change of address. But you or your GF/wife can do it if you have a rental agreement.

Thanks for your reply above. I looked at the forms on the website. Am I correct in saying that the tm28 is for me to fill out and the tm30 is for the landlord? The narrative next to the tm30 states ''Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)''

If this is correct, surely Im only obligated to fill out the tm 28 and the landlord can take care of the tm30? Or do I have to get the landlord to execute it and I will take it along with me and give them both forms?

thanks

22 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Thanks for your reply above. I looked at the forms on the website. Am I correct in saying that the tm28 is for me to fill out and the tm30 is for the landlord? The narrative next to the tm30 states ''Notification Form for House Master, Owner, or the Possessor of The Residence Where Aliens Have Stay (TM.30)''

If this is correct, surely Im only obligated to fill out the tm 28 and the landlord can take care of the tm30? Or do I have to get the landlord to execute it and I will take it along with me and give them both forms?

thanks

Either the home owner or you if you are the possessor of the residence need to do the TM30.

It he homeowner will complete the TM30 form you can take with you to immigration.

You should submit a TM28 and TM30 within 24 hours of taking up your new residence to comply with the law, however that isn't always convenient, especially with the trauma of moving house.

Immigration won't know what date you moved, other than what you advise them, so my advice would be to date the forms either the day you visit Immigration, but certainly not earlier than the day before.

You should supply a copy of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address (copies signed with contact number by landlord).

Very rarely a copy of your Rental Agreement may also be requested, so be prepared.

Edited by Faz

4 hours ago, Faz said:

You should submit a TM28 and TM30 within 24 hours of taking up your new residence to comply with the law, however that isn't always convenient, especially with the trauma of moving house.

Immigration won't know what date you moved, other than what you advise them, so my advice would be to date the forms either the day you visit Immigration, but certainly not earlier than the day before.

You should supply a copy of your landlords Tabien Baan and ID card as proof of address (copies signed with contact number by landlord).

Very rarely a copy of your Rental Agreement may also be requested, so be prepared.

Thanks for your comments about this issue. 

I dont understand why I have to take the TM30 with me to immigration. Shouldn't that be the job of the landlord?

If I turn up with just the TM28 is this going to be a problem? The onus should be on the landlord to do the TM30. 

I dont know but if I go to the landlord and put the TM30 form in front of them and ask them to sign and give me copies of their tabien baan and id card they might have privacy issues with this. 

I would really like to know what will happen if I only show up with the TM28 to renew my 90 day extension. 

thanks

On 10/13/2016 at 1:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

Either the home owner or you if you are the possessor of the residence need to do the TM30.

It he homeowner will complete the TM30 form you can take with you to immigration.

sorry to bother you again joe.... but are you able to provide your opinion on the following:

I would really like to know what will happen if I only show up with the TM28 to renew my 90 day extension.... and not the TM30. I dont think that my landlord will want to help me due to privacy issues. thanks

Reading between the lines, the TM28 is the renters responsibility however the realties impact the files if its not timely submitted.

SUMMARY:  God helps those who help themselves.

RECOMMENDATION:  provide the landlord with a copy of the TM30 and inquire if he's interested in signing/providing the appropriate supplemental documentation.  You can hand-deliver it to Immigration for him. 

:) what a great renter ----

8 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

Thanks for your comments about this issue. 

I dont understand why I have to take the TM30 with me to immigration. Shouldn't that be the job of the landlord?

If I turn up with just the TM28 is this going to be a problem? The onus should be on the landlord to do the TM30. 

I dont know but if I go to the landlord and put the TM30 form in front of them and ask them to sign and give me copies of their tabien baan and id card they might have privacy issues with this. 

I would really like to know what will happen if I only show up with the TM28 to renew my 90 day extension. 

thanks

I've rented twice. On both occasions I explained I needed copies of their Tabien Baan and ID card.

Never had a problem.

If they have privacy issues, you picked the wrong landlord.

If you ever want to get your own Yellow Tabien Baan, your landlord must not only agree that you can use his address, but he must sign the application form at the Amphur. In this regard, Thais are very accommodating and helpful.

If you supply a TM28 without the TM30, one of 3 things will happen, in my opinion.

1. They may refuse to do the change of address without the TM30.

2. They may accept the TM28, but inform you they require a TM30 by the following day.

3. They may ask for your landlords number and contact him.

I've completed two TM30 myself, as the tenant of the property, but supplied copies of the landlords Tabien Baans and ID cards.

On one occasion they did ring my landlord during my submission, just to confirm the details.

Many landlords are not available to visit your Immigration office.

Under the Act, the “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever.

So to state the landlord is solely responsible for submitting the TM30 isn't factually true.

Many foreigners don't have a landlord, or rent.

On 10/13/2016 at 1:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

sorry to bother you again joe.... but are you able to provide your opinion on the following:

I would really like to know what will happen if I only show up with the TM28 to renew my 90 day extension.... and not the TM30. I dont think that my landlord will want to help me due to privacy issues. thanks

2 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Your landlord is legally obliged to notify the authorities of the presence of a foreigner in his property. 

You have a choice -- fill the TM 30 yourself as the 'possessor' of the property of find somewhere else to live. Immigration are likely to insist on having the form.

17 hours ago, Faz said:

I've rented twice. On both occasions I explained I needed copies of their Tabien Baan and ID card.

Never had a problem.

If they have privacy issues, you picked the wrong landlord.

If you ever want to get your own Yellow Tabien Baan, your landlord must not only agree that you can use his address, but he must sign the application form at the Amphur. In this regard, Thais are very accommodating and helpful.

If you supply a TM28 without the TM30, one of 3 things will happen, in my opinion.

1. They may refuse to do the change of address without the TM30.

2. They may accept the TM28, but inform you they require a TM30 by the following day.

3. They may ask for your landlords number and contact him.

I've completed two TM30 myself, as the tenant of the property, but supplied copies of the landlords Tabien Baans and ID cards.

On one occasion they did ring my landlord during my submission, just to confirm the details.

Many landlords are not available to visit your Immigration office.

Under the Act, the “ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever.

So to state the landlord is solely responsible for submitting the TM30 isn't factually true.

Many foreigners don't have a landlord, or rent.

H Faz,

I contacted the landlord and he said to me that he doesnt want to fill out that form. 

He asked us if we can put my wifes parents house address instead. I think its too risky to lie to immigration and dont want to get in trouble for this. do you agree? 

We are better off not renting this house if this is the case. Do you agree or should we just put down the inlaws address? Its a bit of an insult that she doenst trust me. She says that she is worried that I might do something in the future blah blah

2 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Your landlord is legally obliged to notify the authorities of the presence of a foreigner in his property. 

You have a choice -- fill the TM 30 yourself as the 'possessor' of the property of find somewhere else to live. Immigration are likely to insist on having the form.

Are you saying that we can fill out the TM30 as the house master and then can we put my wifes parents address and get their tabian baan and id card?

21 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Are you saying that we can fill out the TM30 as the house master and then can we put my wifes parents address and get their tabian baan and id card?

No. I am saying that you can fill the form as the 'possessor' of the property.  If Immigration require copies of the landlords tabian baan and he/she refuses you will have to find somewhere else to live. Reporting a false address would only lead to problems for you.

3 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

H Faz,

I contacted the landlord and he said to me that he doesnt want to fill out that form. 

He asked us if we can put my wifes parents house address instead. I think its too risky to lie to immigration and dont want to get in trouble for this. do you agree? 

We are better off not renting this house if this is the case. Do you agree or should we just put down the inlaws address? Its a bit of an insult that she doenst trust me. She says that she is worried that I might do something in the future blah blah

I certainly agree with Fithman that you shouldn't give a false address under any circumstances.

I completed two TM30's myself as the 'tenant', as my landlords lived in different Provinces, but on both occasions I supplied copies of their Tabien Baans and ID cards.

Is your landlord reluctant to give you copies of her documents?

Apart from Immigration there will be other situations arise where a copy of her documents may be required as proof of address, so if that's the case I would definitely looked for somewhere else to rent, unless you can belay her fears that she has nothing to worry about, it's a perfectly standard procedure when renting to foreigners.

If she's concerned you might do something in the future, why would she trust you as a tenant.

She is probably more concerned the tax man is going to come after her for not declaring the rental income, so wants to keep it quiet.

Edited by Faz
  • Like 1

I have today done my first 90 day extension at hua hin, I had to fill in a

TM28 and a TM47 also they wanted a copy of the rental agreement 

and a photo copy of passport and passport visa, they did not ask for

a TM30.

Not sure if the Condo office registered a TM30.

So you could take a chance and go with just the TM28 !