THAI TOURISM: Security advisories 'may hurt tourism'

webfact

6 hours ago, JAG said:

If for more than a couple of weeks this will kill tourism stone dead.

I completely understand and empathise with the Thai people. Many, no, most of these measures will not effect me personally,  but with several rival holiday destinations now in S E Asia,  if enforced this will be economic suicide, and will lead to significant misery and job losses. 

Yes, I think that's very true. I'm also beginning to wonder how it will pan out over the coming months. If the period of mourning declared by the PM is to be a whole year then I guess Thai girls will be forbidden from wearing skimpy outfits and disco music will be banned in the bars even if they're allowed to open.

If tourist numbers drop significantly, it'll be back to business as usual again come October next year. But if tourist numbers remain  relatively high then Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul who is the Thailand's new tourism minister may get her way and shutdown the sex industry for good: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/17/thailand-is-closed-to-sex-tourism-says-countrys-first-female-tou/

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Visited my favorite bar late last night, looking for a feed and a brew.

the manager told me she had to close the kitchen, due to low clientele, and worse, with only two people drinking, the bar would close next, as regardless of clientele numbers ( not helped by the very unfortunate passing of the king), she still had to pay rent, regardless of government edits (or any other business killing initiatives)

Phrachuap being an army(airforce) town i was prepared for the worst  but ....

last night (Friday) market open as usual town busy with Bangkok visitors  restaurants crowded , both Thai and farangs sitting drinking beer on promenade .

A lot of Thais in black but apart from that and the promenade lights turned off business as usual here.

Today  at Ao Manao banana boats  busy and  many tourists mostly Thai on beach 

Now Pattaya or Bangkok its not but it depends to a extent on tourists especially Thais from bangkok

I have  a  feeling things will be allowed to get back to some sort of normality soon , certainly here its appearing that way already

2 hours ago, puukao said:

Sunday market in Chiang Mai was the quietest I've ever seen it around 7 p.m.....OK, sample size not too large, maybe 50.....but anyhow......

some days I am safe and you are not...other days you are safe and I am not....

I will sell my closet space to someone to use as a safe bunker...

500 baht per hour after i get my work permit sorted...

500 Baht per hour....55555555555555. Maybe 40 !!!!!

1 hour ago, Asiantravel said:

" if enforced this will be economic suicide, and will lead to significant misery and job losses.  "

I remember learning about the "multiplier effect " in basic economics which can also work in a negative way  leading to an initial fall in national income

You mean like The Pound !

As is always too common on TVF, members tend to read too much between the lines of the statements issued by government institutions.

The original article to simply be stating that tourism could drop because of the threat of bombs.  Period!

The article is not indicating that it would be best for law enforcement to tone down or avoid providing warnings against acts of terrorism.  It is simply stating that the alerts will affect tourism.

In the US, we say "No $hit Sherlock".  Here on TVF, it boils down to a huge conspiracy... as always.

On 13/10/2016 at 1:45 PM, djlest said:

Just like clockwork every year since Mr T left - every year around August and afterwards we get these so called blame it on Islam terrorist attacks or warnings...  its all just smoke and mirrors... the south keep their affairs south and im not buying it...

And 9/11 was the work of the Jews. Whatever. Believe what you want.

There is a disconnect between some  TVFers, the Thai government and foreign governments in respect to the threat of terrorism in Thailand. Reading the Thai media, I was under the impression that there were only a small number of  IED explosions. However, according to the Australian government there were 24. How many people here were aware that there were that many? As such, I do not have confidence in the Thai government to provide me with suitable warning or information. The UK and Australian governments offer rational advice, especially the Australian.

HM UK Government offers this caution;       There were multiple explosions and incidents in tourist areas across Thailand on 11, 12 and 14 August 2016. There remains an increased security presence in some tourist areas. You should exercise caution, particularly in public places, and follow the advice of local authorities. Further incidents are possible in these and other areas of Thailand.

There is a high threat from terrorism. There have been recent incidents in a number of locations including Bangkok, where a bomb explosion on 17 August 2015 resulted in numerous casualties including the death of a British national. You should follow the advice of the local authorities, monitor local media reports and remain vigilant.

Australia provides the following caution;    We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the possibility of civil unrest and the threat of terrorist attack, including in Bangkok and Phuket. You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times and where possible monitor the local media, including social media, for information about possible new safety or security risks.

On 11-12 August, around two dozen incidents involving numerous improvised explosive devices (IEDs), arson and other suspicious events occurred in multiple locations in Thailand causing four deaths and over thirty injuries. Some of the IEDs were detonated in locations frequented by tourists, including Hua Hin, Patong Beach and Loma Park in Phuket, Phang Nga, Trang, and Surat Thani. Further incidents in any part of Thailand are possible. There may be an increased security presence, including at airports and other places. Monitor local media and be particularly vigilant in crowded areas

6 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Couldn't care less...I don' drink...OK, maybe a glass of red

wine with Italian Foof, once or twice a year.

Another ' I'm all right Jack ' post so nothing and no one else matters.

It's not just an issue about alcohol not being available but consider if any business closes it's highly unlikely the staff will be paid and if the closure is for an extended period it causes problems.

People have to live and bills don't get suspended because work has been.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

7 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Buying a set of cloths of the color not-to-be-named can be tough on your bank account

Interesting, although stronger language might be more appropriate, that at such an emotional time the Commerce Ministry, at a very early stage, felt it necessary to warn people not to cash in on the demand for dark clothing.

Subsequent to this the forum carried a thread reporting that people were complaining about increased prices.