Worms! Albendazole seems to be working. Do I need addition antibiotic?

dblaisde

Just asking.

I once got a bacterial infection from changing my son's diapers 25 years ago, and would keep getting reinfected despite successful antibiotic cure. Turned out the little buggers were seeking shelter outside my body and would crawl back in to reinfect me. (and my toddler son) A very dedicated nurse figured it out (that I needed an external antibiotic cream).

Should I be also using an antibiotic cream around my, um, anus as extra protect against reinfection?

If so, and for general info, what's the names of some of these creams?

Thanks to all.

Edited by dblaisde

As others have said, worms are not bacteria and antibiotics have no effect on them.

In addition, they are not acquired through your anus. Depending o nthe worm, they are acquired either through what you eat/drink, or (e.g. hookwiorm) enter through the skin elsewhere on the body, usually the soles of the feet

There are worms, like  pinworms that are initially acquired by mouth, but escape the anus to cause reinfections. Is there a need to apply a topical antibiotic around the anus to kill the organism or eggs that may be present there and may cause recurring infections? That was my simple question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinworm_infection

I feel much better after the albendazole  treatment and hope that the 400mg I took at bedtime for 3 consecutive days has cured the infection, whatever it was. I took my last pill last night.

If it hasn't I will go into the hospital and do my cycle of stool tests until the organism has been identified and the appropriate antibiotic prescribed as I usually do.

PS I doubt these are parasites. since the symptoms developed within 6 hours after eating.

I hope this is clear enough for you to understand.

Thanks for replying.

But I was using the pinworm simply as an *example* so others could understand better what my concern was in general (reinfection and how it can happen with worms). Does what you say about pinworms apply equally to other worms that are common in Thailand? 

I have no idea *what* I have except that it seems to have been helped by using albendazole. 

If this treatment fails, I'll be going to a hospital with a good lab as every sensible person would. I suppose Bumrungrad is as good as any other. Maybe I should say "(it's the lab and) the doctor, not the hospital".

thanks again

Edited by dblaisde