26 injured after roof sliced off London bus

rooster59

26 injured after roof sliced off London bus

606x341_347477.jpg

26 people have been injured when a double-decker bus crashed into a railway bridge in London.

Firefighters say the bus roof was sliced off.

Three people trapped on the top deck had to be freed.

Five were taken to hospital after the accident in the early hours in Tottenham in the north of the UK capital.

London bus has top decktornoff in horrorbridge crash withatleast 26 hurthttps://t.co/vnPKsD909P pic.twitter.com/yKKmUMF1xx

— Report UK (@ReportUK) October22, 2016

Police say they are investigating the incident. None of those injured is in a life-threatening condition.

Transport for London (TfL) says the bus had been privately hired and was not being operated by them.

There is no comment on media reports that the bus was being operated by an events and entertainment company.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-23

2 hours ago, JoePai said:

Burmese driving it   :wink:

Or can be Thai. Because this can only happen in Thailand according to those who can't blame a perfect European driver with a license :P

Did the driver have a licence, had he even taken a driving test?  Probably worked too many hours, was drunk and on ya ba.

This emphasises that there are obviously no road safety regulations in Britain, either that or the lazy, corrupt police were just not doing their jobs as usual. 

I am glad that I no longer live in that life-threatening country and I rest assured that this type of bus accident has never happened in Thailand.

Not the first time this has happened.  Similar incident just three weeks ago: Isleworth bridge crash: Roof of double decker bus ripped off.

Of course, it's not just buses: Notorious Tulse Hill bridge struck by truck for 17th time in just six months

The law in the UK requires most vehicles over 3m tall to have a notice in the cab indicating the vehicle's maximum height, see page 2 of Prevention of Bridge Strikes, a pamphlet issued by Network Rail because these strikes on railway bridges, and it is usually railway bridges which are struck, cause huge disruption to the line as the bridge has to be checked to ensure it is structurally sound after each and every strike. No trains are allowed to pass over the bridge until that check is complete and the bridge is declared safe.

As far as I can ascertain, there is no law saying that buses must have a sign in the cab giving the vehicle's maximum height; but the DVSA's National standard for driving buses and coaches (category D) does say on page 12

You must know and understand:

i. the height, width, length and weight of the vehicle you are driving (taking into account its likely load)

While I was held up in a queue following a bridge strike ahead I was told by a police officer that these strikes usually happen because drivers, or their employers, buy ordinary sat navs designed for cars rather than the more expensive ones for high sided vehicles which would not take the vehicle down a route with a bridge which is too low for the vehicle.

There are, of course, signs warning of low bridges ahead, but it would appear many drivers of high sided vehicles blindly follow their sat nav and ignore the signs!

Same here in the US, every morning I hear of trucks stuck under a low bridge during the traffic report.

Easy , low tech, low cost solution. before a low bridge that has repeated problems of that nature, or at the entrance of a highway  with low bridges, hung a couple of chains at the height of the lowest bridge.

Truck or Bus , if higher, hits the chains, and is warned of the danger.

2 hours ago, khundon said:

Why not put the drivers cab up front on the top deck.

I guarantee, numbers for this type of accident will fall dramatically.  :coffee1:

I have a feeling a lot of pedestrians would get run over :sorry: