Life with the farang abroad - no bed of roses, says German's wife

webfact

Life with the farang abroad - no bed of roses, says German's wife

p1.jpg

Picture: Kapook

BANGKOK: -- An Isaan country girl who married a German man and went to live abroad has gone online to say her life is no bed of roses. She has to work to survive.

Seangpin Schuler posted a video saying: "Those who think that marrying a farang is a way to riches and an easy life - forget it!"

Kapook.com featured the story about the mother of four who exchanged the north east of Thailand for Germany.

Seangpin thought at first that her life would be easy. She thought she was lucky and her husband would take care of everything. An easy life beckoned but then the reality kicked in.

The cost of living in Gerrmany compared very unfavourably with her life back in Thailand. Gone were the days of taking a growing family out for dinner and being able to pay just 1000 baht.

In Germany you were lucky to get much change out of 5,000 or 6,000 she said.

Even a small bunch of basil was 200 baht - often you just had to go without.

Yes, it is not an easy life, she said. She has to find ways to make money to take care of herself and the children. She can't just expect her husband to take care of everything.

She has to find her own way to survive.

The video prompted a lot of online comment from Thais most of whom said no matter where you live and with whom, you have to work and get money to survive. It was no different abroad though it might be more expensive in many places.

Source: Kapook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-31

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sheesh, years ago (like, 15 or so) I used to have conversations with girls and they'd ask about living in Canada. I told them what they could earn as a waitress/cashier, shop clerk, etc and they all wanted to immediately move to Canada !

Then I explained to them how the government takes up to 33% of their salary right off the top in taxes and how they have to pay additional taxes on almost everything they buy, and may still have to pay even more taxes at the end of the year ! I also told them what a small apartment in a cheap (and not so nice) part of Vancouver would cost, and how much other things would cost. Yeah, they could make more money, but they'd also have to pay a lot more just to get by.

Then I told them what the weather was like at that time (it was February and in Pattaya the temperature was down to around 20 Celsius while in Vancouver it was a mild 0 degrees) ! Once they realized that they quickly changed their minds about wanting to move there !

They are brainwashed to believe that the streets are paved with gold and that we are all millionaires.  

When i fist took my Mrs to Britain and we were there for three months it was the biggest learning curve she had ever been on in her life.  Upon return she smashed the dreams of dozens of her old friends who all expected her to be telling them it was paradise there !

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Sheesh, years ago (like, 15 or so) I used to have conversations with girls and they'd ask about living in Canada. I told them what they could earn as a waitress/cashier, shop clerk, etc and they all wanted to immediately move to Canada !

Then I explained to them how the government takes up to 33% of their salary right off the top in taxes and how they have to pay additional taxes on almost everything they buy, and may still have to pay even more taxes at the end of the year ! I also told them what a small apartment in a cheap (and not so nice) part of Vancouver would cost, and how much other things would cost. Yeah, they could make more money, but they'd also have to pay a lot more just to get by.

Then I told them what the weather was like at that time (it was February and in Pattaya the temperature was down to around 20 Celsius while in Vancouver it was a mild 0 degrees) ! Once they realized that they quickly changed their minds about wanting to move there !

I am also from Canada and told the exact same thing. What really changed their minds was when I explained what a prenup agreement was and that they would not receive half of what the man owns... Strange how quickly they changed the subject.

I can only laugh. 

When my wife(GF at the time) decided to go back to the US with me she was initially excited. After being there 3 months and me back at work full time she took it on herself to look for employment. At first she was happy as there wasn't any discrimination about her age. She went to work with a Thai we had met at a Temple in Fremont. She owned a restaurant/catering business. She worked a lot and her first check was crushed after she saw how much taxes they took. Then when she started to add it all up she found that after gas in car and other costs that she was taking home very little. She, like the gal in the OP, found it very hard to find certain spices and herbs and when she did had to pay a premium. She made due. 

In the end I am glad she had this experience. As she has told many of her friends while we were there, do not believe all of what you read on the internet or see in the news. Its very very expensive to live in America and you work a lot and make very little. She absolutely freaked when she saw what they took in my check. 

She is very happy to be here.

33 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

They are brainwashed to believe that the streets are paved with gold and that we are all millionaires.  

When i fist took my Mrs to Britain and we were there for three months it was the biggest learning curve she had ever been on in her life.  Upon return she smashed the dreams of dozens of her old friends who all expected her to be telling them it was paradise there !

Trouble is a lot of them lie to save face and others believe them. My mrs keeps telling me her relative earns 100k baht a month working in a Post Office in the UK, every time I try to find out where this office is there is never any info. It's well known that waitresses earn even more!

What do some posters on here say?  if you dont like it, leave and go back to your beautiful life back home.  you're sick buffalo misses you and so does mum and dad.  some of these girls have to realise that farangs aren't rich, it's a dream.

Bill Burr does a great stand up bit on women moaning about how hard they have it. Of course he's exaggerating for comedy value, but some much rings true. 

Often you hear this "Being a mother is the hardest job in the world" Really? Is it? I'd have thought working down a coal mine was, but I guess taking care of children that 'you' so desperately wanted is much harder. There can be an air of arrogance with some women on what they are entitled to and what they should and shouldn't have to do.

So lucky I found a woman who was taught that there's nothing in life for free. You're gonna have to earn it one way or the other. 

59 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Just another live testimonial that life in Europe is more expensive than Thailand!

But a new Benz is much cheaper in Jurrumanee, so is good beer and the meals are 3 times as large with much more meat.

Food in supermarkets is also much cheaper than in Thailand.

I am also from Canada and told the exact same thing. What really changed their minds was when I explained what a prenup agreement was and that they would not receive half of what the man owns... Strange how quickly they changed the subject.

Prenup does not surpass family law in Canada. Also, no one receives half of what "the man" owes.

My wife runs her own business here in Oz, and her work ethic is staggering. Yes, she was shocked when the realisation dawned that what I had been saying about how expensive Australia is was true, but she is so grateful to be able to live here, and have the opportunity to make enough money that the extra expense here is more than negated.

Poor Herr Schuler having met such an unambitious, ungrateful cow.

Edit: She, too, was shocked about how much tax she had to pay - especially when her business turnover exceeded the compulsory registration threshold for GST (VAT)!

Edited by jamesbrock

She has to work! And germany is full with farlangs. And they suhpeek passaa jerman. And the pee is not always right. And police cannot BE bribed. And they dont take off their shoes. And THERE IS no bumgun: GERMANY.NO.GOOD!

She married 45 year old "Shulz" who works in a Volkswagen factory down in Bavaria, he wights 140 kg and has problem with mobility so he have to work in the store where the salary is lower.

On Sundays he wears lederhosen and goes to the OlenHaus to drink Ol with his buddies.....