Sihanoukville area to retire and invest in a guesthouse?

Sally Salvatore

I tried to post this on Pattaya addict but as I expected some negative BM had to try to hijack the thread with their worthless jokes and post, hope I find more mature post here, it is a mature forum.

I was looking at Cambodia to retire, I am interested in the Sihanoukville area. I like the beach areas better then the river areas. My plan is to open a guest house and small pizza shop. Not looking to be a pimp and the instability of Thailand has me concerned but who know what will happen in 5 years. 

I know all the negative Neds will say opening a pizza shop is a bad idea but I am the best, I have won awards and made it where others have failed. Does anyone go to Sihanoukville area? Not much info on Cambodia on youtube other then No Joke Howard, most people hate him but I find him entertaining and he gives some good information about PP. 

He admits he is not a monger and had his problems with drug abuse in his past. He doesn't drink much if any but he loves his Happy Shakes.

If anyone knows of any youtube pages that give good information on the area please post them , anywhere in Cambodia

I can only provide some items that might help to assess the situation in some regard to some extent.

As for pizza: check the Olive Olive restaurant at the Gold Lion roundabout to see what the pizza competition is offering and at what price.

Some restaurant owners have relocated to Siem Reap. Reason being SR has a booming year round tourism industry with numbers vastly exceeding SHV. Plus, SHV has  a long rainy season with limited business.

GH owners claim that the business is a cut throat business with tricks played over and again. Critically tuk-tuk and motorbike drivers expect a full night's price as fee for delivering tourists even if these guys would have anyhow showed up. Some Ghs try to reduce the impact by offering free pickups.

You are probably familiar with much of the above. But perhaps there is still something in it that might help.

Finally, have you considered Vietnam?

Plenty of pizza places already in SHV, will be hard to compete. Plenty of guesthouses, too, ditto.

Also be aware that rule of law exists only on paper and forced evictions are commonplace here, locations near the beach would be especially high risk as there are monied people with long term plans for the area. Plenty of foreigners (and locals) have lost their capital after investing in a business only to have it abruptly shut down/razed. Something to think about.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Plenty of pizza places already in SHV, will be hard to compete. Plenty of guesthouses, too, ditto.

Also be aware that rule of law exists only on paper and forced evictions are commonplace here, locations near the beach would be especially high risk as there are monied people with long term plans for the area. Plenty of foreigners (and locals) have lost their capital after investing in a business only to have it abruptly shut down/razed. Something to think about.

Thank you,

I do not have to be right on the beach but in close walking distance. 

It is scary where or when ever you invest your money but you have to go in with a good plan. Have good information and enough capital to help you through the slow times. But you are right I have a lot to think about before doing anything, it is not something you should just jump into. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/11/2016 at 1:42 AM, Sally Salvatore said:

Thank you,

I do not have to be right on the beach but in close walking distance. 

It is scary where or when ever you invest your money but you have to go in with a good plan. Have good information and enough capital to help you through the slow times. But you are right I have a lot to think about before doing anything, it is not something you should just jump into. 

PM me, I have a cousin who has lived in Cambodia for 7 years and run a successful Pizza Shop in Siem Reep . I can send you his info and specs on his restaurant. He decided to move back to America after woring in Hong Kong and Cambodia for many years.

Archived