Vontage Phone System

siddv

I'm interested in knowing if anyone has tried using Vonage for international calls from Thaialnd. I need to attend teleconferences being held in the USA while I'm in BKK. I have a high speed internet in my home in BKK (I live in the USA). If not Vonage is there another system anyone could recommend. The conferences use a toll free 800 number so once I connect into that number I should be ok. Thanks

Hello,

It depends.. first I live in Chiang Mai and use Packet8.net and Lingo.com (both similar to vonage) and sometimes my skype in and out service. Vonage uses the same ports so it should be open as well.. I have heard from others on this board that some internet service providers here in thailand block those ports. I would say its a safe bet to say that you have a very good chance of being able to use it when you come. But I would not put all your eggs in one basket. I have a lingo line because if for some reason packet8 has a problem (which is rare) I have a fall back position with the Lingo line.

As far as I am concerned though packet8 rocks here in Thailand, I have used in bangkok and Chiang Mai and never really had any problems.

Check this thread from April of this year. I still use Vonage (used it in Pattaya on JI-NET and now in Chiang Mai with TRUE) and it does NOT disappoint me. The quality is very, very good. If anything, the service has improved since we covered this thread.

Edited by Rice_King

We have 3 Vonage numbers...2 different numbers in my office and a third number in my apt and they are great. Very rarely have any kind of a problem... The phones in the office are in constant use. Now that Vonage has added a bunch of European countries to the plan, they get even more use.

You have to get the Vonage set up in the US and then bring it to Thailand and set it up.

for $25 a month, it is a very good system...

Stoneman

Thanks Rice King. I have True internet in the BKK home. So I set up my Vonage in BKK or here in the USA?

To echo what Stoneman says, you will need to purchase the Vonage service while you're in the USA and then bring the box over to Thailand. Prior to leaving the USA and if possible, connect the Vonage box to a broadband internet connection to ascertain that it is working correctly. (The last thing you want is to bring the Vonage box half-way around the globe and then realize it is DOA!) Once you know it is operating correctly and that you're satisfied with the voice quality, pack it up and bring it (or ship it) to Thailand. You then just need to buy a power adapter for the correct voltage here. The power adapters are readily available at Panthip, etc for 100 - 200 baht.

How did you use Vonage in Pattaya?

Not sure what you're asking me here. :o

Edited by Rice_King

Actually you answered my question thank you much. I did see the previous thread regarding the power adapter. "Panthip" those are retail outlets? I am familar with Fortune Town and will just take it there looking for the equivilant as someone suggested.

Thanks again..of course must be carfeul what I ask for..I do like to relax while in BKK and fear I may start working too much!!!!

To echo what Stoneman says, you will need to purchase the Vonage service while you're in the USA and then bring the box over to Thailand. Prior to leaving the USA and if possible, connect the Vonage box to a broadband internet connection to ascertain that it is working correctly. ..You then just need to buy a power adapter for the correct voltage here. The power adapters are readily available at Panthip, etc for 100 - 200 baht.

Just had my Vonage phone system delivered here in the US and I'm taking to BKK next week. I notice that the AC/DC power adapter is rated at input 100-240v and output at 12v. interestingly the adaptor itself is made in Thailand by Delta Electronics for Motorola Japan. Am I ok here or do I still need a new power adpater. Thanks

I use Skype from Thailand all the time for calls to the USA, Europe and around Asia, and I am very happy with the audio quality. Skype out to the USA costs $0.02/minute and all you need is a PC and a good internet connection. If you have a laptop, you can carry your service around with you as well.

Just had my Vonage phone system delivered here in the US and I'm taking to BKK next week. I notice that the AC/DC power adapter is rated at input 100-240v and output at 12v. interestingly the adaptor itself is made in Thailand by Delta Electronics for Motorola Japan. Am I ok here or do I still need a new power adpater. Thanks

From you post, it appears that Vonage may have finally "got with the program" with worldwide compatible power adapters. (It is about time!) I think you'll be ok by just bringing that adapter here Siddv.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case as the volatges appear to be the same as my Sony and Nikon battery chargers which I use in BKK. Just thought I'd double check. Thanks much for the quick reply.

Out of curiousity, are those of you using Vonage in Thailand set up with a US telephone number?

Yes! Mine is a California number. I can also have "virtual" numbers for an added cost of $4.99 (each number) per month. So, let's say I have a business that has customers in Los Angeles and Boston. I could have two numbers, one in LA and one in Boston that are "local" calls for those clients. I can get as many "virtual" numbers as I need.

My folks have Vonage at their home on the east coast. Calls between Vonage customers are (FREE) not counted / billed. Otherwise, I would get a number that was a local call for them as well.

I do business in the states over the summers and use this phone so much. Love Vonage. Their customer service stinks...but the product is fantastic. My friends and family probably call too much now so I have to avoid the phone just like when I was back home :o

Better quality than using a Thai line for me.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am now in my Bangkok home and I am happy to report that my Vonage system works great!!! This is amazing. I have no idea how this works and I don't care. I can call the US and my friends and business associates can call me on my new telephone number here in Thailand. I added a new number so I can distinguish them but I could have kept the old one. Anyways the quality is great, as if I was next door. peopl have no idea they are calling Thailand when they call the US number. The only downside is now I may actually have to start working in the wee hours!!!! I was chatting with someone the other day on Sukhumvit and we got to talking about Vonage and she uses it also. She is building a home with her husband on Koh Samui and they work in the states also. She even packs hers to connect in hotels she says.

Anyways thank you all here for the help and in answering the questions I had. Much appreciated.