paypal exchange rate

gamini

Last week when I tried to buy something online from the UK using my PayPal. Just before I confirmed the payment, I noticed that the exchange rate was BT 50 to the GB pound. Luckily I immediately cancelled the transaction because the rate that day was just over BT42 to the GB pound. This is utterly ridiculous, it would mean by using PayPal it would cost me more than 20% plus commission. I sent an email to PayPal to enquire about this rate and I got no reply.

Whenever I buy anything using Paypal they give me the price and the total price including postage before I click on pay the bill. I have a rough idea of the daily exchange rate and if I want an updated one then I can go online to my Thai bank 24/7 and get their latest rate.

I can use XE.com as a comparison also but is of more use for large amounts.

I can cancel the transaction at any time if I dont like the price or the exchange rate. All that means is that I dont get the item that I want to buy.

You can also use any credit card if you wish (but I have no idea of the charges involved) and I am not sure if a debit card works.

Right now the exchange rate on Paypal for USD to THB transfers is 34.023, the exchange rate on XE.COM is 35.01 - but remember that XE.COM is showing the mid-rate, not the rate you will get at any bank. The Bangkok Bank rate is around 34.54.

I've never heard of them charging 20% on purchases. 

yes pay pal is expensive on the exchange

however on some sites like Agoda you can chose your currency of billing, if you chose your Paypal base currency then Paypal does not penalise you, some time you can buy on eBay in base currency as well

the guarantee Paypal give is with some of the cost, due to using Paypal on some 200/300 purchases over the last 2/3 years, I have never lost out and Paypal have refunded me several times for non delivery or faulty goods