Quiet Chill place to spend Xmas and New Years

limirl

I am looking for somewhere laid back to spend Christmas and new years by myself in Thailand or possibly somewhere else in SE Asia. I will be in SE asia for about 3 months between projects and need somewhere to destress and chill out, kick back & drink some beer and maybe do a little sightseeing away from the hordes. I realise Christmas and new years is exceptionally busy in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chang Mai and most of the islands with sky high prices for accomodation and crowds. This will be my 15th or 16th trip to Thailand and places I have been thinking of going are Kanchanaburi getting a place by the river and doing nothing, Chantaburi because every time I passed by on the main road to the Cambodian border or to Koh Chang the countryside around there looked beautiful. Then there is Cha-am down by Hua Hin is another possibility. Outside of Thailand I was thinking Vang Vieng in Laos but I heard it is attracting a lot of of Chinese tour groups now or there is Otres beach in Sihanoukville Cambodia.

Would love to hear others people opinions or ideas.

Cheers.

Sounds wonderful!  Do you want to stay in one place?  Or move around a bit?  What's your budget?

Outside the few weeks right around Xmas and NYE, prices shouldn't be too bad.  More than they are in September, but not sky high like right around the holidays.  So perhaps find somewhere that's not going to be too busy for that time frame.  Bangkok, surprisingly, is very quiet around this time of year.  We were there 2 years ago and had a great time.  Lots to do and see.

I'm not so sure this holiday season is going to be as packed as previous ones.  Chinese and "Russian" tourists are not here as much now.  Same thing to a degree with some other nationalities due to the economy and currency issues.  Hot spots with limited accommodations like Samui, Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Phuket, will be more crowded.  CM has lots of accommodations, though you might be a bit outside the downtown area.  Shouldn't have a problem here in Pattaya as there are hundreds of hotels.

Snooky is OK.  Lots of backpackers and IMHO, you need your own transport to get around.  It's a bit spread out.  Koh Chang is pretty nice.  Might be possible to lock up a short term 3 month rental there.  Not a lot to do other than the beach and the bars though.  Great beaches!

Just some random thoughts with my first cup of coffee for the day! LOL

The first place I stumbled upon when I came here was Ko Lanta, which was great around xmas. 

I still think, as you mention, the price on some beaches will be over-inflated - I still think you could find some places on the southern beaches for a reasonable price, especially if the beach is not your main concern, despite people telling you it's full of Muslims -  there's still plenty of rustic bars to sit and watch the sun go down.

Prolly not a great deal to do other than that, or a trip out to the national park.

Try Loie... I had a few days up there recently.. beautiful scenery.. clean and quiet... Chiang Khan on the river was great..  some good restaurants and a good market.. Air Asia fly to Loie (city).. and have a van connect to Chiang Khan.. 

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Chiang+Khan+Loie

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Orchid+hotel+loie

A few photos from our visit..  

P1230449.JPG

P1230476.JPG

P1230485.JPG

P1230493.JPG

P1230496.JPG

P1230509.JPG

P1230524.JPG

P1230653.JPG

P1230657.JPG

I spent a Christmas and New Year on the Mekong River. They had cruises both on the North and South Mekong in Laos. This is something I can recommend

North Mekong

10.jpg

11.jpg

North Mekong River in Laos

12.jpg

This is the boat we lived on during the cruise on the south part of Mekong

20.jpg

21.jpg

My room

22.jpg

My room

23.jpg

We make a stop to go see an old temple ruin in the forest

24.jpg

Enjoying the evening on deck while cruising on the South Mekong in Laos

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've seen these cruises. But they seem expensive.  Are they?  Looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Try their web page http://www.luangsay.com/

3218.jpg

3219.jpg          3199.jpg

The South part of Mekong and we lived on the boat. It cost more than the North, not to much, but I don't remember. But it was very nice and I might do it again. But then in Cambodia or Vietnam

31.jpg

Preparing for dinner

32.jpg

Having dinner, we were 10 or 12 passengers and we changed tables and friends every day

33.jpg

Breakfast Breakfast and lunch was enjoyed on deck

30.jpg

35.jpg

There were time to relax between the meals

34.jpg

I was going alone, and there was another guy from Australia that was alone. The others were couples on the trip. I was not the youngest on board, but almost

On the North Mekong cruise we stop at a hotel over night. A beautiful hotel And there was a Christmas party

I have always hated Thai food, but after this trip I love it. Well, I love the Lao food, same as Thai but not so spicy. I even took a cooking class and Vientiane and now I love the Thai food. Well, I usually upset my Thai friends when I call it Lao food

13.jpg

The hotel

14.jpg

Coming ashore at the hotel

11.jpg

Our boat

12.jpg

My room

15.jpg

Christmas party

10.jpg

A boat on Mekong

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

It was a very relaxing trip and I enjoyed it very much, a we bit cold though

Edited by Aladdin

4 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I spent a Christmas and New Year on the Mekong River. They had cruises both on the North and South Mekong in Laos. This is something I can recommend

North Mekong

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

This is the boat we lived on during the cruise on the south part of Mekong

20.jpg

21.jpg

My room

22.jpg

My room

23.jpg

We make a stop to go see an old temple ruin in the forest

24.jpg

Enjoying the evening on deck while cruising on the South Mekong in Laos

Where in south Laos?   Looks great..  nice pics..

For real calm you could try a pool villa holiday among the lime and rice plantations of rural Udon Thani province at Green Gecko or Gecko Villa -- and make sure you also include a boat trip on the Talay Bua Daeng or Red Lotus Sea which is just next door to them. Rates include transfers and meals - and cold beers!

BTW, Vang Vieng is the complete opposite of what you are looking for if it is calm you are after!

704971533111_0_ALB.jpg

Koh Kong, the border town on the Cambodian side down the coast after Trat. Nothing much there, three bars and 5 hotels and excellent western food at Fat Sam's. Some 20 expats there you get to meet within 2-3 days, half of them German, do some charity teaching at the local village school, chill out. Maybe a dirt bike tour up the river.

9 hours ago, Ten2 said:

For real calm you could try a pool villa holiday among the lime and rice plantations of rural Udon Thani province at Green Gecko or Gecko Villa -- and make sure you also include a boat trip on the Talay Bua Daeng or Red Lotus Sea which is just next door to them. Rates include transfers and meals - and cold beers!

BTW, Vang Vieng is the complete opposite of what you are looking for if it is calm you are after!

704971533111_0_ALB.jpg

Thanks for the link.. I have heard of this place before.. it sounds great.. nice pic.  You are right about Vang Vieng.. beautiful scenery but the place is a dump with all the backpackers.. the restaurants were all playing 'Friends' on their TVs.. unbelievable. but true.. 

15 hours ago, Aladdin said:

Try their web page http://www.luangsay.com/

3218.jpg

3219.jpg          3199.jpg

The South part of Mekong and we lived on the boat. It cost more than the North, not to much, but I don't remember. But it was very nice and I might do it again. But then in Cambodia or Vietnam

Very interesting.  Not bad prices.  Here's what I had seen.  I'm sure it's 5 star, but too much for me:

https://www.pandaw.com/

Another interesting reference:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/river-cruises/The-Mekong-river-cruise-guide/

You said it was a bit cool?  When did you go?

21 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I've seen these cruises. But they seem expensive.  Are they?  Looks wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a bit of a look.. about $5,000 US for 10 days is what I saw... worth checking further though.. that was to China from Vientiang..

7 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Thanks for the link.. I have heard of this place before.. it sounds great.. nice pic.  You are right about Vang Vieng.. beautiful scenery but the place is a dump with all the backpackers.. the restaurants were all playing 'Friends' on their TVs.. unbelievable. but true.. 

I thought this was around 3 years ago but apparently the backpackers and their stupid drunken floating tube parties have all but disappeared as the authorities cracked down on them...no?

I heard the place had rediscovered itself and was now attracting a lot of Asian tourists. The scenery there looked very appealing plus I would probably stay at somewhere a slightly more upriver than in the actual town.

Edited by limirl
Bad grammar