Trump begins to play catch up on transition to White House

webfact

Trump begins to play catch up on transition to White House

By STEVE PEOPLES and JONATHAN LEMIRE

WASHINGTON (AP) — The true test now begins for Donald Trump.

The Republican president-elect paid little attention to transition planning leading up to his stunning victory. With 72 days before he takes control of the executive branch, Trump and his senior team on Wednesday immediately began the herculean task of picking a Cabinet and tapping hundreds of appointees to senior roles in key departments — State, Defense, Homeland Security, Commerce and Treasury among them — many requiring multiple security reviews or Senate confirmation.

"They have a long way to go," said Max Stier, president and CEO of the Partnership for Public Service, an outside group that was working with both campaigns on transition planning since the summer. "It's imperative to have the right people brought in fast and they're prepared."

Stier described the transition as "a point of maximum vulnerability" for the nation.

As president-elect, Trump is entitled to get the same daily intelligence briefing as President Barack Obama — one that includes information on U.S. covert operations, information gleaned about world leaders and other data gathered by America's 17 intelligence agencies.

Trump's senior team huddled privately to being a more focused period of transition planning. The group included the transition chairman, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, and Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, Vice President-elect Mike Pence and daughter Ivanka Trump's husband, Jared Kushner, among others.

The team is putting a premium on quickly filling key national security posts, according to people familiar with the conversations but not authorized to discuss them publicly.

"It's something that's got to be pretty close held until the president-elect is ready to begin to announce appointments," said Bill Hagerty, Trump's director of presidential appointments, who declined to offer any details on a timeline for Trump's first personnel moves. A chief of staff is traditionally appointed in the initial weeks after an election.

Haggerty said the transition from one administration to another "in essence, is a $2 trillion takeover when you think about it."

A small transition team has been meeting since early August to discuss legislative priorities and plans for taking over agencies. While Christie provided Trump with weekly updates, until now, the campaign and transition operations functioned as relatively distinct entities and in different cities — Trump's campaign in New York and the transition team in Washington.

An organizational chart for the transition team obtained by The Associated Press confirms that some familiar names are playing senior roles in the formation of a Trump administration.

National security planning was being led by former Michigan Rep. Mike Rogers, who previously worked for the FBI. Joseph "Keith" Kellogg, a retired Army lieutenant general, was heading defense planning. For domestic issues, the Trump transition team was relying on the leadership of Ken Blackwell, a former Cincinnati mayor and Ohio secretary of state.

A Trump spokesman did not respond to questions about the team.

It's far from clear who would occupy Trump's Cabinet and senior staff. His inner circle is famously small, defined by loyalty to the president-elect and largely devoid of establishment leaders.

Trump offered a roadmap for prospective administration figures while on stage during his victory speech early Wednesday.

The president-elect praised Christie, who joined Trump on stage as he declared victory, despite Christie's abysmal poll numbers at home and continued scrutiny for the so-called Bridgegate scandal.

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani emerged as one of Trump's closest advisers and regular traveling partners in the campaign's final stretch. The former federal prosecutor is a possible fit for a post like attorney general or national security adviser.

Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions was the first major Capitol Hill lawmaker to back Trump. His hard-line immigration views became a centerpiece of the insurgent campaign. Sessions' chief of staff, Rick Dearborn, has also emerged as a key figure in transition planning.

While many Republican national security leaders shunned Trump, retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn was the Republican nominee's most experienced national security voice. Flynn accompanied Trump when he received his first classified intelligence briefing.

Steven Mnuchin, a Goldman Sachs veteran and CEO of a private investment firm, served as Trump's finance chairman and instantly becomes a contender for Treasury secretary. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich could emerge as a possible secretary of state. Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, who was considered for Trump's running mate and chairs the Foreign Relations Committee, may also be in line for a job.

Priebus latched himself to Trump once he became the nominee and, despite at times fierce opposition from within his own party, became a key voice in Trump's inner circle.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-10

Did read where transition dude for EPA is a climate change denier.... David Duke to head Equal Opportunity and civil rights position? Those around Trump are what scares me. And he won't really care as long as they don't take light off of him.

3 hours ago, tifino said:

... and do not use your private server (unless she's a pretty) 

I hope none of them have experience in Washington.  Experience there means you are part of the mob that has been running this country for many years.  I would rather have a carpenter making decisions than most of these lawyers and career politicians.

5 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Did read where transition dude for EPA is a climate change denier.... David Duke to head Equal Opportunity and civil rights position? Those around Trump are what scares me. And he won't really care as long as they don't take light off of him.

The first test will be over Giuliani ....if he tries to appoint him to a role of substance, as opposed to throwing a loyal old dog a tasty but insignificant bone, it will be a real danger sign.

5 hours ago, Emster23 said:

yes, He already knows everything better than anyone else, so his government might be like matriochka : he is the giant, after come dwarfs.

Edited by Opl

You may or may not like his choices of appointees but there is no doubt he will get the job done. Trump worked very hard during the campaign and has more energy and stamina than most people. He has experience delegating roles in a corporate environment and this will not be that hard for him. 

Don't forget he also has a career politician as the VP. He will as he has said before use his advisors to help him. 

On 10/11/2016 at 10:59 PM, anotheruser said:

You may or may not like his choices of appointees but there is no doubt he will get the job done. Trump worked very hard during the campaign and has more energy and stamina than most people. He has experience delegating roles in a corporate environment and this will not be that hard for him. 

Don't forget he also has a career politician as the VP. He will as he has said before use his advisors to help him. 

Do the majority of Americans really desire the erosion of separation of State & Religion in the legislative agenda?

Pence himself implied at the vice presidential debate, he believes it his “calling” to legislate his religious views into public policy. Pence is a climate change denier & promulgates anti evolution theory and "reducing" Roe versus Wade among other extreme right Christian ideological platforms.

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Do the majority of Americans really desire the erosion of separation of State & Religion in the legislative agenda?

Pence himself implied at the vice presidential debate, he believes it his “calling” to legislate his religious views into public policy. Pence is a climate change denier & promulgates anti evolution theory and "reducing" Roe versus Wade among other extreme right Christian ideological platforms.

I am pretty certain on this one but the VP does not create policy.

In fact, the VP is seldom heard from again after the swearing in. 

(But I have seen news releases that hillary rioters are calling for Trump to be assasinated and so they might want to rethink that one since it will leave Pence in charge.)

I do not see the erosion of church and state that you are seeing. 

But I strongly support the separation of church and state.

I am hazarding a guess that Trump does as well. 

Why are democrats creating all these boogeymen to haunt their dreams? Wouldn't it be better to wait and see rather than get all anxious about a bunch of unknowns right now?

Does anyone see a time when calmer heads will prevail in the hillary camp?

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

In fact, the VP is seldom heard from again after the swearing in. 

(But I have seen news releases that hillary rioters are calling for Trump to be assasinated and so they might want to rethink that one since it will leave Pence in charge.)

I do not see the erosion of church and state that you are seeing. 

But I strongly support the separation of church and state.

I am hazarding a guess that Trump does as well. 

Why are democrats creating all these boogeymen to haunt their dreams? Wouldn't it be better to wait and see rather than get all anxious about a bunch of unknowns right now?

Does anyone see a time when calmer heads will prevail in the hillary camp?

As you correctly say have to wait & see if the Trump Administration puts the legislation in place for the policies which he repeatedly  proposed during the election process, though I find it bizarre that within days, if not hours, he is diluting his policies. How his current softer approach will resonate with his core support base will be 'interesting'

HC & others have clearly stated that her support base should accept the election outcome which the rioters are obviously ignoring. I would guess the rioters are anarchists, the extreme left or just people who enjoy the opportunity for violence.

18 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I would guess the rioters are anarchists, the extreme left or just people who enjoy the opportunity for violence.

A lot are brainwashed students. I saw a demonstration today on State Street. They were screaming at young families shopping downtown and calling them "Republicans".

4 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

was just thinking . this will be the first time in history were a white  billionair moves into public housing after a black family moves out .:w00t: 

I saw a cartoon yesterday that said "Trump moves black family out of their home".

25 minutes ago, simple1 said:

As you correctly say have to wait & see if the Trump Administration puts the legislation in place for the policies which he repeatedly  proposed during the election process, though I find it bizarre that within days, if not hours, he is diluting his policies. How his current softer approach will resonate with his core support base will be 'interesting'

HC & others have clearly stated that her support base should accept the election outcome which the rioters are obviously ignoring. I would guess the rioters are anarchists, the extreme left or just people who enjoy the opportunity for violence.

I don't expect Trump to pander to his core support base now. 

As he stated, his goal is to be there for ALL Americans.

That was obamas problem--he left a very large demographic of Americans ignored and disenfranchised. That is failed leadership.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Seems he might be just another politician.  Already backing away from his campaign promises.  Not necessarily a bad thing:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/12/politics/donald-trump-campaign-promises/index.html

Wonderful example of the biased reporting from CNN this entire election cycle when the headline reads: 

"Is Donald Trump already walking away from campaign promises?"

Had it been about hillary it would be, 

"Hillary already showing compassion for the other side even though they are a bunch of angry, racist, hate-filled bigots".

The days of simply reporting the news are history.

Edited by ClutchClark

4 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I don't expect Trump to pander to his core support base now. 

As he stated, his goal is to be there for ALL Americans.

That was obamas problem--he left a very large demographic of Americans ignored and disenfranchised. That is failed leadership.

And if Trump doesn't fulfill his commitments for his base will that not leave very large demographic of Americans ignored and disenfranchised. The 'clear out the swamp' looks as though it's being turned upside down with the current list of establishment (business and political) figures being considered.

8 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Wonderful example of the biased reporting from CNN this entire election cycle when the headline reads: 

"Is Donald Trump already walking away from campaign promises?"

Had it been about hillary it would be, 

"Hillary already showing compassion for the other side even though they are a bunch of angry, racist, hate-filled bigots".

The days of simply reporting the news are history.

How about these:

http://www.drudge.com/news/205359/trump-already-breaking-campaign-promises

http://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2016/11/09/trump-already-set-to-break-promises-to-his-supporters/

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

And if Trump doesn't fulfill his commitments for his base will that not leave very large demographic of Americans ignored and disenfranchised. The 'clear out the swamp' looks as though it's being turned upside down with the current list of establishment (business and political) figures being considered.

He'll be crushed if he breaks his campaign promises.  Some 50% of those who voted for him didn't like him.  They hated Hillary more! LOL

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-promises-idUSKBN1362AC

Supporters to Trump: break campaign promises at your peril

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Unlike liberal democrats, Republicans are not used to or expect to have our own way on everything now that our candidate WON. Ofcourse, Trump is not going to completely ignore his base but he is not expected to cater only to it. 

Certainly you understand the difference.

ofcourse Trump is going to surround himself with experienced leadership. Trump is not a career politician and will need to rely on the counsel of those that know how to succeed on the floor of the Senate like Trump has spent a lifetime doing in the boardroom.

It goes to show how unreasonable the hillary crowd is when they are hateful of Trump for his inclusiveness. Is it just sour grapes that he might succeed where obama could not?

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

He doesn't have to 'create' it. Just 'advise' Trump what need to be done. Pence will be more influential than Cheney ever was. Trump has zero experience in public office and has no idea how to create a policy, evrything  Trump does will be delegated.

Edited by Rob13

5 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

He doesn't have to 'create' it. Just 'advise' Trump what need to be done. Pence will be more influential than Cheney ever was. Trump has zero experience in public office and has no idea how to create a policy, evrything  Trump does will be delegated.

What?

Cheney was not just influential--he led GWB around on puppet strings.

It was actually a Cheney/Rumsfeld Administration. GWB was just someone they would dress in costumes and use for photo ops.

Pence will disappear into the background as a good VP should.

22 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Unlike liberal democrats, Republicans are not used to or expect to have our own way on everything now that our candidate WON. Ofcourse, Trump is not going to completely ignore his base but he is not expected to cater only to it. 

Certainly you understand the difference.

ofcourse Trump is going to surround himself with experienced leadership. Trump is not a career politician and will need to rely on the counsel of those that know how to succeed on the floor of the Senate like Trump has spent a lifetime doing in the boardroom.

It goes to show how unreasonable the hillary crowd is when they are hateful of Trump for his inclusiveness. Is it just sour grapes that he might succeed where obama could not?

I have to admit I didn't follow the pre-election rants, but those who voted for Trump did so because they thought he would do what he said.  Unlike "normal" politicians.  Right?

Breaking his promises will hurt him big time. 

Your tirades towards Hillary supporters is not needed now.  Time to work together.

Well OK the Trump supporters have been saying since at least Trump received the Republican nomination about what Trump is going to do and it it seems now they are saying that it makes no difference that Trump doesn't know how to do what Trump wants to do as others will be doing it for him.

BTW probably the greatest pick for VP in terms of getting an agenda through Congress is when JFK picked LBJ to be his VP.

26 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Cheney was not just influential--he led GWB around on puppet strings.

And Trump will delegate major decisions to Pence. Making Pence a kind of de facto president.