‘I had to take the chance’: voters say only Trump understood

webfact

‘I had to take the chance’: voters say only Trump understood

Seamus Kearney

606x341_349179.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- As Republican celebrations continue in the US, analysts are attempting to understand how the electoral landscape has changed.

In the past Ohio, Minnesota and Iowa, for example, have been big Democrat domains, but not this time.

One resident of Pike County in Ohio, John Osbron, told reporters: “Pike County is a small, rural, southern town in Ohio, and we are hurting with industry, we’re hurting with jobs and morale is very low. So for me, I had to take the chance.”

The same reversals in Democrat fortunes were seen in key battleground states Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Jim Zaleski, a resident of St. Joseph in Michigan, said: “This last eight years hasn’t been much of a hallmark for me. But I like what Mr. Trump said.

“I believe in a strong America. I believe in a strong military. And everybody’s yearning for changes right now. And I am one of them.”

These are areas where President Obama previously scored well, but that support for the Democrats dropped away.

Darrell West, a political scientist at the Brookings Institution, said: “There are many people who feel like they’ve been left behind in the contemporary economy. You know, people who lost manufacturing jobs, people who are unhappy with the trade deals.

“(These are) white people living in rural areas that have not experienced the same level of prosperity that we’ve seen on the East Coast and the West Coast.”

“Trump effectively was able to pull those people together and basically say: ‘I understand what your experience is.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-11

Bizarre that the same white people that voted Obama in to power in the last two elections in the swing states,

Are now labelled as racist because they swung behind Trump.

They are not racist.

They just want a job. A steady life - not having to worry that at any minute they'll be told to be quiet as they listen to the announcement their jobs are going to Mexico.   Watch this video to find out why Trump won.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Well he knows how to make money.

So, you, as almost all Americans, know nothing about Trump's actual wealth.  He inherited a large amount of money.   He bankrupted numerous corporations he controlled and essentially cheated thousands of hard-working people and small companies out of money they had earned, while his inherited fortune dwindled.  His actual current net worth is about the same as the money he inherited.  He has not grown his stake.  He has enormous debt which he tries to eliminate through misuse of the judicial process.  He is frequently sued for not paying contractors.  He is not a billionaire, but really is only worth the millions he received as a hand-out.

Up until his dad died papa was underwriting all his loans.  I did not learn this from the media.

He has a shit list of people he is going to "get even with" for not underwriting his loans.  If he is so rich, why all this loan trouble?

BTW, this just in: his twitter account has been unlocked.  Great entertainment.

10 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

So, you, as almost all Americans, know nothing about Trump's actual wealth.  He inherited a large amount of money.   He bankrupted numerous corporations he controlled and essentially cheated thousands of hard-working people and small companies out of money they had earned, while his inherited fortune dwindled.  His actual current net worth is about the same as the money he inherited.  He has not grown his stake.  He has enormous debt which he tries to eliminate through misuse of the judicial process.  He is frequently sued for not paying contractors.  He is not a billionaire, but really is only worth the millions he received as a hand-out.

Sounds familiar. Is it possible that he is related to Mr. T who used to run Thailand ? 

I don't think you can prove this though. Even if it's true I think it's good he still has his original investment, he could have lost the lot in the 2008 global crisis as millions did

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, hanssna said:

Sounds familiar. Is it possible that he is related to Mr. T who used to run Thailand ? 

The man you mention is much much smarter.  Like him or not, he is self-made and very wealthy.  I wonder if he looks at Donald with envy.

Stupidity, a great force in the world.

A man who is proud that he has never contributed any tax money to his country. A man who has reneged on debts over and over. A man who has a reputation for shafting the little guy.

Good luck America, I just hope the new president doesn't treat you and the rest of the world the same way.

"Barack Obama will go down as the worst President ever"..... then yesterday in the WH "He's a very good man". You call Clinton untrustworthy, I don't like her personally by the way, yet he's exactly the same.......flip flop, flip flop.....hmm......

Only Trump SAID he understood, but did he really?

Edited by freebyrd

2 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

you have obviously misunderstood my post, oh and i am NOT American

9 hours ago, phrodan said:

Bizarre that the same white people that voted Obama in to power in the last two elections in the swing states,

Are now labelled as racist because they swung behind Trump.

They are not racist.

They just want a job. A steady life - not having to worry that at any minute they'll be told to be quiet as they listen to the announcement their jobs are going to Mexico.   Watch this video to find out why Trump won.

The Democratic Party was the party of the unions and the "workingman."  (Yes, that really should be a gender-neutral word, but that's another issue.)  I think that the new Democratic Party has either been taking their votes for granted or has even turned their backs on them.  Even though I do not see Donald Trump as the answer, I can understand their anger and frustration. 

I have read in a few places that the Clinton campaign neglected the rust belt areas in Pennsylvania and Michigan as well as Wisconsin, which has been voting Democratic in presidential elections since 1984.  Instead, as we now know, they voted for Trump.  You would think that Sanders' surprise victory in Michigan would have been a wake-up call.  

I too can understand the anger but life isn't fair, choosing deceit over neglect cant be the answer, Trump, like Brexit, was caused by angry emotions. The world has changed,people in emerging markets don't want care packets they want a piece of the pie,there would possibly be enough to go round if some of the pie was taken from the super rich. Trump is a billionaire, where do you think his sympathies will lie.  

People vote according to their pocketbook and don't give a sh!t about issues the  well off  can indulge in with ideological voting like women's issues, global warming etc. No party can ever hope to get into power promising to raise taxes. The Dems who were convinced they would win (also exemplified on TVF) ignored fundamentals in their arrogance. Som nam naa

Those old rust belt industry jobs are never coming back. trump conned them into believing they could. He doesn't really care about the little people. He USED to get elected just like he has exploited and cheated people all his adult life. 

Those radical trade changes are not going to happen either. If he tried Wall Street would crash and it would be 1929 all over again. Those salt of the earth types wouldn't be able to afford to shop at even Walmart anymore either ... not to mention the Walmart jobs ... crap jobs but better than nothing.

Con man being a con man. Even before he takes office I reckon a huge portion of even his voters already realize they've  been conned. (Because of the widespread announcements on a number of key issues to the effect of ... didn't really mean it  ... it was SALES).

Tragic situation.

When can we get the impeachment going? 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

Those old rust belt industry jobs are never coming back. trump conned them into believing they could. He doesn't really care about the little people. He USED to get elected just like he has exploited and cheated people all his adult life. 

Atleast Trump acknowledges this entire group of Americans exists. 

That is far more than obama ever did in his 8 years. 

But it is obviously sour-grapes to already hate Trump for failing on this campaign promise only two days after his landslide victory in the EC. President-elect Trump is not even sworn in to the office of POTUS for a couple months. 

Can you please sheath your dagger?

On 11/10/2016 at 9:12 PM, freebyrd said:

A man who is proud that he has never contributed any tax money to his country. 

This is about as accurate as the rest of your post. Trump has paid LOTS of taxes and that includes some Federal ones.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/may/24/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-claim-about-donald-trump-paying-no/

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

This is about as accurate as the rest of your post. Trump has paid LOTS of taxes and that includes some Federal ones.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/may/24/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-claim-about-donald-trump-paying-no/

I suppose you always take everything literally. 'Some' federal one's? Nothing like Buffet I would think and no, I'm not going to trawl the net looking for information. He is a despicable person and nothing will change my opinion. For what its worth Clinton is also awful. A sad indictment for your often strange country that these two are the best you could come up with.

I do hope he is successful as unfortunately your presidents actions and decisions affect all nationalities around the world and I'm not a 'USA USA USA!' citizen.

This will be my last comment to you as I don't pee into the wind and it's glaringly obvious that we will always be poles apart regarding anything about this creature Trump.

Good luck with your country's future but beware what you wish for......

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

You made a very inaccurate claim and I called you on it and proved you wrong. Do not shoot the messenger.

As Trump himself has done many times over, but in your eyes he can do no wrong

Like your American idol, you never know when to stop. Good luck with USA USA USA........

Edited by freebyrd

5 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

No apology for posting complete nonsense and getting caught at it?

'Getting caught', what are you the perfect police? Perhaps you should research further and adjust your selective memory to remind yourself of how many untruths your clown has uttered in the past 15 months before you start being condescending with me.