Sterilization Of Stray Dogs In Pattaya

pumpuiman

OMG! I just read the link you provided & laughed out loud! It was so far from the truth it is hilarious! For a start HH is nowhere near stray free. The temples, streets & beaches have as many strays as anywhere else in LoS. Tourist areas are periodically cleared, but that's it! As for the description of the shelter, also not factual. Obviously, you reported this in good faith, but I can assure you, this article is not indicative of how things truly stand here at the moment...

Thanks for the feedback on whats happening in Hua Hin, thought the article sounded a bit to good :o

Anyway, I still believe in the approach they took. The main problem, as allways in Thailand, is that the concept of maintenance and follow-up do not exist here.

You can never fix this problem over night, it will take a few years and requires total dedication to the solution. Give it a moments rest and the dogs will have multiplied and you are back to status quo.

Agreed. It is a mark of the level that some parts of society exist in this country. Education into the benefits is a good idea, but who will you educate?

If somebody spends 10hours a day cooking on a stall, they're not bothered with being 'educated' about an idea that some see as a hinderance, but that person may see as a benefit; refuse disposal, pest control, personal protection. A primitive interdependance with feral dogs. Lift society as a whole and this 'problem' will eradicate itself.

With regard to the OP , canine roamers in Pattaya ,

has this had any effect on Britmaveric ?

I'm sure he's undeterred by ladyboys with razor-sharp

nails and studded handbags. Ditto venomous BiB's with

a Dirty Harry complex.

However I cannot help but think the risk of losing his

nuts might keep even him off the streets.

Anyone seen him out and about lately ?

:o

with regard to the Thai's and strays .............

Buddhism , reincarnation ..................

Thais kill and eat just about anything from bugs to beef and as far as I know dogs have no special standing in the Buddist faith so I don't thik this is the problem.

Even one of the biggest anti violence humanists, Ghandi, said following about stray dogs about 80 years ago:

“A roving dog without an owner is a danger to society and a swarm of them is a menace to its very existence…. If we want to keep dogs in towns or villages in a decent manner no dog should be suffered to wander. There should be no stray dogs even as we have no stray cattle…. But can we take individual charge of these roving dogs? Can we have a pinjrapole for them? If both these things are impossible then there seems to me no alternative except to kill them.”

This is what I mean with educating people. Maybe even the Wat's can help with this as religion has such a big influence here but I have no knowledge or experience in how that would work.

Thais kill and eat just about anything from bugs to beef and as far as I know dogs have no special standing in the Buddist faith so I don't thik this is the problem.

more the thought that the animal in question may be the reincarnation of ...................

with regard to the Thai's and strays .............

Buddhism , reincarnation ..................

Lets rephrase this, "Some Thais will kill and eat just about anything, from bugs to beef."

Your assumption that all Thais across all regions are like this is false.

And I doubt it has anything to do with reincarnation.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, what can be done to help alleviate the stray dog population? Has anyone tried contacting the city govt with an offer to help organize something?

I don't mind the bucket truck so much. I do have a problem with the dog farms. They raise these little light colored dogs for just food. The dogs are all about the same size and are put in cages and hauled across the border. It appears that the little yellow young dogs are considered the most delicious. I doubt that these little dogs are more than 20 pounds in weight. I was told that Bangkok dogs are considered dirty and that only the up country dogs are fit to eat.

Rats are also a food source. Rice rats are considered delicious but city rats are not fit to eat.

Stop, your making me hungry..

Please take the time to read the original post, or do a little research, you will come to find why that wont work. It has been tried, and failed. Sterilization has been proven efffective.

I read the post and I have to disagree.

The dogs have to be captured to be sterilized.Once they are captured the can be killed.Once they are killed they are no longer a nuisance or a health hazard.The money earmarked to make mules out of stray dogs can used to capture and kill more dogs.

I've done the math and my calculations show that dead dogs bite less adults and children than fixed dogs.

Also dead dog are considerably less likely to spread diseases such as rabies.

You are obviously a compassionate person who wants to help animals and I congradulate your good intentions.

I just think that a country like Thailand would be better off using it's limited resources taking care of it's human beings

(children in particular).

-texpat

Edited by texpatriate