Video: Child, 4, knocked down - woman lies to bystanders then flees the scene

webfact

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

He's 4 years old <deleted>....at that age they have no perception of cars/accidents. having said that, kids need to always be supervised when near roads. The driver should have stopped and rendered assistance. NO hopefully their face will be all over the internet for being an Ass****. 

How is the boy? Any reports?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A complete set of things going wrong, an illegally parked car, a careless child, a driver who wasn't at fault but disappeared as per usual and unfortunate but hardly surprising comments from the child's father who only sounded interested in one thing.

The parked car is most certainly contributory and it doesn't matter the child may still have rushed out.

Road users here regard every inch of space as theirs and like everyone else I can find it all but impossible to walk a straight line on a pavement due to parked vehicles all of kinds. What's especially infuriating is to be honked and waved at to get out of the way so they can drive on or park where they want.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

If this child is so wild and stupid his dad shouldn't let him go out alone. Maybe the carowner will send the bill of the cardamage to the dad.

Now you are there again making a fool out of yourself. Some people are appearantly professionals in that area.

As all other people know is that childs are unpredictable, and also doesn´t think many times. That´s a part of growning up and have almost never anything to do with stupid and wild. Can be bad parenting
Whats wrong here is simply that an accident happened to quick in a weather that makes it even worse to see. This had been easy fixed if the driver stopped, call it in and drove the boy to hospital.

Now the driver is going to be automatically wrong, and that is something that goes in all countries. Not a specific thing for Thailand like many people like to say.

There is as all other people except you understand, I sincerely hope, not any possibility for a claim regarding damage on the car that can be filed. That´s just a stupid thing to say.

3 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

"In the crown of bystanders was a woman who blamed a green vehicle for the accident".

I assume that the woman was speaking Thai.
In Thai language, the words for green and white are very similar and can be easily misunderstood in a situation like this.

"See kiaw" = green
"See kaw" = white

For people that know, understand and speak Thai, those colors are not even remotely close.

14 minutes ago, TSF said:

I remember as a little boy my parents training me with road saftey...."Look to the left, look to the right, then look to the left again, if it's clear cross the road."

Also I remember when I was in primary school the police attended our school often, about 2 or 3 times a year, and held road safety lectures, showed us films and impressed good safety practices into us.

And you just take for granted that Thai people just don´t teach their children about the dangers in the streets and traffic. How come?

This case is clearly about a boy that do something in the moment, and just like other children don´t think at the time. It´s called an accident.

You must love this country very much, but appearently have a great disrespect for the Thai population.

The past government who didn't provide proper zoning so that the owner of the shop could provide proper parking which instead made the owner of the car park curbside blocking the view of both the boy and approaching car from sight of each other should be blamed. Or, the brand of the shoes which made the boy run faster should be blamed. Or the school for letting the boy out too early.

Any which way, let's hope for a speedy recovery for the boy and may the driver of the car come clean. After all, it was just an accident.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The father of the boy said that if the driver had owned up straight away he would not have asked them for anything.

Hmm really. Sounds like the word found money comes into play. Not to condone what the driver did she is in the wrong for sure. One wonders what thoughts went through the woman's mind at the time. There are so many instances where drivers lie in accidents. Is it the path of least resistance to them being a bit pacifist in nature or is it the fact that wonder if they are indeed good citizens will the BIB and the justice system give them a free shake and not a shake down. 

................Police are hunting for the hit and run driver and want to make an example of her....................

Because she was in a pick up truck. Now, if that was a Ferrari, Merc or one of Jenphob's inbred pigeon-toed relatives,........................you get the picture.:saai:

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Ran across the road, from behind a parked car...

His parents should be the ones being charged for poor parenting!

The kid is 4 years old !!  He was with his brother( ( 9 yrs).  I'm sure every kid in the world has done this.

Parenting had nothing to do with this accident. You are wrong.

Ok from watching the video, yes the boy was totally to blame for running out into the road, alas most kids do at some point in time

some don't live to tell the tale.

The driver had virtually no time to react due to being blinded by the parked car, but should have stopped to give assistance, but as we all know in Thailand it's better to flea the scene rather than risk being a victim of instant karma by witnesses or family.

What is a mystery is why she initially stopped, became a bystander and then gave a false vehicle description, why didn't she just keep going, possibly she did stop but then saw the extent of the injuries & panicked?

Not to detract from the main post which is an all too familiar occurrence:

Quote:

The boy - Khanat Piakaew - is recovering in hospital in Nakorn Pathom east of Bangkok.

Unless Nakhon Pathom has been secretly relocated overnight without anyone's knowledge it is actually west of BKK

I understand Thai's have problems with geography on a global scale but this is inside Thailand!

The driver was not at fault,initially .When you leave the scene how can you prove you are insured,are sober or even have a

driving license?Telling a lie and leave???

If she was scared to be beaten by a mob she could have stopped at the next police box.

You can not blame a four year old child for what happened,just watch the video and see how full of life and excited he is.

57 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.Just wait and see.

This is not a murder case with the lack of proof. Here there is a video and that´s for me what meets the eye.
I just don´t get what you mean, maybe I missed something.

5 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

All the instruction and testing in the world won't overcome the urge to run which seems to be ingrained in road users here.

I guess some are scared of rough justice by a mob; some so mean they want to avoid paying anything; some not insured etc.

Add that to the common denial of responsibility and accountability and not wanting to loose face. Plus the "I'm too important to be bothered with such things and besides I was going shopping or whatever" mentality. 

Bingo. 

Few weeks ago we parked in a row of cars at local noodle shop. Saw a young lady, in student uniform, go to the car next to ours, reverse out so far, then go forward and straighten up, then reverse again and drive off quickly. We all got into the car on the drivers side. (Son is disabled so wife went in back with him). When we got home we saw the lovely scratch where she turned to early and scraped our car on her first attempt at reversing. Absolutely no intention what so ever to own up, even though she saw us park and knew which table we were sitting. This was minor compared to hitting a child so can imagine that woman disappeared quickly. Anything to avoid responsibility.

In my honest opinion, this is not the fault of the driver. The only fault on the driver's part is the vehicle speed for taking precaution that there was always a possibility whether a human or animal might ran across this small road. Next, the government should put a ban for such parking method!

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

I guess some are scared of rough justice by a mob; some so mean they want to avoid paying anything ...'

Everything possible in LoS. But if the boy ran in front of the car, which he was seen to do, then the driver's only responsibility would be their speed at the time.

For friggs sake he is a 4-year-old boy ....not a Ph D student in road safety. He lost his concentration for a second in the fun of the moment.

If any of the posters who blame the parents have had kids then they should darn well know you cannot, just cannot, be 100% sure all your words, lectures and warnings about traffic will, every single time, be taken on board.

17 minutes ago, sandgroper2 said:

Thats just it, the video.Opens up a whole new can of worms.

There is just no can of worms here. This is what is on the table:

A car parked wrong or very careless.
A boy running out in the street to quick in the heat of the moment.
Rain that makes everything harder.
A driver in a car that hits the boy , but had no chance to avoid it.
Wrong of the driver to drive away from the scene, and also assumed to lie about what happened.

Where is all the worms?

7 hours ago, smedly said:

these things happen

The issue is that the person driving the vehicle not only tried to lie about what had happened but also fled the scene - the accident was clearly not her fault unless she was speeding which does not seem to be the case

She may have been scared for her own life. Obviously she did stop and saw that people were attending to the child.  People get beat to death here for stuff like that. Also no matter who's at fault they want the drivers money.  I hope she is OK and turns herself in. I hope the boy survives.