Uncollected krathongs are suspected to cause mass fish dead in pond

snoop1130

Uncollected krathongs are suspected to cause mass fish dead in pond

516_Fish.jpg

Many carp fish in a pond in front of Por Khun Ngum Muang statue in Phayao province have died and floated on the surface of the water of suspected water pollution caused by rotten krathongs.

On the night of Loy Krathong day on Monday, many people floated their krathongs in the pond and they were left uncollected by municipal officials until the krathongs which were made of bread and banana trunk had rotted.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/uncollected-krathongs-are-suspected-to-cause-mass-fish-dead-in-pond/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 201-11-17

Every year the press headlines say that Loy Krathong is now mostly using "Environmentally friendly" Krathongs. The truth is that environmentally friendly materials demand oxygen to allow bacteria to digest them. This takes oxygen from the water and suffocates the fish. Therefore will they please stop using the words "Environmentally friendly" to encourage people to use Krathongs of natural materials.

Thai people often ask me: "Where will you go for Loy Kratong?' To which I reply: "Nowhere. I'll stay at home". Often, they're shocked I don't celebrate it. Hey, if you wanna celebrate, god bless, ya. I simply don't care. 

I would rather respect 'water' everyday of the year. You know, don't waste it, etc. I certainly don't feel the need to throw a load of c*** in it once a year and wish for more money, etc. 

If you wanna do something nice, then do it. Really, I implore you to do so. But you don't have to show the world. Just do it and expect nothing in return other than that nice feeling you get inside. 

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

Every year the press headlines say that Loy Krathong is now mostly using "Environmentally friendly" Krathongs. The truth is that environmentally friendly materials demand oxygen to allow bacteria to digest them. This takes oxygen from the water and suffocates the fish. Therefore will they please stop using the words "Environmentally friendly" to encourage people to use Krathongs of natural materials.

Yes much better to use plastic; which will last for 100 + years.

Thanks for your suggestion.

1 hour ago, biplanebluey said:

environmentally friendly plastic of course.

Not a bad idea.  Environmentally friendly plastic = plastic that people can collect and sell to be used over and over again. 

Is the transient nature of the floats part of the deal, or could they make re-usable floats that could be collected, cleaned up and resold for the next year?