Gigantic rats roam free on fish display at Bangkok market

snoop1130

Gigantic rats roam free on fish display at Bangkok market

By Coconuts Bangkok

new.png

A video of at least three huge rats hanging out on a fish display at Huai Kwang Market shocked and disgusted those who fancied fried gourami.

The video, which was passed around on the LINE application, has raised discussions on the standard of hygiene at fresh markets.

It was shared with the description: “Rats on a fish stall! I don’t know which organization is responsible for this. There should be some measures to deal with this because vendors cannot possibly throw away all the fish from their stall. He probably threw away only the ones that the rats had gnawed. Still, the rats must have brought germs, filth, and hygiene concern.”

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/11/21/gigantic-rats-roam-free-fish-display-bangkok-market-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-11-21

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what a joke, the vendor may face legal charges(probably depends on the size of the cake box), just another example of the lack of hygiene/health restrictions in Thailand, rats, flies, dirty cutting boards/tools/ hands, not keeping meats/fish cold etc, it will never change until the laws are enforced.

1 hour ago, getreal said:

it is all good for the immune system.

the thai immune system is much stronger than the weak gutted, allergic to everything farang.

That's the kind of tripe old people say. Thais are not immune to leptospirosis, et al.

If anything, the person that posted the video will get prosecuted for damaging the reputation of the country.

1 minute ago, seajae said:

what a joke, the vendor may face legal charges(probably depends on the size of the cake box), just another example of the lack of hygiene/health restrictions in Thailand, rats, flies, dirty cutting boards/tools/ hands, not keeping meats/fish cold etc, it will never change until the laws are enforced.

It will only change when a serious disease breaks out and many people get killed.

I often go to a hi-so market where everything costs double. There's one vendor who first chases the rats out of his desk before he starts vending. 5-10 big rats i saw coming out, running all over the market, nobody cared though, happens every day.

This market the rich go shopping, i mean chirurgians and so from the top hospitals. People also sit there to eat, there's fresh meat/fish/bakery.

11 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

That's the kind of tripe old people say. Thais are not immune to leptospirosis, et al.

If anything, the person that posted the video will get prosecuted for damaging the reputation of the country.

No i am right.

Google is your friend.

You should listen to your elders.

I dont think there will be a prosecution for posting the video, that is the kind of tripe TVposters say.

16 minutes ago, seajae said:

Even changes in the laws would not stop those rats and cockroaches. They are constantly fed food scraps dumped into storm drains by roadside food vendors...

Once was walking beach rd pattaya with girl in toe.....on seeing the rats she made the remark "the rats in pattaya/bangkok

not same rats up-country.....not taste so good".All i said in reply was 'i'll take your word for it".In my own mind, i'm

thinking things would have to get 'rambo' like for me to try one.....I'd turn to trees first!:smile:

3 hours ago, getreal said:

the thai immune system is much stronger than the weak gutted, allergic to everything farang.

Lol. Probably the opposite with all the antis they swallow... 

Now, if it's cooked properly it's not the end of the world. 

Once was walking beach rd pattaya with girl in toe.....on seeing the rats she made the remark "the rats in pattaya/bangkok
not same rats up-country.....not taste so good".All i said in reply was 'i'll take your word for it".In my own mind, i'm
thinking things would have to get 'rambo' like for me to try one.....I'd turn to trees first![emoji2]

Did you tongue kiss her? Rabies shot maybe in order..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nasrullah said:

thinking things would have to get 'rambo' like for me to try one.....I'd turn to trees first!:smile:

9 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Did you tongue kiss her? Rabies shot maybe in order..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Ohh....a while ago!......maybe too late for that:sleepy:

Food court at the Tesco in Nong Khai:  in one of those little glass boxes where the cooked chicken is hanging a family of cockroaches was frolicking in the lettuce garnish in the front corner.  The girl behind the counter saw me looking at them, just gave a nervous smile and was waiting for me to place my order.  Maybe they were breeding the roaches to serve as an entre?

10 hours ago, getreal said:

is  that  why  Thai  average lifespan  is only  about  75 instead  of  almost  81+  for farlangs?

Edited by kannot

50 minutes ago, BSJ said:

The boys in the village tell me BBQ rat is quite tasty!    But they also eat Som Tam.........

If you too reside in the village" with the boys, I suggest you try some grilled rat. It's a bit like chicken and the rats are rice field rats and not Bangkok style sewer and garbage rats. Don't forget the som tam.