Can I travel on a 'lost' U.S. passport?

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

This guy sounds like a troll  but for the sake of everyone reading this If you had an armed robber and you have a police report the Ebassy will help you out 

with a new passport if you  give them a copy of the police report

Sounds fishy your story 

Not fishy just not ready to leave mom and dad yet. Did not guaduate from common sense school. Reminds me of a lot of foreigners getting involved with bar girls in Thailand.

• Like 2

Or maybe you actually sold it on the black market and are writing this post to show the police you are seeking a remedy to the situation that you created in an effort to get a new one and make some unethical quick cash for some continued R & R.

You have the original lost passport, the replacement was stolen, you got another replacement to fly here, and where is that one? Have you reported that you lost it also, have you reported that you found the original? If it were up to me I would arrest you and waterboard you for the truth.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2559 at 3:57 AM, fekman said:

Yes, although I told them it was lost as I imagine them requiring police reports etc. "Lost" is more simple. My roomate and I interrupted the invasion. We came home and went to put the key in the security gate and realized its cut. Two seconds later, a guy put a gun on us. He was waiting in the car while the other two were inside the apt complex robbing others. He directed us into the courtyard and put us face down with others. Some dude put a shotgun to my head. We thought we were dead. This was a friday 5pm. The building owner called police and a car came out for a few minutes after they left. That cop gave us a business card to call the Investigative unit. That unit told us to come in on Monday, they were busy!! After complaining, finally they sent a detective out at midnight and he dusted for prints for 10 mins and left.............

My lazy ass had just gone to an ATM and withdrew 600usd and left it on the kitchen table, planning to hide it when I got back from the gym.....DOH!! LOL.

This was in Costa Rica. That place is lame. I was only there as I was stuck there for a while with an investment.

I think for the next passport that they give you. You should attach a string to it like when you were a little kid with your mittens :)

Good Luck.

Also you should check your credit. maybe someone steel your info, make credit cards etc.

Don't try it - when you applied for the new passport, you should have reported the pspt number of the lost one - just because you found it, doewsn't mean you can travel on it - it will come up as a 'Cancelled" passport - happened to a Security guard friend of mine, he made all the way to the US from Africa with his lost passport, but they nabbed him at JFK  -  $10,000 fine.  No chance for appeal, had to surrender both passports and pay the fine.     Just sayin..............

4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Don't try it - when you applied for the new passport, you should have reported the pspt number of the lost one - just because you found it, doewsn't mean you can travel on it - it will come up as a 'Cancelled" passport - happened to a Security guard friend of mine, he made all the way to the US from Africa with his lost passport, but they nabbed him at JFK  -  $10,000 fine.  No chance for appeal, had to surrender both passports and pay the fine.     Just sayin..............

Quite right; you're asking for trouble trying to use it at any immigration checkpoint, foreign or U.S.  And when you got the replacement/emergency passport, you also received instructions about what to do with the original/lost passport if it were ever found, which you're totally ignoring (hint:  they did NOT say to try & travel on it!).

You need to work with the consular section at the embassy to work this all out.  Do have copies of the police report with you, but don't expect an easy time of it:  they specifically ask on the application form if you've ever lost a passport before.  So guess what?  Congratulations - you're an outlier.  I'd sort of expect they'll want you to recite for them all the details for all past lost passports and crap like "to the best of my recollection" won't sell well.  They have to provide you with something provided your supporting documentation and ability to answer identity-related questions is in order (proof of citizenship, etc.), but I'm not sure it'll be a standard full-term passport.  You might just get some sort of emergency travel document to get you back to the States, and that's all.

The consular services section in Bangkok will give you "head-of-line' privileges as the victim of a crime.  Search their website - there's info there about it. But head-of-line privileges don't translate to a get-out-of-jail free card with your particularly troubled passport history.  It just means you can get an expedited initial appointment.

• Like 1