Best Way To Stay For 6 Months/1 Year

glenbat

As a few of you will know I'm stuck in UK in a well paid, but frightenenly boring, dull job and see little escape :o

I am seriously considering LOS but am unsure of area, work etc so am wondering the best/easiest way to spend between 6 months and a year in different parts. I like what I read about Isaan, the pace of life etc but what would I do regarding acommodation/renting and visa?

Would it be better to rent a place for my time there, or cheap hotel it? And would the monthly visa run be the easiest way round staying? I wont be on a 'backpackers budget' as I'll be letting my house out in UK to a friend, so work will not be essential but I will want to do something I guess to pass the time. When I say 6 months to a year I mean in each area, for example Isaan for 6-12 months, back to UK for maybe 6 to top up funds, then try somewhere different (If for some very very strange reason I find Isaan not for me?)

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated

glenbat

They are suppose to be only allowing three one month visas in a row for a total of 90 days and then you have to exit the country for 90 days. Your easiest method would be getting a double entry tourist visa which with one 30 day extension will give you five months. Or if you plan on doing business try to get an non-immigrant B visa, but i think you need a letter from a Thai company inviting you to do business to get that. One thing to remember when you are reading about Issan remember we all have Thai wives who are from the area, so not only does that make it easier for us, it means we are not looking for female company. If you were to come here on your own and did not speak Thai it would be a challenge. Although I do know one man from Germany who is here on his own no Thai Lady nor did he ever have one. He is raising pigs and seems to be doing okay and seems to like it, although I do know he is looking for a Thai lady and after over a year has not found one yet. Issangeorge

As a few of you will know I'm stuck in UK in a well paid, but frightenenly boring, dull job and see little escape :o

I am seriously considering LOS but am unsure of area, work etc so am wondering the best/easiest way to spend between 6 months and a year in different parts. I like what I read about Isaan, the pace of life etc but what would I do regarding acommodation/renting and visa?

Would it be better to rent a place for my time there, or cheap hotel it? And would the monthly visa run be the easiest way round staying? I wont be on a 'backpackers budget' as I'll be letting my house out in UK to a friend, so work will not be essential but I will want to do something I guess to pass the time. When I say 6 months to a year I mean in each area, for example Isaan for 6-12 months, back to UK for maybe 6 to top up funds, then try somewhere different (If for some very very strange reason I find Isaan not for me?)

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated

glenbat

LONG LONG POST SELF EDITED!

There are a thousand things I want to say but I will leave it at this. Think don't dream, and take it slow. You have no idea what awaits you and until you put a lot of time in you would be very foolish to comit yourself. A couple of 3 week vacations in Pattaya is not enpough experience to make such a leap.

With regards to a long stay visa the Thai consulate in Hull will do you a 12 month multi entry non immigrant O visa. On the form put down visiting friend or girlfriend and you dont have to provide any evidence whatsoever.

I sent my passport by recorded delivery and got it back with visa 2 days later.

The only downside is you have to step out and back into the country every 90 days to keep it activated.

There are a thousand things I want to say but I will leave it at this. Think don't dream, and take it slow. You have no idea what awaits you and until you put a lot of time in you would be very foolish to comit yourself. A couple of 3 week vacations in Pattaya is not enpough experience to make such a leap.

Hence the amount of time I spend on here, reading on the net and asking all manner of questions that probably get up peoples noses (if not yet I most likely will :o ). Patts was a great holiday, but I'd not fancy it 24/7 no way, which is one reason I'm in these other forums a lot more than in the Pattaya one.

Cheers for your help so far people

Edited by glenbat

I think it all depends on what you want to do with your time in Thailand. Coming to Isaan straight off does not seem the best way.

If I were you, the first long trip in Thailand I would spend looking over the whole country. See the whole lot, and then you can make an informed choice on where you may like to settle for longer periods.

Isaan isn't for everyone, and if you were travelling for the first time here, alone, then you may find things a little harder. English isn't spoken so widespread here, even in the cities.

If you are set on coming to Isaan, then maybe contacting some of the bars that are set up in the area is a good idea, like the Farang Connection in Surin (who are sponsors here).. They would be able to help with accomodation etc.. at least if you go and stay in places like this you will have access to the farang community immediately, and the experience they have could prove helpful.

totster :o

Hence the amount of time I spend on here, reading on the net and asking all manner of questions that probably get up peoples noses (if not yet I most likely will :o ). Patts was a great holiday, but I'd not fancy it 24/7 no way, which is one reason I'm in these other forums a lot more than in the Pattaya one.

Good start but reading is nothing like experiencing. I would suggest starting your Thai familiarization by taking a bus to Chiang Mai. Then up to Chiang Rai. Maybe stop at Phitsanulok for a few days on the way. Get some exposure to places with less of a vacation resort atmosphere. My first stay in a Thai village was interesting but after 3 days I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was just too much to adjust to all at once and this was after I had spent months roaming around on my own.

Getting as much info as you can here and other places is good, just don' box yourself into a corner before you evaluate first hand. Thailand is a wonderful place but it is far from idilic.

Good start but reading is nothing like experiencing. I would suggest starting your Thai familiarization by taking a bus to Chiang Mai. Then up to Chiang Rai. Maybe stop at Phitsanulok for a few days on the way. Get some exposure to places with less of a vacation resort atmosphere. My first stay in a Thai village was interesting but after 3 days I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was just too much to adjust to all at once and this was after I had spent months roaming around on my own.

Getting as much info as you can here and other places is good, just don' box yourself into a corner before you evaluate first hand. Thailand is a wonderful place but it is far from idilic.

Ditto.

Once you get there, buy a cheap secondhand motorbike and putter around and have a look. It's a lot more fun than depending on taxis and friends to show you around. The whole thing is about feeling independent and adventurous about the trip. It's a blast.