Subcommittee to inspect jewelry price will be set up

webfact

Subcommittee to inspect jewelry price will be set up

BANGKOK, 1 December 2016 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister Gen.Tanasak Patimapragorn has instructed jewelry associations to set up a subcommittee to control jewelry price in the hope to help stimulate the Thai tourism. 

The deputy PM said on Wednesday that he had asked jewelry associations, such as the Thai Gem & Jewelry Traders Association, to form the panel to inspect the jewelry business. The subcommittee was part of the government’s policy to develop standards of Thai products and prevent tourists from being taken advantage of by buying overpriced goods, said the deputy PM. 

Meanwhile, Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said the ministry was preparing to promote Thailand as the hub of jewelry shopping with the use of storytelling. This campaign was expected to make tourists spend by 5-10% more while staying in Thailand, said the minister.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-01

I went to 3 large jewelry shops in BKK and frankly they where overcharging in most cases:

The gem stones was lower quality than they charged for

Faulty cuts, unpolished facets and even broken facets in the pavilion

And I did even see pure frauds like gems being lower carats than the tag stated, there are size charts for most types of cuts so that you can estimate the actual weight (carat) a mounted gem stone has!

Even for half price i wouldn't buy thai jewelry. Would rather pay double back in Europe where i can trust the sellers or call the police if they cheated me.

My grandma bought a golden watch in Thailand 30 years ago, now my wife inherited it but she says it's fake.

What goes around comes around.

Edited by fruitman

My Pubcommitte could do a better job.

Now I know who buys all the drugs flooding across the border, they're off their tatas on something!

Can it get any more ridiculous?

Yes it can, more details in tomorrow's headlines.

Street corner shills have been 'promoting gemstones with the use of storytelling' for decades.

Edited by dhream

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, Minister of Tourism and Sports Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said the ministry was preparing to promote Thailand as the hub of jewelry shopping with the use of storytelling. This campaign was expected to make tourists spend by 5-10% more while staying in Thailand, said the minister.

How was this number come to?

And dear lord, no more hubs...

Edited by Bluespunk

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

The government should make sure the jewelry sellers ONLY sell genuine jewels. It's well known around the world that you have to be very carefull when buying gold/gems in Thailand. Did i say very carefull?

As far as I'm concerned genuine, synthetic, or imitation does not matter as long as it's properly identified, labelled, and priced for what it is.

3 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

They should target those large gem/jewellery  shops in Pattaya. The ones that have (used to have?) loads of tour coaches parked outside. 

Yes they do sell genuine gems and jewellery items, but at far higher prices than you can pay in reputable Bangkok shops.

30% more for the Chinese.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

....promote Thailand as the hub of jewelry shopping with the use of storytelling....

Once upon a time (insert beginning here)......a tourist took his teerak jewellery shopping.....(insert land of smiles blah blah here).......(insert happy ending here)...:coffee1: 

Edited by Sphere

56 minutes ago, riceyummm said:

As far as I'm concerned genuine, synthetic, or imitation does not matter as long as it's properly identified, labelled, and priced for what it is.

Exactly, i can show you a video (in forbidden language for this forum) where the reporter went to buy gold/diamonds from a very big thai jewelry shop and was wearing hidden camera's on his body.

Then later in europe he let a jewel expert tell him the value which was much lower than he paid.  So he went back to the shop in BKK (and filmed it all again) and they all acted like they didn't know about it but finally offered to pay him back.

It was on national tv so they can forget about quality tourists coming to thailand to buy gold/diamonds.

Thailand must become the hub of something, what about the hub of "sexy men"??

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Only the TAT lady could come up with this. Tell me a fairy tale TAT lady. There is that word expected again. 

Edited by elgordo38

I bought a diamond ring at a reputable jeweler in the US, broke off engagement and they offered me 1/3 the price back. I took it to other stores and they all offered near the same. Just so you know, you will pay 200% mark up in the US if you beat their price down 20%.  Rule of thumb, never buy jewelry unless you don't care how bad you are getting ripped off. I would buy Thai gold as they show you the buy back price right there on the wall.