Ramathibodi Hospital pioneers robot-assisted neurosurgery

rooster59

Ramathibodi Hospital pioneers robot-assisted neurosurgery

By PUANGCHUMPOO PRASERT 
THE SUNDAY NATION

3e4db030de1cde5a260e3a66552028bb-sld.jpeg

BANGKOK’S Ramathibodi Hospital has become Thailand’s first hospital to conduct robot-assisted neurosurgery, a highly precise method that is considered safer than traditional procedures.

Robot-assisted surgery reportedly reduces the chance of mistakes to less than 1 per cent and shortens the time spent inserting surgical screws from up to two hours to just 20 minutes. 

In a press conference last Tuesday, Dr Piyamitr Sritara, dean of Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine at Ramathibodi Hospital, announced the hospital’s success in utilising robot-assisted neurosurgery for patients suffering from brain, spinal cord, spine or spinal nerve disorders. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301389

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-04

Nice to read a nice news story. A robotic surgeon that tightens up the nuts and bolts and screws.

Makes a change from reading some of the other depressing stories about bashings, robbings and bus crashes.

This is the sort of innovation the country needs to help put victims back together again. Well done!

Well done this is indeed is a great moment for the Thai scientific world , unfortunately Robotics and automation has and will continue to take control of our lives and although inventions like this are commendable autonomous work will put many middle class out of work, in the future, most of the automation is aimed directly at working class jobs, used in this context in the medical or professional field I support, however  where do the workers go for work when their job is automated not everyone can be a computer engineer, in my industry automation started in 1988 .........................................................:coffee1:.

53 minutes ago, George Graham said:

Ramathibodi hospital pioneers robot-assisted neurosurgery.

Surely we should be getting used to these hyperbolic claims by now.

Hyperbolic?

Pioneers they are indeed, the first hospital in the country.

Take your bashing elsewhere. 

25 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

Hyperbolic?

Pioneers they are indeed, the first hospital in the country.

Take your bashing elsewhere. 

In the West they do this for a decade already, nothing new. I bet the robot is from the West as well and maybe there a chirurgian is controlling the robot.

9 minutes ago, George Graham said:

Thai hospital claims to have developed an antibody for the Ebola virus.

There's your homework Johnniey.

Please turn it in by tomorrow.

What are you on about? What does "turn it in" mean? i assume you are not a native English speaker?

Can't you just admit you only read the headline and not the long bits of writing after it?

Thailand used to be 30/40 years behind the West in medicine. This is progress. I wonder why some don't her to progress. It's great to see this hospital being the pioneers of this procedure in Thailand.

9 hours ago, Johnniey said:

What are you on about? What does "turn it in" mean? i assume you are not a native English speaker?

Can't you just admit you only read the headline and not the long bits of writing after it?

Thailand used to be 30/40 years behind the West in medicine. This is progress. I wonder why some don't her to progress. It's great to see this hospital being the pioneers of this procedure in Thailand.

Progress - absolutely. Pioneering - absolutely not.

Just now, George Graham said:

Progress - absolutely. Pioneering - absolutely 

What does "I wonder why some don't her to progress." mean?

"Thailand used to be 30/40 years behind the West in medicine" Thanks for the info, without you the world would not know.

11 hours ago, Johnniey said:

Oh dear, how embarrassing. It's times like this that I value the anonymity of TV membership and the reason why I think twice about revealing any connection with this forum

How about...

Turn your homework in

Turn your assignment in

Considering he was talking about homework, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put it into context, or shall we assume you've never been near a place of learning?

Nominations for forum "thicko of the week" anyone

Edited by grumbleweed

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

Oh please they aren't pioneers in this, it's been around since the mid 90's at least.  What next, lay claim to inventing the wheel? I can't think of a single thing Thailand has pioneered.

If you read the report, they are not  claiming to be the first to use this technique ,but the first in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, grumbleweed said:

Oh dear, how embarrassing. It's times like this that I value the anonymity of TV membership and the reason why I think twice about revealing any connection with this forum

How about...

Turn your homework in

Turn your assignment in

Considering he was talking about homework, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to put it into context, or shall we assume you've never been near a place of learning?

Sarcasm is lost on Americans. 

How to show rudeness and stupidity in one post :cheesy:

19 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Thais sure do like to blow their own horn.

When you're being kicked in the goolies every five minutes for having bad this, no good that etc, it's probably a good thing to blow your own trumpet from time to time.

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

How about...

Turn your homework in

Turn your assignment in

I second this nomination. (Well I would, wouldn't I).

20 hours ago, chainarong said:

Well done this is indeed is a great moment for the Thai scientific world , unfortunately Robotics and automation has and will continue to take control of our lives and although inventions like this are commendable autonomous work will put many middle class out of work, in the future, most of the automation is aimed directly at working class jobs, used in this context in the medical or professional field I support, however  where do the workers go for work when their job is automated not everyone can be a computer engineer, in my industry automation started in 1988 .........................................................:coffee1:.

You seem to address the $64,000 question. Man was made to work not sit on his arse. As only a few brainiacs will be needed what do the rest do for 60 years. They keep telling us of all the wonder opportunities that AI will open up and I call that brain washing bullsh*t. Again the only clear winner is big business.