SURVEY: Do you know anyone who has/is using a fake degree in Thailand?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you know anyone who has/is using a fake degree in Thailand?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:05 PM, DogNo1 said:

In America,  the issue is not fake degrees but low-quality degrees.  My daughter got her BS in psychology without attending a single class. It was all distance learning done in front of her computer.  There were no televised classes.  It was all written work.   She was already working for a social service agency and her degree was actually accepted without question.   They like her work and want her to continue at the agency.   Unfortunately,  most people who get degrees from for-pay colleges can't get work.  I paid for my daughter's degree.  The number of degreed but unemployed people deep in debt is a national scandal.  Bernie Sanders talked about it a lot.   Too bad he didn't win. 

I read articles like this and I really do not know what to say. You don't mention the school because that would be a dead give away. The schools name and 30 seconds of internet time would be s slam dunk.University of Phoenix?, everyone with any sense knows it is an online University and a flake school - Arizona natch.

The problem with  American schools is the cost of education. Those are the reputable ones and that is what Bernie Sanders yelled about on occasions.That is because jobs in those fields are gone or pay peanuts now whereas at one time it was a career. No Univeristy, college and or community college in my state would be in operation if it pulled Dog No 1 tale of woe

DogNo1 makes an interesting point.  What constitutes a fake degree?

1 - A degree bought on Khao San Road.  I'm sure we would all agree that this is nothing more than a fake, by all definitions of the word

2 - A degree based on life experience, and purchased from a diploma mill institution.  Is this a fake degree? Learned academics and politicians can be awarded honorary PhDs without doing any specific research for the awarding institution.

If a life experience degree has been awarded by an institution that can legally call itself a university or college in the territory where it is based, then is this a fake degree?  I'd say not.

If the awardee makes no secret that it is based on life experience, then IMHO it is not a fake degree, but most might consider it a rather worthless degree.  (Though the awardee might be very proud of having gained this qualification through a strong record of life experiences).

If it is used to obtain employment, then where does the onus lie to reveal the requirements of the awarding institution?  Should the awardee make the employer aware that it is a life-experience degree?  Or should the employer do their own due diligence?

3 - Low quality degrees.  Who are we to judge if a course of study is low quality or high quality? I'd say the onus is on the employer to do due diligence if they expect the new employee to use specific knowledge gained during their course of study when they are employed in this new job.

Edited by simon43

46 minutes ago, simon43 said:

DogNo1 makes an interesting point.  What constitutes a fake degree

Dog says his daughter got a 4 year degree without attending a single class

I find this amazing, If his daughter did not know her BS degree was from a "BS university", well she will indeed have a hard time in life

Go figure   :D

Most international schools I know are very thorough about this.  MOE also require original certificate, transcripts, a letter from the uni verifying it, original teaching license, and a police check.  for local Thai schools I bet they let things slide, but for the private international schools things are legit (for the most part).