Best non cattle class to UK?

thai3

What's the best business or first class to the UK from Bangkok? Intend to splash out on the way home, but probably only be doing it once so want to get the best, if there is a carrier that stands out. Went economy with Emirates this year and thought that was very good, no idea about upstairs though!

20 hours ago, thai3 said:

What's the best business or first class to the UK from Bangkok?

Which do you want? You can fly business class from about GBP1200 depending on offers, and first for about GBP3200 (Emirates, Qatar). Personally I dont think it's worth paying two or three times the business class price to go in first, especially as business is perfectly satisfactory as long as you pick the right airline and plane type. As long as I get a decent meal, a decent drink and a proper lie-flat seat with no one next to me I dont really care about what the pillows are made of, or whether the taps in the toilet are gold-plated or not, or what brand the toiletries pack is. The seat layout is particularly important and I very much favour a window seat in 1-2-1 herringbone in business.

There are lots of video and photo reviews of business and first class trips on Youtube etc., and they give you a pretty good idea of what you would be getting. Just pay careful attention to the aircraft type (and age) as the experience could be very different in another type of plane even with the same airline.

For a direct flight then EVA Business every time. The food service to London is 5 courses and very good, large private seats, AVOD is OK and crew very attentive. Food back from London doesn't seem so good but as its an overnighter then the flatbed sure makes up for it.

14 hours ago, RabC said:

For a direct flight then EVA Business every time.

Cant argue with that, but the OP seems to be flying for the experience rather than out of necessity and so a direct flight is probably not high on his list of priorities.

Indeed if I was paying the first class price to the UK on my yearly pilgrimage I would probably want to choose an airline with a hub in the Middle East if only to extend my first class journey time and to experience the first class lounges there. Some of these are quite remarkable. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/travel/etihad-abu-dhabi-airport-the-worlds-best-first-class-lounge/

Even in business class I am more than happy to pay less than for a direct flight and to get a stopover en route in which I can experience a different lounge, local foods etc., or even a different hotel and a brief view of the place I am passing through. Sri Lankan offer this, for example. Next year I'm flying with Finnair - also heavily discounted in their sale - and I'm looking forward to experiencing a new aeroplane type and new lounges and a new country (and their three free bags allowance will be nice too).

But beware,

Business class seat layout seems to be designed for people on their own. Travel with someone else and most seats you can not see or talk to your companion.

Often the arrangement is 1 - 2 - 1 so if you sit either side of the plane you are on your own. The middle 2 seats are angled so your legs are together but your heads far apart with a privacy barrier. I have found this on Emirates and Finair. Finair (if you have a companion) sit on opposite sides of the passage then you can easily chat together. Don't sit two together in the middle if you are still on speaking terms.

For KittenKong Finair lounge in Helsinki is superb - serve yourself beer and good hot food as well as snacks. Busy but no problems finding a seat. Trouble is the trip to Manchester the connection is very short so no time to enjoy. The new airbus used (the A350?) was very nice.  Helsinki is nice for a couple of nights but expensive ....................

Without doubt best value is Finnair via Helsinki to London or Manchester. They cost around BHT 76,000 return which is approx 50% less than Thai, Singapore and Cathay who are all excellent airlines but expensive.

Finnair have a new fleet of A350 planes with free WiFi and lie flat beds.

I have flown them for 4 yrs and never had a problem, I would thoroughly recommend them ??

I usually fly cattle class but I've had a few occasions to upgrade using frequent flyer points in different companies. Emirates' business class is really excellent, with full flat beds, almost total privacy, massage seats, the tablet etc.

Most importantly, the impressive quietness of the A380 is even more enjoyable upstairs in business class. I remember being really annoyed by the noisy B777 in Etihad business class.

I've heard that the A350 is even quieter so I would be tempted to fly a company that uses them as well.

Edited by Lannig

On 10/12/2016 at 10:22 PM, robertthebruce said:

Thai Airways Business Class is good, service and food selection..

staff very attentive...

British Airways, is OK  but it's the  777 Aircraft which is a bit old and tired...., flat bed is ample for myself....

enjoy....it's the only way to,fly....

It may be different going to Europe, but That Business from Australia to Bkk was on par with Air Asia for me.

Emirates gets my vote.

My recommendation is Singapore Airlines. 3 flights a day SIN-LHR I think all are A380. Lots  of connections BKK-SIN-BKK. The A380 in business has a 1-2-1 layout, flat beds, service excellent, both in the air and on the ground. If you can afford it fly first suites - best in the world. Transit in SIN very good too - better than Dubai (Disney world on steroids).

I would have suggested Thai but you don't like them. Non stop BKK-LHR-BKK, and I find their seating in the A380 excellent, service good, but over to you.

I have flown Biz Class BKK -LHR since 2007,they have been excellent in flight,only complaint I have with them is using the TG Lounge in Swampy,which is absolutely abysmal.

The QAR Lounge IN T4 at LHR is excellent,as is their lounge in Hammad Int'nl in Doha.

Qatar have heaps of promotions on a regular basis,subscribe to their newsletter on their Website,and you won't miss a deal.

I was upgraded to 1st on a leg after complaining about the TG lounge,and was the only person in the cabin,much preferred the Biz Class cabin,and they fly the A380 from BKK Thru to LHR,just check the appropriate flight boxes on your booking form.

I have travelled often to Europe (including the UK) on Thai, Singapore and the last time on Emirates, on all three First Class. Whilst both Singapore and Thai on their Airbus 380 and Singapore also on their 777 (but Thai on their old 77 are not to be recommended), Emirates are by far the best and also here make sure you choose the 380 Airbus flights. The seats as well as the service in First Class is absolutely superb. As a First Class Passenger you can even have a shower on board on long flights.

The only snag with Emirates is that they don't belong to any of the bigger Airlines alliances (Star, One World etc) and a s such one can only earn miles (generously so!) to be used on Emirates flights. I don't travel as much as I used to and wish to spend my miles with Star alliance and hence I'll probably use Thai for my next 1-2 Europe flights, but thereafter it will be Emirates only!

Much a case of personal choice.

For me direct would be Thai. I've only had good service from them up to now. But if you're willing to break the journey then Etihad and Qatar are usually very good. Both offer excellent lounges with lots of facilities and are easy airports for travelers.

I found EVA business a bit basic on their direct. BA o k.

KLM I don't like as I've a few bad experiences with them. Air France not particularly special - and CDG awful. Lufthansa long hauls business used to be good - but of course they've problems with strikes now and the customer service at Frankfurt sucks.

Depends how much of a treat and your preference of direct or not. If you have time stop off in Abu Dhabi - you can often get some good short stay deals from the hotels at Yas Island. Not far from the airport or into Abu Dhabi itself. 

Wish you safe and pleasant flight whatever you deserve. Let us know how you get on.

I use emirates business to uk from bkk and back.From bkk to Dubai usually has flatbeds on the flights and from Dubai to lhr usually seats that almost go to flat. Free food and cooked meals in Dubai lounge on 3 hr stop and xbox machines to pass the time with. Never had any problems with anything on the flights, only thing i did think was odd was on the flight from Dubai to bkk they turned the temp down in the cabin and it was freezing !!

Qatar Airways takes some beating most of the planes have now been upgraded even on the DOH <-> BKK flights (+ they have the youngest fleet of airlines)  First / Business Classes are excellent though I have had issues with food once or twice, Economy is okay same standard as most of the carriers in UAE/Gulf (apart from Gulf Air, you get what you pay for)

32 minutes ago, geisha said:

Sorry I'm a bit off subject, but why, especially when you've paid a fortune for your tickets, is the air con so icy cold ? I've had many a flight totally spoiled by freezing temperatures .

For some reason Emirates flights always icy cold, even after a few passengers complained the temperature never altered much if any.

I paid over £700 extra for one leg on a return ticket for Business Class from Gatwick with Emirates with a stop over in Dubai, I didn't see it as value for money. The food was the same as economy the only difference it was served on plates and you got a tablecloth. A Bar which was tiny fortunately the Business Class was practically empty. Apart from a lie down bed which unless your doing a direct flight it doesn't really serve any purpose. Yes the Lounge at Gatwick had decent food, champagne etc but unless you want to get a skinful and risk not being allowed board did nothing for me. Dubai Lounge albeit the middle of the night didn't have much on offer.

done it once got the T Shirt never again, I couldn't see any real benefits.

Thai First (new version)  is pretty good , and certainly way better than  the new Thai business or the BA equivalent.  I much prefer direct flights so for me there is not much choice (if going to UK) ; IMO the fare difference between Thai Air First and Business Class (if originating BKK) does not really reflect the huge difference in quality between the two products. Thai First is worth paying a bit extra for.

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

For some reason Emirates flights always icy cold, even after a few passengers complained the temperature never altered much if any.

My biggest concern is if it to hot....very hard to cool down. But even in economy I have spoken to them and they adjusted it immediately.

I last flew on JAL to California in business....they don't have first class. It was excellent eating lobster and smoked salmon and drinking saki. They give you a small bottle that was to much to drink so popped it in the carry on for home. Service was fantastic, three suitcase check in up to 70lbs each....more than enough. Lay down flat bed....perfect for sleeping, pop an AdvilPM and good for five hours or more. Fast track through X Ray machines with the crews. Just treated like one should be. Went through Osaka with a nice lounge with pretty good food, but the downside was no showers. If you have the Bucks the Middle East countries and lounges are pretty damn good.

just read that Quantas are doing nonstop Hearhrow to Perth for 17 hours. Back in 1947 when you did that route it was 4 days and 9 stops.....so our time machine today is a bit faster than back in the good old days...lol.

Years ago i flew business with Thai Air,to come here, and i found it very good.And then i flew business with Emirates,and i was happy,but i have to say that having flown cattle with Emirates,i found it to be excellent value.I then decided that i would fly business no more,Why waste the money when cattle on Emirates is so nice?i would rather fly cattle and spend the savings in Thailand.The money saved was enough to get a 1st class hotel for 5 nights,3/4 good bottles of wine,good class meals in good restaurants, and the company of a beautiful Thai girl for the 3 day week end. Business? you can keep it.

7 hours ago, Lannig said:

I usually fly cattle class but I've had a few occasions to upgrade using frequent flyer points in different companies. Emirates' business class is really excellent, with full flat beds, almost total privacy, massage seats, the tablet etc.

Most importantly, the impressive quietness of the A380 is even more enjoyable upstairs in business class. I remember being really annoyed by the noisy B777 in Etihad business class.

I've heard that the A350 is even quieter so I would be tempted to fly a company that uses them as well.

I regularly fly Business class with Etihad on both Man-ADhabi-BKK and Man-ADhabi-HKT these have been on B777s & A330s have never had any issues with noise, you must have been unlucky and also you get Noise cancelling headphones in Etihad BClass so you were double unlucky as yours must have been broken?

The service with Etihad is outstanding and also the business lounges, the dine anytime menu is great giving a wide choice of food and beverages and at what ever time you want, excellent chauffeur transfer service also in either Merc S Class or BMW 7 series

I also prefer transiting via Abu-Dhabi than Dubai, IMO Abu-Dhabi is just a better airport environment and feel you are treated to a better standard of service with less hassle (only my two pence worth though - each to there own)

42 minutes ago, Lokie said:

I regularly fly Business class with Etihad on both Man-ADhabi-BKK and Man-ADhabi-HKT these have been on B777s & A330s have never had any issues with noise, you must have been unlucky and also you get Noise cancelling headphones in Etihad BClass so you were double unlucky as yours must have been broken?

Well, I might be more sensitive to ambient noise than you are (as a matter of fact, I am very sensitive) but I generally find the B777 (and the A330 too, to a lesser extent) annoyingly noisy and making the overall experience less smooth.

I don't wear headphones while sleeping because it's not comfortable, so the noise-cancelling feature is of no use to me. I don't like wearing foam ear plugs either.

The A380 definitely is much quieter, don't know if you've ever had the chance to experience it but you would certainly have noticed. Therefore it's a definite plus for Emirates as far as I'm concerned.

The service with Etihad is outstanding and also the business lounges, the dine anytime menu is great giving a wide choice of food and beverages and at what ever time you want, excellent chauffeur transfer service also in either Merc S Class or BMW 7 series

Agreed for the EY in-flight service. Never had a chance to try the chauffeur service.

I also prefer transiting via Abu-Dhabi than Dubai, IMO Abu-Dhabi is just a better airport environment and feel you are treated to a better standard of service with less hassle (only my two pence worth though - each to there own)

Amen to this too, with exceptions. The walks from one terminal to another tend to be annoyingly long and with crowded corridors at AUH. On this particular aspect, DXB is better IMO.

On 10/12/2016 at 7:25 PM, Khun Han said:

If you don't mind a half-way stop, Qatar is outstanding (the lounge at Doha is pretty good too). Upside of using Qatar is flying to a regional airport on the second leg, if required, rather than being stuck with London.

Especially Biz on their A380.

Quite happy with Emirates too.

Have flown U.K. to Singapore in Business Class with loads of different airlines & have to say Emirates is probably all around the best but their service does seemed to have gone down since they started code sharing with Quantas.

As people have said, a large part of it is the plane their using so I would decide what kind of plane I wanted to fly on (in non-cattle it would be the 380 for me though I'm yet to try Business class on the 350)

Www.seatguru.com is a great site for checking out planes, seating arrangements & reviews.

Oh & having a shower at 35,000 feet before retiring to your 1st Class suite (Emirates 380) is an experience in itself (& only a 25,000 mile upgrade when I did it on the Man - Dxb leg but I think it's more like 43,000 nowadays)

Edit: Some very valid points about transfers, CDG can be a nightmare, I didn't enjoy changing in Frankfurt with Lufthansa (or was it Munich, I get mixed up wi SIA which airline uses which), also didn't enjoy the lounge in Helsinki but I was going on to Lithuania so might have been a different one).