VPN For an Android Box

Steps

Hi All,

When i have downloaded VPN apps for android boxes, they usually present on the TV screen sideways as they are usually developed for mobile phones. Does anybody know of a VPN application that is meant for an android box?

For the Moderator: I had a read through your section on discussion on VPN's and i believe that i am within the rules as per the article. This is just a general discussion about VPN applications and how they present on Android TV boxes.

Thank you

What is a VPN App for Android? VPN is already built in on Android. And: VPN has no influence on orientation of pictures, it is just a tunnel for IP connections.

Are we talking about the same? What do you mean by VPN App???

3 minutes ago, Aachen said:

What is a VPN App for Android? VPN is already built in on Android. And: VPN has no influence on orientation of pictures, it is just a tunnel for IP connections.

Are we talking about the same? What do you mean by VPN App???

A VPN already built in on Android?

You learn something new every day on this forum.

Hi All,

OK i have a MXQ android TV box which attaches to the TV via a HDMI cable. I can access the google play store and there are a tone of VPN apps out there. However, they all seem to be designed for phones because when i download and open them, they appear on the screen sideways instead of upright. Does anybody know of any VPN apps that are specifically designed for Android TV boxes, NOT PHONES??

If i get a chance, i will get some pictures and post em for you.

Thank you

Edited by Steps

IMLE, most Android Play Store VPN apps/clients (free and paid) present vertically, centered, taking up the middle third of a TV screen when used on an Android box. 

Do other Play Store apps. present sideways? Maybe it's some setting on your box which needs toggling?

Hi, I have the VPN app 'OpenConnect' on my Android box and can confirm it works. I buy the VPN subscription from 12vpn.com for around USD$50 per year and the app I use is called 'OpenConnect' avaliable from the Play Store. 12vpn have instructions on how to set up the servers and OpenConnect opens perfectly on any Android device, including Android boxes. 

22 hours ago, Aachen said:

Did you look -as described before:

You find VPN under Wireless & Network -> more - VPN

I will check this out.

Thanks

Just done it now and it does show the VPN apps that i have downloaded but the still appear vertical on the screen. I managed to get one connected and when i go to download TV apps from the country i have the VPN set for, it says that these apps are not available in your country. Obviously a free "crap" VPN app!!

Edited by Steps

10 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

IMLE, most Android Play Store VPN apps/clients (free and paid) present vertically, centered, taking up the middle third of a TV screen when used on an Android box. 

Do other Play Store apps. present sideways? Maybe it's some setting on your box which needs toggling?

I downloaded 3 apps and they all presented sideways on the screen!

1 hour ago, jadee said:

Hi, I have the VPN app 'OpenConnect' on my Android box and can confirm it works. I buy the VPN subscription from 12vpn.com for around USD$50 per year and the app I use is called 'OpenConnect' avaliable from the Play Store. 12vpn have instructions on how to set up the servers and OpenConnect opens perfectly on any Android device, including Android boxes. 

Hi,

this sounds a bit pricey for a VPN for some good old Blightey TV. Are there any other alternatives out there anyone that you are having luck with????????????

I tried quite a few VPN apps yesterday, and have many, many, many other Play Store apps, and all present vertically (but only taking up the middle third of a TV screen so it does look unusual in that sense). My guess is that it may be something unique to your box, or modifiable via a setting?

Do all Play Store apps, say like Speedtest (Ookla) present sideways?

What version of Android is your box running? Maybe go in to (Android) Settings, Display, check "when display is rotated" or "auto-rotate"? Toggle that, re-start. 

Edited by mtls2005

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I tried quite a few VPN apps yesterday, and have many, many, many other Play Store apps, and all present vertically (but only taking up the middle third of a TV screen so it does look unusual in that sense). My guess is that it may be something unique to your box, or modifiable via a setting?

Do all Play Store apps, say like Speedtest (Ookla) present sideways?

What version of Android is your box running? Maybe go in to (Android) Settings, Display, check "when display is rotated" or "auto-rotate"? Toggle that, re-start. 

Because VPN's do not change anything on any stream you might better look into the settings of your Android box. maybe you might be interested in VLC-Player, where you might be able to change the orientation. It seems to me, that YOUR box announces beeing vertical. Maybe you look for settings for orientation in the general settings of your Android TV box!

Other useful VPNs are: Opara VPN (you choose the country) or Tunnelbear.

You could consider using a VPN router - See here:  https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-router

Then any device communicating through that router is automatically protected.  A system of this type is not that well known about yet and leans more towards the more technical among us, but it does save all the faffing about establishing a VPN from individual devices and checking that a VPN is still active on a particular device.  The VPN router can sit behind your usual router.  Some routers allow wireless WAN connections so that they can tether to a mobile phone to get secure access to the internet from anywhere.  I've even seen pocket VPN routers.

If you have a VPN sub (I use Ironsocket), it's actually pretty easy to add it to most Routers these days.

On the Ironsocket website, you just generate an .OPVN file for the server you want, and on the Router you import that file and type in your credentials.

Not very difficult.