Vung Tao verses Thailand

sandgroper2

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Vung Tao is a coastal city in Vietnam with an oilfield support base that is growing as a beach resort for the locals but isn't fully on the international beach resort radar yet..

Thailand is a whole country.

How can we compare these?

After 15 years here, Thailand to me is Pattaya or Phuket. But I know what you mean.

Good answer.

I like Vung Tao. Spent a lot of time down there years ago. I understand it has changed a lot. 

You need to flesh out your opening post for punters to get a purchase on what the question is. THat's why the last one was binned. It is one thing to like a place but you have put something out there to 'canvas' others re their views. 

Well to mitigate the OP's awkwardness, I gather he is talking about the free access to the beach from almost anywhere, easy ferry ride from HCMC on a friday night, great dog track which always seemed to soak up my money, a night life for the younger crew and as it were then and as i recall a destitute seafront better remembered well in a Cold Chisel song whose name i have forgotten. It also was the x/viet vets base and our gas plant not so far away. 

We had great times in Vung Tau in the 1990's. Shame the thread does not work. Feels like i started it myself!!

7 hours ago, sandgroper2 said:

After 15 years here, Thailand to me is Pattaya or Phuket. But I know what you mean.

Gotcha.

Well depending one what you like most about Pattaya (or Phuket) will make it easier to compare. For me and Pattaya, there's always something new even after the last 11 years here (and my more youthful 8 years in Pattaya before that in the 1980's). Vung Tau is a bit of a one trick pony in comparison. After a month of weekends or half a dozen crew changes, you've seen it all.

2 hours ago, optad said:

We had great times in Vung Tau in the 1990's.

Got to agree. My first time there was in 1994 and it was fun and cheap. It's a bit lame and predictable these days.... and more expensive. I have more fun in HCMC to be honest.