Do I Need An Anti-virus Software?

freeman

I just downloaded and installed Windows Defender from Microsoft website.

Now, I need advise if with having this software, is it necessary to have an anti-virus software,too?

Thanks for any comments :o

Yes. Antispyware programs catch spyware well, and viruses poorly. Antiviruses catch viruses well, and spyware poorly.

If you want a free AV get Avast, or Antivir. They have done quite well in test scores, and Avast is very customisable. Avoid AVG as it's test scores have been terrible.

As paid programs go, Norton, and MacAfee are notorious system hogs. Bitdefender and nod32 both perform very well with a minimal load on the system.

I avoid "security suites" that try to do everything for you. Most of them are intrusive and have alot of crap running unnessesarily that just slows your system down.

Windows Defender is a free programme that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software.

You should also install some anti virus software and there are plenty of good free programmes to choose from. My personal preference is Avast as it allows me to programme a boot scan which I find effective (www.avast.com) another good programme is AVG from www.grisoft.com but if you google anti virus you will have a myraid of choice. I also run a adaware programme and a cleanup programme. Some say its belt and braces but I have never suffered a virus infection in all the years I have been online and used these programmes.