Two more Chinese tourists badly injured in Phuket taxi crash

webfact

Two more Chinese tourists badly injured in Phuket taxi crash

Phuket Gazette

pkt1.jpeg     

Three people were seriously injured when the taxi slammed into a parked truck after the driver attempted to overtake another car on the inside lane. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Two Chinese tourists on their way to Phuket airport in a taxi this morning were severely injured when their driver slammed into the back of a parked 18-wheel truck on the bypass road at 5:40am.

The taxi driver was attempting to overtake another car on the inside lane when he hit the parked truck an eye witness told police. 

The taxi, a Toyota Vios, was destroyed in the high-speed collision. The driver and the two passengers suffered broken arms and legs and were rushed to Vachira Hospital.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Two-Chinese-tourists-badly-injured-Phuket-taxi/65990?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-14

One of the most honest comments I've read about highway safety enforcement! LOL

The accident follows a series of foreign tourist deaths in rapid succession on Phuket's wildly dangerous roads where death and mayhem haunt the island on an almost daily basis. Pro-active law enforcement is famously absent, apart from the occasional public relations based "crackdown" evidenced by nothing more than (passive) checkpoints.

.............. The taxi driver was attempting to overtake another car on the inside lane when he hit the parked truck ............

Let's hope the passengers make a full and speedy recovery. As for the slug that was driving, ........I couldn''t give a toss.

34 minutes ago, BKKBrit said:

I hope the Chinese passengers sue the driver and the taxi company and the Land Transport Department - or whoever issues licenses to these 'slugs' as Cuchalainn said. 

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.  What's the odds that he wasn't even a licensed taxi driver and that he had no insurance above the legal bare minimum?  

2 hours ago, BKKBrit said:

I hope the Chinese passengers sue the driver and the taxi company and the Land Transport Department - or whoever issues licenses to these 'slugs' as Cuchalainn said. 

Unfortunately, the primary reason safety precautions are seriously lacking in Thailand is that the courts don't understand their role in assessing substantial damages in order to deter dangerous conduct.  What you see for sentencing in the criminal courts is severe, compared to the minuscule damages levied against tortious defendants in Thai courtrooms.  There's absolutely no detriment so as to cause people and companies to conform to safety standards.  It's more profitable not to.