Masa Harina or corn meal

Nampa89

I had previously lived in Thailand from 2004 to 2011 and I looked for real corn meal or masa harina to make corn tortillas but it seemed impossible to find. Now I am back living in Chiang Mai and hoping to find some somewhere. I have found flour tortillas and imported Old Elpaso taco shells for 19 times the price of America but that won't do. Has anyone seen corn meal or masa harina in Chiang Mai?

Edited by Nampa89
Spelling

The masa at Makro doesn't have any ricotta. The label is confusing--the ricotta is just a suggestion for a recipe.

The masa at Makro also is not good for tortillas. It doesn't stick together like it should, perhaps it's too coarsely ground. I used some for tamales, however.

Corn is not all the same, for good masa you need a kind that is not commonly available here, it has been said in previous threads on this topic.

Also, the corn in not ground dry in the traditional method of making masa.

Edited by Dante99

I had previously lived in Thailand from 2004 to 2011 and I looked for real corn meal or masa harina to make corn tortillas but it seemed impossible to find. Now I am back living in Chiang Mai and hoping to find some somewhere. I have found flour tortillas and imported Old Elpaso taco shells for 19 times the price of America but that won't do. Has anyone seen corn meal or masa harina in Chiang Mai?

We grind corn each morning for fresh masa at Salsa Kitchen. We could sell some if you want but would need to know a day in advance to nixtamalize extra corn. Contact Salsa Kitchen Ruamchok if interested.

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I get cornmeal from both Yok and CM Bakers Mart. But make sure you look at it carefully...sometimes, there're bugs in it...but usually it is in a see-through plastic bag and any bugs are easily seen. I use it to make cornbread. I've never tried making tortillas with it. Both also carry buckwheat flour and almond flour in case you're looking for gluten free. pg

On 12/17/2016 at 0:17 PM, cmsoulbrother said:

We grind corn each morning for fresh masa at Salsa Kitchen. We could sell some if you want but would need to know a day in advance to nixtamalize extra corn. Contact Salsa Kitchen Ruamchok if interested.

May I ask where you get the corn you use? I live too far away to buy from you, but I'd love to try mixtamalizing myself.

Slightly off-topic, I know...

I was browsing the classifieds this morning (I think it was Baht and Sold, but definitely one of the Facebook groups), and I saw someone was selling a tortilla press in her moving sale.  I believe the seller is in Nimman.

I've heard presses are a little hard to find, so I figured that you--or somebody reading this--might benefit.

My embarrassed apologies if presses are, in fact, "dirt easy"to procure!

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2016 at 12:17 PM, cmsoulbrother said:

What a kind offer. I want to make corn tortillas at home and I live in your general area. I'll stop by some day.