Storm windows

Boatman37210

Anyone know where you can get storm windows that could be installed on the inside.  The kind where the window raises up and down.  Need a window that is thin.  The only windows I can find so far open and close like doors or sliding windows.  Sliding windows would be my choice, but contractor says they would protrude into the house to far and would not be attractive. 

Remodeling a traditional Thai house.  The windows only have wooden shutters.  Would like  to install a window that has both a screen and glass.  Raise the glass and the screen lets air in, but keeps bugs out.  Lower the glass and you still let light in, but can run aircon if you would like.

Not sure why you are asking for "Storm Windows" sounds like you just need regular ole windows with screens. 

In every town in Thailand they have local aluminum window frame makers that can make windows to order of any size you want. And fit them with screens.

Assuming your house is block/cement they would totally fit and its totally common. 

Is the house teak wood or cement? 

Also the same places that make aluminum windows also make screens that you can screw on the inside of an opening. 

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Not sure why you are asking for "Storm Windows" sounds like you just need regular ole windows with screens. 

House is wood.

I want to keep the wood shutters that open and close.  When closed they take up a lot of the depth of the window frame.  Because of that there is no room to install a regular window or sliding glass window.  They would protrude into the house too much.  A standard window would probably work if they were thin enough, but I have yet to see one.

Difference between storm windows and regular windows is that storm windows are thin.   At least these are the storm windows I am familiar with.  If a shop can make a thin aluminum window where the top and bottom half can slide up and down like a regular window, that should do it.  Just the bottom half sliding would probably work.  Just need a way to open the window to let in air.  Adding a screen should be easy. 

I will talk to a shop.  Have only about an inch in depth before window starts to protrude into the house.  Anyone have any idea about the thinnest standard window available?  Thanks.

Edited by Boatman37210
Forgot something

Without seeing, one can only imagine what you are doing.

Aluminium opening ones are the thinness l have seen in Global and on my old shiplapped wooded barn house that is going to have a room the inner lining l'm installing will take up the extra depth.