Shop Owner’s Killers Get Life Sentences

geovalin

Three people have been jailed for life for murdering the owner of a fishing and shooting games shop. Pong Vuthy, 23, Yam Phoeun, 29, and Chin Pheakdey, 19, went to the shop in Tumnob village in Phnom Penh to play the games in April.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court presiding judge Y Thavireak said that victim Chhay Hak, 22, was sitting alone and not being careful when he was attacked. The three beat him on the face and head with pieces of wood, killing him in the shop.  They took his motorbike, 370,000 riels (about $90), a phone and other valuables and fled.  

Mr. Thavireak said the trio, who did not have jobs, were arrested by national military police five days later in Takeo province. “The court convicted them to a life sentence each in prison. The court ordered them to jointly pay a total of 60 million riels (about $15,000) in compensation to the victim’s family,” Mr. Y Thavireak said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33278/shop-owner---s-killers-get-life-sentences/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 19/12

I am just curious, and this is something I have wondered about for quite awhile; the life sentences I understand, but do the courts really anticipate that convicts will ever really have the means to pay the often enormous fines levied? This seems to be common practice in many nations.
I suppose it might be against the extremely remote chance that one receives an inheritance, or signs a book/media deal... the which is rather remote for these jamokes.
Anyone have a clue?