Dozens die of alcohol poisoning in Siberia after drinking bath lotion

webfact

Dozens die of alcohol poisoning in Siberia after drinking bath lotion

606x341_352811.jpg

IRKUTSK: -- Dozens of people in Siberia are reported to have died of alcohol poisoning after drinking bath lotion. Another 15 are gravely ill in hospitals in the city of Irkutsk.

It is the most serious incident of its kind in recent times in Russia, where people in sometimes use alcohol-based products as a cheap alternative to vodka or intoxicating drinks. At least 33 people have died.

“We were admitting patients in a very serious condition with symptoms of severe poisoning and signs of endotoxin shock. All patients have been admitted to the intensive care unit and were given appropriate medical treatment,” said one senior doctor at a local hospital.

A number of people have been arrested as part of a police investigation, in which thousands of bottles of the bath oil have been confiscated.

Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev has said he’s considering legislation to control the sale of such products and tougher punishment for those selling them illegally.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-20

Perfume, methylated spirits, even shoe polish contain ethanol. Methylated spirits is ethanol with a small percentage of methyl (wood) alcohol added to discourage drinkers. I once saw an idiot drinking it from a brake fluid bottle - he assured me he had washed it out.

Alcoholism is a terrible thing. I worked with a guy who told me that, as an apprentice, he was sent every morning by one of his journeymen to buy him a pint of milk and a tin of Bel Hair hairspray. The journeyman would then proceed to empty the hairspray into the milk and drink the lot - without that to get him started, he could barely function. And yet we lock people away for smoking a little herb.

Once worked on a cattle property in northern Australia.

Some of the Aboriginal Ringers(cowboys), would drink a concoction that they called "White Lady", which left them sometimes comatose.

The drink is a mixture of condensed milk, sugar & methylated spirits.

l once took a sip, just to see what it was like. Not good.

Don't know how they could drink it.

Lived with my grandparents for awhile and one day I said where is my after shave. My grandmother said my.uncle drank it. Well he was in the arm forces    and they had get early for a parachute jump.and he  would do the hair of the dog and drink after shave. Hé was a full blown alcoholic.  Got sober but come Remembrance day ...down to the Legion after the parade and would be drunk for the next 6.months.  really sad

There are a few "recipes" for such substitutes appearing in this book (which makes a good read):

Moscow-Petushki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow-Petushki

I recall that way back this actually made sense after sampling some of the common Russian alcohol. Nowadays, there are some fine Russian beers and alcohol (other than vodka).

There are a few "recipes" for such substitutes appearing in this book (which makes a good read):

Moscow-Petushki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow-Petushki

I recall that way back this actually made sense after sampling some of the common Russian alcohol. Nowadays, there are some fine Russian beers and alcohol (other than vodka).

Talking Heads and Venedict Yerofeev - I just knew that there had to be at least a couple of things you and I had in common!

If ever you come across a version of the book called Moscow Stations, translated by Stephen Mulrine, I recommend it - the sharpest version I have read.

"Russia is quite literally drinking itself to death" Russians live some of the shortest lives in any large economy. Life expectancy for a Russian man was roughly 65 years in 2012, compared to 76 years for the US and 74 for China.

http://qz.com/403307/russia-is-quite-literally-drinking-itself-to-death/

How Alcohol Conquered Russia

A history of the country’s struggle with alcoholism, and why the government has done so little about it.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/how-alcohol-conquered-russia/279965/

"Russia is quite literally drinking itself to death" Russians live some of the shortest lives in any large economy. Life expectancy for a Russian man was roughly 65 years in 2012, compared to 76 years for the US and 74 for China.

http://qz.com/403307/russia-is-quite-literally-drinking-itself-to-death/

How Alcohol Conquered Russia

A history of the country’s struggle with alcoholism, and why the government has done so little about it.
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/09/how-alcohol-conquered-russia/279965/

I used to work on an offshore platform in Russia. We were installing a new process module and needed to bring on board a tank of methanol for the commissioning of it.

The Russian law, however, required that the tank be fenced off with barbed wire and have an armed guard stationed by it 24hrs a day. Needless to say, we didn't get our methanol.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

I used to work on an offshore platform in Russia. We were installing a new process module and needed to bring on board a tank of methanol for the commissioning of it.

The Russian law, however, required that the tank be fenced off with barbed wire and have an armed guard stationed by it 24hrs a day. Needless to say, we didn't get our methanol.

This is a true disaster for Russians... married wives become widows too often , too early , not mentioning when young parents mix drugs and alcohol