Royal Ballet Future Not Assured, Dancer Says

geovalin

Public awareness and support are the most critical factors in the survival of the Royal Ballet, said dancer, teacher and Royal Ballet member Serei Vankosaun.  None of Ms. Vankosaun’s relatives are involved in traditional dance, and she is the only member of her family ever to attend art school. But the 22-year-old said her keenest childhood memory is of dancing in front of the TV whenever traditional dancers appeared. 

Observing their daughter’s sincere passion for dance, the family enrolled her in the Secondary School of Fine Arts, where she began her training at age nine. Four years later, the talented young dancer was offered a rare opportunity when she was chosen by Princess Buppha Devi to appear in a documentary about a production of the Ramayana or Reamker. Her appearance helped her advance as a dancer; she would go on to play main roles in many official performances by the Royal Ballet. 

“When I started at art school, my mother was the only one who encouraged me; the other members of my family said little. As we all know, most parents want their children to study banking or anything else they believe can secure you a bright future,” Ms. Vankosaun recalled. Her family’s anxieties began to abate after they saw the excellent work she was doing, and witnessed the applause and the many accolades that came as her dancing career developed.  Ms. Vankosaun has performed with the Royal Ballet in every ASEAN member country. Of the various roles she has played in Royal Ballet performances, her favorite is the Apsara. 

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33417/royal-ballet-future-not-assured--dancer-says/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 21/12