Facebook errs on bombing incident alert in Bangkok

webfact

Facebook errs on bombing incident alert

271202.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Facebook erroneously alerted its users in Bangkok with its Safety check that there was a bombing incident in the capital at 9.15 pm. Tuesday night.

The alert prompted many Facebook users to make inquiries about the bombing incident in the newsreel page. However after checks and rechecks, it was confirmed that the alert was wrong as there was no bombing incident.

The alert might stem from the rerun of the Erawan bombing incident about a year ago in bangkokinformer.com website.

At about 10.10 pm. Facebook decided to turn off the alert.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/facebook-errs-bombing-incident-alert/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-28

‘Fake News’ Prompts Facebook Bangkok Bomb Scare

By Todd Ruiz, Editor -

explosion.jpg

Image: Facebook

BANGKOK — No, there was not a massive explosion Bangkok on Tuesday night.

At about 9pm, Facebook activated its safety check-in system for a reported explosion in the Thai capital. Facebook said the crisis was “confirmed” by media reports, and users began marking themselves “safe.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/12/27/fake-news-prompts-facebook-bangkok-bomb-scare/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-12-28

My wife was in a panic as her friends were forwarding this bomb alert without checking. I checked on line and discovered an article in a Cambodian online English news outlet which stated that the Cambodian Government were stepping up security referring to the bombing in August 2015 at the Erawan Shrine as a reason to support this action. The Face Book algorithm picked up on this article, which at the time was referred to as having been published "1 hour ago" and issued an alert associating only "bomb" with "1 hour ago". I am just waiting for Face Book or Twitter sending out a message "Putin has launched a nuclear attack" for Trump to launch his 7000+ IBMs without checking that it is false news. 80% of the news being passed on during the last 2 years has been fake. 

A lot of people consider FB as the source of events, not only Thai, so unfortunately when something goes amiss, there is not external checking to see if there is any truth.  I quick search on google and a scan of the news channels could save people a lot of angst however that would be too much work for the FB faithful.

Edited by steveyinasia

Actually it seems to have been worse than above appears as it was sourced to BBC in a report here last night and my Google appeard to have had it also reported by globaltimes.cn (both of which seem to have quickly removed after further checking).  

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, Estrada said:

My wife was in a panic as her friends were forwarding this bomb alert without checking. I checked on line and discovered an article in a Cambodian online English news outlet which stated that the Cambodian Government were stepping up security referring to the bombing in August 2015 at the Erawan Shrine as a reason to support this action. The Face Book algorithm picked up on this article, which at the time was referred to as having been published "1 hour ago" and issued an alert associating only "bomb" with "1 hour ago". I am just waiting for Face Book or Twitter sending out a message "Putin has launched a nuclear attack" for Trump to launch his 7000+ IBMs without checking that it is false news. 80% of the news being passed on during the last 2 years has been fake. 

Source? Or bulls**t (false news from you)?

20 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

What news is believable anymore!

I only ever get my new from Youtube channels such as WeAreChange or TruthStreamMedia, you need to have a very critical eye and sieve through the bs. Alternative media places such as Infowars are obviously full of crap and at the very best trying to make big bucks, at the the other end of the scale maybe a tool of leveraging an agenda 

Police Weigh Computer Crime Act Prosecution For FB Bangkok Bomb Hoax

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

fakebomb.jpg

Image of story at Bangkok Informer

BANGKOK — Those responsible for a bogus news article that triggered Facebook to warn people there had been a large explosion in the capital could be prosecuted under the Computer Crime Act, police said Wednesday.

The false report created alarm throughout the capital Tuesday night and was traced back to a fake news site that routinely takes content from other sites. But a police spokesman said investigators were verifying whether it was a technical error or if someone intentionally created the hoax to instigate unrest.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/12/28/police-weigh-computer-crime-act-prosecution-fb-bangkok-bomb-hoax/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

50 minutes ago, JustNo said:

I only ever get my new from Youtube channels such as WeAreChange or TruthStreamMedia, you need to have a very critical eye and sieve through the bs. Alternative media places such as Infowars are obviously full of crap and at the very best trying to make big bucks, at the the other end of the scale maybe a tool of leveraging an agenda 

Trying to make tools sorry fools of all of us I guess. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Police Weigh Computer Crime Act Prosecution For FB Bangkok Bomb Hoax

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

fakebomb.jpg

Image of story at Bangkok Informer

BANGKOK — Those responsible for a bogus news article that triggered Facebook to warn people there had been a large explosion in the capital could be prosecuted under the Computer Crime Act, police said Wednesday.

The false report created alarm throughout the capital Tuesday night and was traced back to a fake news site that routinely takes content from other sites. But a police spokesman said investigators were verifying whether it was a technical error or if someone intentionally created the hoax to instigate unrest.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/12/28/police-weigh-computer-crime-act-prosecution-fb-bangkok-bomb-hoax/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

By the time they get it sorted out and pinpointed to a certain person or entity they will be long gone.