Transport Min eyes cutting road accidents by 5% this New Year

webfact

Transport Min eyes cutting road accidents by 5% this New Year

BANGKOK, 28 December 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport is gearing up for the heavy holiday traffic during the New Year, setting a goal to reduce the number of road accidents by 5 percent. 

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith joined other related officials at a press conference on various preparations being made to facilitate people’s commute during the upcoming New Year holidays. This year, approximately 16.2 million people are expected to travel around the country. 

Mr Arkhom revealed that the ministry will focus on coordinating with concerned units on the inspection and maintenance of all transport systems and vehicles in order to ensure their capacity to serve holidaymakers. Emphasis will also be placed on the quality of service, with an aim of leaving no passengers stranded and providing them with 24-hour assistance. 

In addition, the ministry will make sure that all operators of public vehicles are well-rested beforehand and have a blood alcohol level of zero milligram percent. 

With the ultimate goal of bringing the number of road accidents and casualties this year down by 5 percent, the Transport Minister said real-time monitoring and CCTV systems are being utilized to follow up on the traffic situation and handle any accidents. Road checkpoints and various working units have also been set up to coordinate with the Road Safety Directing Center.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-28

Sure mate!

Last night i drove on a backroad in BKK along a swamplake. I noticed a man in the dark doing something at the lake next to the road.

When i came close i saw it was a Thai man pulling a scooter out of the water.

Guess he was a bit mau so i didn't help him.

Especially the backroads are places where drunk people drive, without lights/helmets/license/insurance i assume. That doesn't matter though as long as it doesn't happen on the main roads where the expensive cars are driving.

simple, get the police out on the roads like western countries and pull over all the drivers ignoring/breaking the law and issue them with fines  or simply seize their unroadworthy vehicles. If they actually had the police patrolling roads etc they would make an absolute fortune in revenue as the majority of drivers continually break the law, if they started pulling them over and fining/removing cars the rest would start to obey the road rules and the death rates would have to drop but then that would cause loss of face to all the thai drivers and mean the police would have to actually work for a change

Alice must be having quite a few visitors.

Firtly we had Thanawat Polwichai, the director of the Center for Economic and Business Forecasting  the telling the world that Thailand's economy would grow by 3.6% but coudn't give any reasons why that might be so.

Then we had  Vice Minister Kobsak Pootrakool  declaring that Thailand woukd soon be able to seize assets of individuals in another country.

And now we have  Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith  promising to reduce road deaths by 5%.

The BS meter is taking a flogging today.

by reducing fines?

" BANGKOK: -- The Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) is ready to reset fine payment for minor traffic offences to only 100 baht across the board as a New Year gift for traffic violators "

4 hours ago, seajae said:

simple, get the police out on the roads like western countries and pull over all the drivers ignoring/breaking the law and issue them with fines  or simply seize their unroadworthy vehicles. If they actually had the police patrolling roads etc they would make an absolute fortune in revenue as the majority of drivers continually break the law, if they started pulling them over and fining/removing cars the rest would start to obey the road rules and the death rates would have to drop but then that would cause loss of face to all the thai drivers and mean the police would have to actually work for a change

There you go making sense again. You have ruined my day. Maybe after a cup of coffee I will change my mind. 

5%.  Wow, nothing like setting the bar high.

That said, they will not even succeed at 5%.   They say they are allotting 100,000 police to watch your house (probably casing the joint), but only 2500 for traffic duty.  Those numbers are wrong.  It should be 100,000 to traffic duty, and not just sitting on the side of the road sleeping or f**'ng with their smartphones, and 2500 assigned to case (I mean protect) your house.

2 hours ago, WhizBang said:

5%.  Wow, nothing like setting the bar high.

That said, they will not even succeed at 5%.   They say they are allotting 100,000 police to watch your house (probably casing the joint), but only 2500 for traffic duty.  Those numbers are wrong.  It should be 100,000 to traffic duty, and not just sitting on the side of the road sleeping or f**'ng with their smartphones, and 2500 assigned to case (I mean protect) your house.

Are you talking about 100,000 watching the space ship?? That alien has beamed himself out long ago. Yes this number on the road watching traffic would be a better use of manpower but when has that ever been a BIB strong suit. 

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

This never works.  Traffic safety needs to be worked on all year round.  Not just during holidays.  I think last year highway fatalities actually went up despite their promise to bring them down.

True , double demerit points during holiday periods , err that's double demerit points , I said..............................:cheesy:

35 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

52.000 dead on thai roads every year What is the problem anyone know lol

And Thailand edges out Tanzania, Liberia and Burkina Faso for the no 1 world ranking of traffic deaths per 100,000 popn ( @ 36.9). UK is 4.1, Germany 4.6, Australia 5.0, Canada 6.0, USA 10.1. 

The lack of urgency in dealing with it, almost indifference to the human and economic cost, ....hard to understand even with a reasonable understanding of how the place functions.

Hmmmm...where did I read this before? Hmmmm...oh, right: here!
Songkhran 2007...New Years 2007...Songkhran 2008...New Years...
Always 5% less- by now they should have 400 babies born every year, instead of anyone being killed, these dumb 5h1tmonkeys!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

This never works.  Traffic safety needs to be worked on all year round.  Not just during holidays.  I think last year highway fatalities actually went up despite their promise to bring them down.

All anyone can hope it is less accidents and deaths as last year....If I remember right it was way over the year before....

5%. Are they serious? With the death toll in Thailand what it is a target of 100% would be a target to aim for. This year and the next year and so on until they have a comparable rate with counties that have achieved reasonably acceptable rates. Other threads have clearly explained what action is needed. 

Well I think it is good that they at least set a lower target.

This is Thailand and the respective Authorities need a target set by senior officials.

Quite straight forward really.

The amazing part of this is how so many farangs missed the point on here.

20 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Wasn't only a few days ago that a Gov official stated that they were NOT setting targets for road fatalities this year?

Your not dealing with a stationary society everything is in motion and at play at all times. U turns are common much like the road system.