Help is under way for Thai woman detained in Oman since October

webfact

Help is under way for Thai woman detained in Oman since October

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FlJY5hCt1RPZ7PzIrO3nOjY

BANGKOK: -- Officials of the social development and human security in Phitsanuloke are now coordinating with doctors at the Budda Chinnarat hospital to try to secure the release of a Thai woman held in custody in Oman since October 23 for possessing prohibited medicine.

Mrs Sunthree Niamklang, a native of Chart Trakan district of Phitsanuloke, sought help from the provincial office of social development and human security for her daughter who was arrested in Oman for possessing prohibited medicine.

The officials said they had sought a doctor’s certificate for the use of the medicine in question which was banned in Oman in order to be sent to the Thai embassy in Oman to be used in securing the woman’s release.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/help-way-thai-woman-detained-oman-since-october/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-30

This kind of thing is a huge problem in Muslim countries for people merely transiting through those countries with prescription drugs. The United Arab Emirates has a bizarre list of everything from blood pressure medicines to tranquilizers that can cause a tourist or transit passenger to be thrown in jail. International pressure needs to be brought to bear on these  countries to keep them from detaining citizens for possession  of legal medicine.

11 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

This kind of thing is a huge problem in Muslim countries for people merely transiting through those countries with prescription drugs. The United Arab Emirates has a bizarre list of everything from blood pressure medicines to tranquilizers that can cause a tourist or transit passenger to be thrown in jail. International pressure needs to be brought to bear on these  countries to keep them from detaining citizens for possession  of legal medicine.

Bit like if you smoke weed in a country where it is legal and then test positive in a country where it is not you can still be prosecuted.

Or even countries where you can be gaoled for spending money legally earned by selling weed in another country. 

Know any places like that?

Edited by Bluespunk

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Bit like if you smoke weed in a country where it is legal and then test positive in a country where it is not you can still be prosecuted.

Or even countries where you can be gaoled for spending money legally earned by selling weed in another country. 

Know any places like that?

The medicine that are banned in the UAE and other countries are NOT recreational drugs. Blood pressure medicines and sleeping tablets have no recreational use whatsoever. The penalties handed to transit travelers and tourists are a violation of human rights and all free countries (or countries that CONSIDER themselves free) should mount protests against their citizens being treated in such a manner. Merely because you pass LAWS, does not make something fair and just.

17 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

The medicine that are banned in the UAE and other countries are NOT recreational drugs. Blood pressure medicines and sleeping tablets have no recreational use whatsoever. The penalties handed to transit travelers and tourists are a violation of human rights and all free countries (or countries that CONSIDER themselves free) should mount protests against their citizens being treated in such a manner. Merely because you pass LAWS, does not make something fair and just.

My point is that many countries have stupid laws regarding drugs that may be legal in one place but not another and they have nothing to do with any particular faith.

Edited by Bluespunk

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

My point is that many countries have stupid laws regarding drugs that may be legal in one place but not another and they have nothing to do with any particular faith.

Indeed.

Try carrying a bottle of duty free alcohol into Saudi Arabia and let us know how you get on.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Indeed.

Try carrying a bottle of duty free alcohol into Saudi Arabia and let us know how you get on.

As I said before, many countries have stupid laws regarding drugs and/or alcohol.

The range of faiths practiced in the countries with stupid laws covers the entire spectrum.

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed.

On another note about Saudi, I'm led to believe that if you get caught trying to smuggle bacon/pork products into the country you have pig smuggler stamped into your passport.

Probably a myth, but if not I'd imagine it's a badge of honour for some...

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

On another note about Saudi, I'm led to believe that if you get caught trying to smuggle bacon/pork products into the country you have pig smuggler stamped into your passport.

Probably a myth, but if not I'd imagine it's a badge of honour for some...

Don't try carrying a bible openly, wearing a visible crucifix or displaying tattoos openly when entering either. 

Laws are only stupid if the person judging doesn't agree with them. To others they may seem perfectly sane.

Once had to wait whilst the Saudi IO cavorting with one of his male colleagues in a manner that would raise eyebrows in many many placed before he bothered to tare himself away and look at my passport. All relative.

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Don't try carrying a bible openly, wearing a visible crucifix or displaying tattoos openly when entering either. 

Laws are only stupid if the person judging doesn't agree with them. To others they may seem perfectly sane.

Once had to wait whilst the Saudi IO cavorting with one of his male colleagues in a manner that would raise eyebrows in many many placed before he bothered to tare himself away and look at my passport. All relative.

I believe visible Buddha tattoos will get you deported from Sri Lanka.

I agree with you on laws being stupid in the eye of the beholder though.

My only problem with the first post was the insinuation that stupidity is faith based or rather the provenance of one faith alone.

Edited by Bluespunk

46 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed.

You don't have to go to Saudi Arabia try buying it in Tesco England

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/shopper-slams-supermarket-after-muslim-woman-on-checkout-refused-to-serve-him-alcohol/news-story/bd9b7b66fc53d040962911fccfc79588

On 30/12/2016 at 6:42 PM, Chip Allen said:

In the earlier story, it said she actually had other drugs that would get the average person plenty of years in Thailand also. 

If that is the case, jail for foreigners, jail for thai seems fair to me.