Microsoft Just Upgraded My Browser &wmp

kayo

edit: Sorry for thread title (would be good if one of the tv.com elves could change the letters "O.S" to "Browser &WMP" )

I just a few hours ago got updates thrust upon me for media player 10 (which I had but never really used much - prefer foobar, though less practical)

and also I was on IE7, and now it's still IE7 but it's all firefoxed up with tabs and all.

The media player has totally changed, now it's version 11.

Can anyone give me any feedback on these:

Any good? Uses? Advantages?

I have mostly been using firefox and a third party media player, but ... I'm an open kinda guy.

Edited by lopburi3

edit: Sorry for thread title (would be good if one of the tv.com elves could change the letters "O.S" to "Browser &WMP" )

I just a few hours ago got updates thrust upon me for media player 10 (which I had but never really used much - prefer foobar, though less practical)

and also I was on IE7, and now it's still IE7 but it's all firefoxed up with tabs and all.

The media player has totally changed, now it's version 11.

Can anyone give me any feedback on these:

Any good? Uses? Advantages?

I have mostly been using firefox and a third party media player, but ... I'm an open kinda guy.

I got told that the media player cause dome troubles with digital right managment. But I don't know details I never buy something with limited rights (actually I don't buy anything)

I have just one funny problem, when I open a movie in MS Mediaplayer 11, I get a popup window from Nero Burning Rom (version 7.5.7) saying that there is a license violation and I need to buy something.

I send bought software makers an urgent email, this morning Nero told me by email that MS Mediaplayer is using Nero’s codecs without the proper agreement to do so. Probably I never get an email from Microsoft; I’m used to that, especially when they doing something wrong.

The other thing that changed from Mediaplayer 10 to version 11 is that the hunger for more memory has increased, and startup time takes a bit longer.

Personal I think that Microsoft lost his focus, the MS Mediaplayer is not the small helpful tool to play all sorts of multimedia files. Lucky 3th party (OpenSource) developers have developed the Mediaplayer Classic, which comes standard with the K-lite codec pack.

Re Licence rights and all.

I've de-selected or un-clicked all the options to do with connecting to the servers fro music related stuff.

ie: I don't update any files with them, I don't look for media info, I've set all options for being pretty much stand alone

Does this, i mean, does this mean what it implies: ie: My music is not being controlled by them right?