Cabinet endorses new law to get tough on public transport and traffic offenders

webfact

Cabinet endorses new law to get tough on public transport and traffic offenders

716_Cabinet.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The cabinet on Wednesday approved a land traffic bill which will seek to require public transport such as buses to be fitted with safety belts for passengers and to empower transport officials to seize or suspend the driver’s licenses of motorists or to withhold the issuance of road tax permits in case motorists refuse to pay fines within 15 days after they were given traffic tickets.

Government assistant spokesman Colonel Apisit Chainuwat said that the drafters of the land traffic bill had carefully studied the traffic fine issue by taking into consideration the models used in the other countries to come up with our own model which is appropriate.

He stated that proposed changes of the land traffic law were intended to dissuade traffic violators from repeating the offences and to discipline motorists.

The bill aims to tackle five traffic problems which include drunk driving, speeding beyond permissible limits, driver’s licenses, public transport and safety belts.

Further elaborating on the bill, Colonel Apisit said the bill sought to increase the weight of public transport from 1,600 kgs to 2,200 kgs and the drivers of public transport will be required to provide safety belts for all the passengers.

As for traffic tickets which were mostly ignored by traffic offenders, he said that, in the future, the offenders will have to pay fines within 15 days of receiving the tickets, failing that they may have their licenses suspended. On top of that, he said repeated traffic offenders will face fines twice the normal amount.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-endorses-new-law-get-tough-public-transport-traffic-offenders/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-05

So not really new laws, just enforcing the ones already in use. Never going to happen is it.

Increasing  the weight of public transport from 1,600 kgs to 2,200 kgs ? does this take into account the Thai's love of McDonalds ?

Edited by berybert

Until they get serious about moving violations the carnage will continue. You can undertake a cop with 35 people in your pickup, turn without signalling, then carry on the wrong way one a one way street; and the only risk of police action will be if they stop you to check if you and one other passenger has a seatbelt on.

Have Thais or Thai governments ever heard of law "enforcement"? So often we hear about (laughably) new laws. Do these "law makers" realize a law does not magically fix anything? Enforcement is necessary if any change is desired. Not happening in Lack of Sanctions (LOS).

Just now, BigBadGeordie said:

Whilst english is my first language, I am struggling to understand this story, so can someone please translate the OP for me.

I have read it 3 times and all I can comprehend is "Blah, blah, blah, hot air, blah, blah, hot air."

It's the language known as "bureaucratese". There are variants of it in the world of business as well, so much so that there are now games called "bulls**t bingo" where meaningless but popular words are collated and then an individual speech is critiqued live, with the winner the first person who can spot all of the words/phrases on the bingo card

New law to get tough on traffic offenders.

Not in my life time. 

First people need to be taught how to drive properly, second police need to get off their a...es and enforce the law.

Neither is going to happen, so stop spouting nonsense.