Lobster price at Pattaya restaurants, how much and where ? Any market selling lobsters too ?

BsBs

Hello,

Where do you usually eat lobsters ?

Can you tell me if lobsters are sold the same prive everywhere around Pattaya and where it is actually possible to find them ?

No cheap seafood restaurant that Thai always praise has lobsters, including Mum aroi and others pretended good restaurants...

Is there any market or company where it's possible to buy also ? Any address ?

Thanks.

i don't eat lobster often as i prefer prawns. the (Canadian cold water) lobster which i eat once in a while i buy in Foodland, is prepared at home and i consume it with a variety of dips at our dining table. beats any restaurant lobster in quality (taste) and of course pricewise.

preparation: no boiling, no steaming just charcoal grilled.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i don't eat lobster often as i prefer prawns. the (Canadian cold water) lobster which i eat once in a while i buy in Foodland, is prepared at home and i consume it with a variety of dips at our dining table. beats any restaurant lobster in quality (taste) and of course pricewise.

So how much are you selling it for at your house then?

4 hours ago, BsBs said:

Where do you usually eat lobsters ?

Can you tell me if lobsters are sold the same prive everywhere around Pattaya and where it is actually possible to find them ?

It all depends on whether you mean rock lobsters, "Phuket" lobsters or (dare I say it) real lobsters from cold waters.

The former can be found just about anywhere and cost from perhaps 250B/kg at Makro, depending on size. The other types are very variable in both price and quality.

As Naam says there are frozen maine style lobsters in foodland. They run about 600 baht each. 

For the last couple of weeks fresh local crayfish have been available in Naklua seafood market. Prices range from 1250 to 1450 baht per Kg. They are larger than the lobsters and I'd expect an average sized one to cost around 1000 baht.

I prefer cold water lobsters to their warm water crayfish cousins. For me in Asia I'd rather buy large size tiger prawns at 350-400 baht per kg or slipper/rock lobster ( also known as bugs ) at 400 baht per kg..

Or if you visit Thonglor there is a great stall in the basement foodcourt at " The Commons" serving live maine lobsters fresh from the tank either with fries, salad or in a soft roll that I could highly recommend.

6 hours ago, Naam said:

Cheaper than what is found at restaurant for 2000 thb ? a kilo ? I doubt

But better, I can believe you, as cold water seafood is always better than hot tropical sea food.

Do you know any other place but food land selling it ?

2 hours ago, Pdaz said:

As Naam says there are frozen maine style lobsters in foodland. They run about 600 baht each. 

For the last couple of weeks fresh local crayfish have been available in Naklua seafood market. Prices range from 1250 to 1450 baht per Kg. They are larger than the lobsters and I'd expect an average sized one to cost around 1000 baht.

I prefer cold water lobsters to their warm water crayfish cousins. For me in Asia I'd rather buy large size tiger prawns at 350-400 baht per kg or slipper/rock lobster ( also known as bugs ) at 400 baht per kg..

Or if you visit Thonglor there is a great stall in the basement foodcourt at " The Commons" serving live maine lobsters fresh from the tank either with fries, salad or in a soft roll that I could highly recommend.

Thank you, I didn;'t know crayfish and will check it at Naklua market.

Very large tiger prawns costs as much as lobsters in Thailand. By very large I mean that you get 5 - 7 for 1 kilo.

for 500 thb I call them small, or your market is magic ?

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, BsBs said:

Cheaper than what is found at restaurant for 2000 thb ? a kilo ? I doubt

But better, I can believe you, as cold water seafood is always better than hot tropical sea food.

Do you know any other place but food land selling it ?

i never weighed what i buy, will do that next time. perhaps weight is given on the price sticker. my estimate is 1,200/Baht/kg. no idea where lobster is sold besides Foodland.

7 hours ago, BsBs said:

Thank you, I didn;'t know crayfish and will check it at Naklua market.

Very large tiger prawns costs as much as lobsters in Thailand. By very large I mean that you get 5 - 7 for 1 kilo.

for 500 thb I call them small, or your market is magic ?

Thanks again.

The Lobster in the picture was around 1200 baht which I thought was good value considering it was alive and imported.

There are several types of prawns available at Naklua market.

Farmed river prawns - from 120 baht a kilo. Blue colour, long legs and claws, large head. Usually sold live.

Sea prawns. White, Yellow or Grey king prawns - Small head and legs, firm flesh. Graded in size and sold on ice. From 240-400 baht a kilo

Sea prawns. Extra large red tiger or banana prawns. These are very large and are only available at a couple of the stalls. 5 or 7 to the Kg and priced from 600 - 900 baht to the Kg.

No magic at the market but the prices are lower than any of the supermarkets in town and the seafood is very fresh.

These grey king prawns were 320 baht a Kg.

IMG_3893.JPG

I saw live lobster on ice at Lenkee restaurant on Pattaya Klang last week. They were the fully sized large clawed type and you could see that they were still alive. I was in a rush so didn't stop to ask the price but I am sure they aren't cheap.

3 hours ago, Pdaz said:

The Lobster in the picture was around 1200 baht which I thought was good value considering it was alive and imported.

There are several types of prawns available at Naklua market.

Farmed river prawns - from 120 baht a kilo. Blue colour, long legs and claws, large head. Usually sold live.

Sea prawns. White, Yellow or Grey king prawns - Small head and legs, firm flesh. Graded in size and sold on ice. From 240-400 baht a kilo

Sea prawns. Extra large red tiger or banana prawns. These are very large and are only available at a couple of the stalls. 5 or 7 to the Kg and priced from 600 - 900 baht to the Kg.

No magic at the market but the prices are lower than any of the supermarkets in town and the seafood is very fresh.

These grey king prawns were 320 baht a Kg.

IMG_3893.JPG

120b per kilo for live fresh water prawns sounds wrong. They usually run from 270b-450b dependent on size @ Naklua Fish Market

2 hours ago, tolsti said:

I saw live lobster on ice at Lenkee restaurant on Pattaya Klang last week. They were the fully sized large clawed type and you could see that they were still alive. I was in a rush so didn't stop to ask the price but I am sure they aren't cheap.

I asked the price of one about six weeks ago. Was told 1800 baht.

i settled for the duck.

we have just started farming red claw crayfish, only just started, we have got 9 trios of breeders at the moment and have just put 275 1 inch young ones in one of our rearing ponds,

more out of interest and we had a few old pig pens not doing nothing so i halfed them to make 3x2 mtr rearing ponds as in the pics,

i just like to keep busy and its another few quid coming in,or it will be

finnished ones.jpg

number 1.jpg

DSCF1082.JPG

crays 1.jpg

crays 2.jpg

crays 3.jpg

crays 4.jpg

13 minutes ago, lou62 said:

Good idea and you'll eat well if nothing else. Best of luck with your enterprise.

thanks

if you look on you tube under  ron jackson pig farmer youll see us at our farm, with the pigs ect,

3 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

we have just started farming red claw crayfish, only just started, we have got 9 trios of breeders at the moment and have just put 275 1 inch young ones in one of our rearing ponds,

more out of interest and we had a few old pig pens not doing nothing so i halfed them to make 3x2 mtr rearing ponds as in the pics,

i just like to keep busy and its another few quid coming in,or it will be

finnished ones.jpg

number 1.jpg

DSCF1082.JPG

crays 1.jpg

crays 2.jpg

crays 3.jpg

crays 4.jpg

Is it complicated ?

3 hours ago, Naam said:

:thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

when is the guesthouse ready PJ that i can come for a visit?

hi naam. 

they will be ready later this year,

i want to get everything tidy and ready for guests, get the garden all done, you know i want people to enjoy,

Archived