Like to watch? Citizens to have access to city street CCTV footage

snoop1130

Like to watch? Citizens to have access to city street CCTV footage

By Coconuts Bangkok

rsz_3847548521_0a4e6896ae_o.jpg

Photo: Ian Fuller/Flickr

As of Monday, residents will be able to watch and obtain footage from all Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s surveillance cameras at 12 locations around the city if they suspect a crime or suspicious activity on city streets.

Government workers will man at the stations 24-hours-per-day in three separate shifts so that crime victims can view many recordings immediately after a crime takes place.

Until now, it was only possible for residents to watch CCTV footage at City Hall in Phra Nakhon.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/06/watch-citizens-have-access-city-street-cctv-footage

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-1-6

This has been the case for at least the last 2 years. We live in Prawet District and we had to go to Prawet District Office and not BMA City Hall to view the CCTV footage when we had some thefts in our Moo Bahn near Seacon Square two years ago..

Yet another depressing example of how people everywhere are being brainwashed into sacrificing personal freedom for the illusion of security provided by an increasingly intrusive and authoritarian state.

George Orwell must be spinning in his grave, along with millions of our forefathers who died fighting for the human rights now being so easily surrendered.

Thailand is by no means the most blatant example of this egregious process.

My own homeland, the UK, has just introduced new surveillance laws which make the British people Big Brother's most abject subjects - with hardly a peep of protest from the political opposition or mass media.

Across Europe and the US, where administrations of every stripe trot out the phony, never-ending "war on terror" as justification, it is the same sad story.

Like some somnambulent contemporary Gulliver, entire populations appear unaware or unconcerned at being stealthily and systematically robbed of any control of their day-to-day lives - let alone what used to be called "a private life".  

It shouldn't and mustn't be this way. We are many and the Lilliputian bureaucrats who see us as little more than silly sheep are few.  Like the gentle giant of Swift's biting satire, we all need to wake up and start flexing our muscles.

Edited by Krataiboy
errors

Yet another depressing example of how people everywhere are being brainwashed into sacrificing personal freedom for the illusion of security provided by an increasingly intrusive and authoritarian state.

George Orwell must be spinning in his grave, along with millions of our forefathers who died fighting for the human rights now being so easily surrendered.

Thailand is by no means the most most blatant example of this egregious process.

My own homeland, the UK, has just introduced new surveillance laws which makes the British people Big Brother's most abject subjects - with hardly a peep of protest from the political opposition or mass media.

Across Europe and the US, where administrations of every stripe trot out the phony, never-ending "war on terror" as justification, it is the same sad story.

Like some somnambulent contemporary Gulliver, entire populations appear unaware or unconcerned at being stealthily and systematically robbed of any control of their day-to-day lives - let alone what used to be called "a private life".  

It shouldn't and mustn't be this way. We are many and the Lilliputian bureaucrats who see us as little more than silly sheep are few.  Like the gentle giant of Swift's biting satire, we all need to wake up and start flexing our muscles.

The guy that was stabbed to death the other day, the one that tried to fight off the mugger. Did they catch the suspect using CCTV?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

10 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Was asking a perfectly legitimate question, no need for insults.

Sorry if you felt my remark was insulting. The answer to your question regarding the stabbing incident is that I don't know. Do you? And if so, what is your point?

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

Seems like they did have him on CCTV stabbing the guy to death. Now whether that led them very quickly to apprehend the suspect I don't know, but IMHO it wouldn't have hindered matters.

I understand where you are coming from and yes, in some circumstances CCTV can act as a deterrent or help in identifying criminals. But cameras did not prevent the murder you refer to, nor do they deter most other violent crimes which take place in Thailand or elsewhere.

Whatever the merits of any surveillance system, there is a trade-off to be made between the need for individual and collective security and the impact on our individual privacy, rights and freedoms of measures implemented by public and private bodies claiming to act in those interests.  

Take the UK as an example of what I am talking about. Britain has around six million CCTV's  - or roughly one spy camera for every eleven people in what is one of the most law-abiding countries in the world. On average, each of us is captured on video eleven times a day - without even being asked if we mind.

Well, some of us DO mind - for reasons which I hope are clearer than the notoriously blurry images from the average Thai CCTV camera.

Edited by Krataiboy

I understand where you are coming from and yes, in some circumstances CCTV can act as a deterrent or help in identifying criminals. But cameras did not prevent the murder you refer to, nor do they deter most other violent crimes which take place in Thailand or elsewhere.

Whatever the merits of any surveillance system, there is a trade-off to be made between the need for individual and collective security and the impact on our individual privacy, rights and freedoms of measures implemented by public and private bodies claiming to act in those interests.  

Take the UK as an example of what I am talking about. Britain has around six million CCTV's  - or roughly one spy camera for every eleven people in what is one of the most law-abiding countries in the world. On average, each of us is captured on video eleven times a day - without even being asked if we mind.

Well, some of us DO mind - for reasons which I hope are clearer than the notoriously blurry images from the average Thai CCTV camera.

Detering crime, well maybe in some cases, but helping in detection, yes they must.
In the recent attack at the German market, the terrorist that drove the truck into the crowd. There were no CCTV cameras recording the incident, if this had happened in say London he could have probably been apprehended in minutes, following him using cameras.
When I use an ATM, go into a bank, supermarket, etc, the corner shop, I am recorded on camera. I have no problem with this, I am not a would be thief, bank robber, shoplifter. When I am walking the street you can film me all day, I consider myself a law abiding citizen. Everyone has their own views, these are mine.

Fair enough. But I wonder what your reaction would be if I, or another person you don't know, started following you around and taking your picture without your prior knowledge or agreement and for an unknown purpose?

I guess we shall just have to agree to disagree.