Sixties rock band The Doors mark 50th anniversary in Los Angeles

rooster59

2 hours ago, Trouble said:

Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin and others:  all long gone and all part of the late 60's and a time of change.  

The V&A has an exhibition on now in which all 3 figure. You Say You Want A Revolution: the songs of the era, 1965-69. For anyone who lived through the era, it's a bit simplistic but probably offers younger ones something of an introduction if not an insight. Worth £ 16.50 for anyone who will be in London before March .

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Many waited for hours in the rain

Waiting for the sun?  :cheesy:

Personally, I didn't buy it that you-know-who died when they said he did.  No great conspiracy thing, he just decided it was time to leave his fame and disapproving family behind.  There were a few novels out at the time that detailed how to do things like establish a new identity and fake a death; those published details ended up changing the way things like birth certificates are made available in most modern countries.  When his wife also died soon after I thought that made it obvious.  Probably had enough $$$ to last them the rest of their days.

After turning 50 I began a retrospective on the music that was so important to me in my younger days, and overall I'm embarrassed to admit I had all their albums.  It's a long way from 15 to 50.  There is a place in Penang called Love Street (actually Love Lane) that prompted me to put the song in mp3 pile.  That and Crystal Ship.  Forget the rest.  Patti Smith was a big Morrison fan, and her performances helped me see how lousy Jim's stuff was.

The most Doors-like band that came afterward (to my knowledge) was The Stranglers.  Here again a good song or two (my fave is their cover of "Walk on By" (yes, the Dionne Warwick song)) but they could easily sound like cheesy Halloween music.

Edited by bendejo