Windows 2000 Pro Support

Taggart

Anyone heard any rumours as to when Microsoft might stop supporting Windows 2000 Pro?

It's not set in stone but most likely January 2010. I earlier mistakenly reported Dec 2007.

cdnvic:

Thanks. The possibility of extending my old PC's life from 5 years to 8 years plus, sounds great.

Anyone heard any rumours as to when Microsoft might stop supporting Windows 2000 Pro?

It's not set in stone but most likely January 2010. I earlier mistakenly reported Dec 2007.

cdnvic:

Thanks. The possibility of extending my old PC's life from 5 years to 8 years plus, sounds great.

IMO, Windows 2000 has been the best Windows to date. :o

cdnvic:

IMO, Windows 2000 has been the best Windows to date. :o

if instead of making vista, they would have improved win2000 and tried to make the code faster and smaller, we would have a OS which works on all PCs fast and stable.

There were many time when I seriously considered putting Windows 2000 Pro back on my computer. Once I finally got all the correct drivers installed it ran flawlessly. Now my XP Pro is working quite well and as far as I am concerned, Vista is still three or four years in the future.

Better yet would be a commercial Linux version that has all the drivers installed and updates by itself. I want a system that I don't have to be constantly fiddling with. NO! I'm not a Microsoft fan by any means.

You might want to consider a Mac then, especially now that you can also run Windows on them using Bootcamp, or Paralells.

I went to the US in Sept./Oct and bought a new laptop. I did consider an Apple but chose an T43p IBM with all the bells and whistles. I got a great buy on it because it has the single core processor rather than the duo core. I was mainly concerned with my AutoCad not working properly on the Apple. I think anytime you have to use another program such as Bootcamp to run what you want to run it may end up having some glitches. MY AutoCad is a legal program and it was VERY expensive when I bought it. The IBM had Windows XP Pro already installed and so far I am VERY happy with my IBM.

You might want to consider a Mac then....

I liked the idea of Mac myself, until I heard on the news the other day that Greenpeace is running a campaign against Apple because the company is still using toxic chemicals in their Macbooks.