Bringing back items for resale to USA

Rigby40

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted here but I've always been given helpful answers. 

I couldn't find a clear answer to this concern that I have, try as I may.

I would like to bring back around 10 various small items in bulk in my two pieces of luggage(both of which I have a 50lb/22.7kg allowance, so 100lb in total of various products). For example: 1 suitcase is filled with 50 small wooden figures, 100 small bottles of massage oil, 100 cleansing face masks, 40 handmade necklaces etc... Is this going to be an issue leaving the Airport in Bkk or is it more of an issue when I arrive in the US(LAX)? There's a possibility that I might cut off a bit of the weight to stay under the $800 exempt allowance at customs but I'm more worried about them giving me problems if they realize it's for resale. None of this will be counterfeit goods.

On a related issue, how can they determine if I have less or more than $800 in goods if none of the products have a price tag in USD and very few even in Thai baht?

Your time and help is much appreciated!

Edited by Rigby40

I also go thru LAX ,  if they inspect you , well you are screwed !

there is no way they are going to believe they are for personal use or gifts when you have 100 of one item !

The chances of them putting you thru secondary inspection is low ,  but it has happened to me a few times,

ohh and weigh your empty suitcases , you will be amazed how heavy they are empty !

Good luck

6 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

I also go thru LAX ,  if they inspect you , well you are screwed !

there is no way they are going to believe they are for personal use or gifts when you have 100 of one item !

The chances of them putting you thru secondary inspection is low ,  but it has happened to me a few times,

ohh and weigh your empty suitcases , you will be amazed how heavy they are empty !

Good luck

Thanks for the response.

Would anyone then suggest I instead send a few 2-3kg packages back home to significantly reduce the amount I bring back with me on the plane? If I go this route, would I run into the same issue sending out from Thailand or receiving in the US? 

These are the declaration questions you need to answer.

14 Mark an X in the Yes or No box. Are you or any family members traveling with you bringing commercial merchandise into the United States? Examples: all articles intended to be sold or left in the United States, samples used for soliciting orders, or goods that are not considered personal effects.
15 If you are a U.S. resident, print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you have purchased or acquired abroad (including gifts for someone else, but not items mailed to the United States) and are bringing into the United States.

10 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

Would anyone then suggest I instead send a few 2-3kg packages back home to significantly reduce the amount I bring back with me on the plane?

I hope that this is not a money making opportunity because the postage will eat you alive and your possible profits 

11 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

On a related issue, how can they determine if I have less or more than $800 in goods if none of the products have a price tag in USD and very few even in Thai baht?

US Customs agents have a very good idea of the value of good purchased in a foreign country.  You may do it occasionally, these people do it every day, and have heard every story.  And even if you do have a receipt, their evaluation is what is used, not some piece of paper you may have in you possession  

29 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

I hope that this is not a money making opportunity because the postage will eat you alive and your possible profits 

The postage can't be that much can it?

I saw this on another post and it seems reasonable to me or am I missing something?

"From Chiang Rai to California by Thai Post, air mail, up to 20 Kg = 3,600thb…."

I'd only be shipping half that much.

Edited by Rigby40

I ratted myself out one time on my way back from China through LAX.  I had 50 fishing rods in a hard side golf club caddy, and figured there was no way to call them "personal".  I actually gave them out as gifts when I visited customers, which I figured was kind of commercial.  So I ticked the box...

The nice customs guy kidded me about creating more paperwork for him, and told me they don't really care unless the value goes above $2,000.

I have no clue what the real policy is.  I only know what happened to me.

Edited by impulse

9 hours ago, impulse said:

I ratted myself out one time on my way back from China through LAX.  I had 50 fishing rods in a hard side golf club caddy, and figured there was no way to call them "personal".  I actually gave them out as gifts when I visited customers, which I figured was kind of commercial.  So I ticked the box...

The nice customs guy kidded me about creating more paperwork for him, and told me they don't really care unless the value goes above $2,000.

I have no clue what the real policy is.  I only know what happened to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll keep this in mind.