Graham Taylor dead at 72

Chicog

As a Norwegian I remember him from 1993 , when Norway beat England 2-0 .  I was there that night  , in Ulleval stadium .  We had a good team back then . Taylor was slaughtered by the British tabloids and they gave him the nick name "the turnip" .  

Great memory for me but he was a good manager at club level and highly respected . R.I.P. 

Edited by balo

sad that. got a few friends in watford who knew him and said what a gentleman and genuine football man he was. always liked him as a co-commentator on the radio as well. he was treated disgracefully by those vile bastards in the gutter press back when he was england manager. RIP.

10 hours ago, balo said:

As a Norwegian I remember him from 1993 , when Norway beat England 2-0 .  I was there that night  , in Ulleval stadium .  We had a good team back then . Taylor was slaughtered by the British tabloids and they gave him the nick name "the turnip" .  

Great memory for me but he was a good manager at club level and highly respected . R.I.P. 

Wasn't that 1981 when Ron Greenwood was manager? Turnip came from Englands defeat against Sweden in 92 Euros. Swedes 2,Turnips 0.

Edited by champers

21 minutes ago, champers said:

Wasn't that 1981 when Ron Greenwood was manager? Turnip came from Englands defeat against Sweden in 92 Euros. Swedes 2,Turnips 0.

and it came from the same vile rag that is now calling him a "true gentleman". hypocritical bastards.

56 minutes ago, champers said:

You had to ruin a perfectly good argument by bringing facts into it.

:smile:

Still it's a good opportunity to give this another airing... (And he got the score wrong, too).

Yes that was another highlight for the tiny football nation Norway .

But I also remember 1993 and 2-0. England did not stand a chance in that game  I felt sorry for Graham Taylor , the tabloids went berserk .  

Taylor said: "We made a complete mess of it. I'm here to be shot at and take the rap. I have no defence for our performance" The press came up with headlines such as "NORSE MANURE" and "OSLO RANS".

14 minutes ago, champers said:

So Norway beating England is a more regular occurance than I thought. Where have all the good Norwegian players gone?

Not many left , but there is a young player in Real Madrid , Odegaard , he is very promising for the future.  Maybe some day we'll be back.

Iceland is taking over now  .  :post-4641-1156694572:

4 hours ago, balo said:

Iceland is taking over now  .  :post-4641-1156694572:

" 70% of Icelandic football coaches have a UEFA B Licence and 23% have the A Licence."

and

"The result is a spread of expertise right down to the lowest level. “Here you need a Uefa B licence to coach from under-10 level up and half of the Uefa B licence to coach under-eights,” Dagur Sveinn Dagbjartsson of the Icelandic FA says. This isn’t simply box-ticking. The Uefa B is one step off the level needed to coach a professional team in England. Yelling dads it ain’t. "